Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Retro road bike, wheel thread and help needed
  • weeksy

One of the lads has an old retro custom built Geoff Butler road bike.

He needs some new wheels for it. Deffo a rear, but a pair may be nice too.

I believe it’s 8 speed, shimano cassette type. Obviously rim brakes.

So can we buy a 10 speed pair and fit them with some sort of spacer ? Or do we need an 8 speed specific hub ?

Info appreciated.

fossy

Yes you can 10speed will work fine. You just use a spacer on the ‘spoke’ side of the freehub. You may not need a spacer as 8 speed is as wide as 9/10 sometimes a little wider, believe it or not.

I have 7 and 8 speed cassettes running on newer 10 speed wheels.

weeksy

Ah, that’s fantastic news and massively opens up the options.

simondbarnes

No spacer required unless it is an 11spd freehub (and that should come with the spacer anyway)

weeksy

we’ve got plenty of them anyway from previous wheels etc..

bigyan
    Free Member

Might be worth a quick check of the hub/frame width.

For HG freehub length 8/9/10s are all the same, 11s is 1.85mm longer, 7s is 4.5mm shorter.

Certain cassettes with rivets/bolts will not seat on a flat spacer, they will need a spacer with slots for the heads.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or go 10s, the pull ratio on the mechs in the same, just get a newer shifter (10s friction doesn’t really work reliably).

weeksy

Well hes got tube mounted shifters so not sure how viable that would be.

dovebiker

Downtube adaptors allow you to run handlebar mounted gear shifters

jonba
    Free Member

Retro bikes of a certain age have slightly narrower rear hub spacing. 126mm not 130mm IIRC. On a steel frame it has never been an issue. There is enough flex to accommodate.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If its running 8speed then its already 130 or its got enough give.

I’d personally go 11peed hub. Then you can run anything from 8 now to 11 in the future.

I’d also keep the downtube shifters. With 8 speed they’re ace. Just a nice way to ride a bike. And you learn really fast to read the road ahead. No desperate last minute changes while out the saddle churning up a hill 😀

dovebiker

8 speed is 130mm OLN – as it was when 7 speed became the norm in the mid-80s

martymac

As above, a 10speed cassette will fit,
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/shimano-duraace-sl7900-10-spd-brazeon-down-tube-shifters/
    Those will pull the existing mech and work perfectly.
    Edit: i use dura ace 10 speed bar end shifters pulling a 9 speed xt mech over a 10 speed cassette.
    Works perfectly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Retro road bike, wheel thread and help needed’ is closed to new replies.