Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Retro-Roadie Freewheel Fiasco. HELP!!!!!!!!!
  • paperjohn1
    Free Member

Sorry, this is a real poser. I have a Mavic series 8 screw on hub (7spd) and need to extract an Everest Titanium freewheel from the hub. It looks like a suntour fitting but it’s deeper and the lugs need to be thinner. I’ve scrapped 2 suntour keys that I’ve addapted to try and fit it but the hardness of the Titanium just rips the softer tool away. All the gears have been removed so the access is fully exposed.

My Four questions are:
    1- Is there a special tool available?
    2- Has anyone got one?
    3- Nobody would loctite a freewheel on surely?
    4- Am I missing something?

slimraybob
    Free Member

Have you tried putting the freewheel tool in a vice and turning the wheel? this gives you that bit more grunt.
    Is the hub still built onto a wheel, if not and you have just the hub you may be buggered.
    Have a look at the park tools site for compatable freewheel tool.
    I had a 25 yr old Suntour freewheel theat hadn’t been touched since the day it left the factory, that took well over an hour.

paperjohn1
    Free Member

It’s not grunt we’re short of it’s most likely a special tool but the hub is laced to a rim (thank god)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Granny , eggs etc maybe but can you hold the tool in place with a QR then put it in the vice. Alternatively can you make a 2 pronged tool out of some steel bar?
    Or try retrobike.com

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not being funny but you do know both freewheel and hub are pretty redundant?

paperjohn1
    Free Member

I know they are old hat so to speak but it’s got personal now and it’s comming off even if I have to take an angle grinder to it. I want to mount the hubs (polished) on a presentation piece for a guy who did 37000 miles in two years on them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If the hub doesn’t need to work… angle grinder.

It’s not the “hardness” of the ti, it’s the combo of not having the right tool and how tightly on it is.

Dis-assemble it as much as possible, grind a groove/notch and hamme/chisel.

Good luck, nice gift idea.

rootes1

Suntour tools come in 2 prong and 4 prong flavours…

As above lock took on wheel with with axle/QR etc then put tool in vice and turn wheel

Picto
    Free Member

Old school freewheels have always been a pita to get off ime, even with the correct tool.

If the freewheel threads are ti and not been prepped with antiseize there has probably been some galvanic corrosion between the ti and the hub. If so it will be a nightmare to remove, and will probably result in you killing the threads anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Retro-Roadie Freewheel Fiasco. HELP!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.