• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Returning a lost ipad.
  • CHB

So, yesterday my mate finds a lost ipad on the Leeds to Selby train. Naturally he wants to return it to the rightful owner.

He called me as he knows me and my family are Apple ios based (he is a full Android house).

He told me that the ipad had been wiped, but on more questioning I think the daft eejit has caused it to self wipe by entering the password too many (10) times.

I have told him to notify Leeds lost property. Any suggestions on best way to find the owner of this? Will an Apple store be able to help?

Does the “find my iphone” app still track a device that is locked/erased due to password multiple attempts?

Thanks for any advice I can pass to my mate.

bensales
    Free Member

The owner could have remotely erased it using iCloud.  It’d be the first thing I’d do if I lost my phone or iPad.

Handing in to the Police would be better than the railway lost property.

Drac

The find my iPad will only work if it has a data connection anyway.

Not sure if Apple can contact the owner but certainly worth a try.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Yes, it needs a data connection. If it has ‘find my iPhone’ then it’s signed into iCloud and Apple will be able to contact the owner.

RoterStern
    Free Member

<i>The owner could have remotely erased it using iCloud. It’d be the first thing I’d do if I lost my phone or iPad.</i>

How is that possible without data connection?

Drac

How is that possible without data connection?

It could be it has a data connection.

bensales
    Free Member

It could be a cellular iPad.  It could be connected to the train’s wifi.  It could be set to connect to any open public wifi.

Many ways.  When you send the command to wipe the device, it sits in a queue, and if the device appears online it’ll execute the command.

CHB

Not sure if it’s a cellular model. I am picking it up from my mate this morning and calling into Apple store to see if they can help. 🙂

Also…. this was found on a train in t’North…..WIFI??!!!!! We only just got rid of the steam engines and replaced them with trains made from old busses!

poly
    Free Member

He “should” have handed it in to the guard/station staff.  Failing that he should hand it to the police.  (Although many police forces would rather it wasn’t their issue, it currently is).

assuming find my iPhone was active he shouldn’t be surprised if there was a knock at the door and an accusation of theft/theft-by-finding.  I would suggest if he wants to keep hunting for the owner (and that is a laudable aim as the police will not) that he should call 101 to let the police know they have the device – and confirm which police station to ultimately take it to and opening hours.  That should help ensure there is a record that there is no intent to steal.

slackalice
    Free Member

I endeavour not to use words like “should” and “ought” as I find them rather negative, limiting and controlling.

Choice, we always have a choice. He “could have” gives a much more conciliatory feel don’t you agree?

As you were 😉

CHB

In his defence, I think he found it yesterday PM as he was getting off the train at an unmanned station, so limited options for handing it in yesterday.

Will ensure he makes the appropriate overstretched and undermotivated police aware.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Returning a lost ipad.’ is closed to new replies.