• This topic has 38 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by marc.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Retro MTBs as your only bike (s) – anyone riding something older?
  • beamers

The MTBs in my fleet are an Orange Sub 3 and a Pace RC200F8 from circa 2003 and 2000 (I think.)

Anyone on here riding anything older than that as their main regular rides (i.e not reserved for retro bike outings)

ajantom

A 1999 RC200!

Markie
    Free Member

My wife’s bike is a 1993 Kona Explosif, if that counts – it gets thrashed round through the spring / summer / autumn…

mark90
    Free Member

Not my main bike but my 1998 Orange 02 gets regular use. Currently fitted with a weeride seat for jnr.

copa
    Free Member

Never owned a post-millenial bike. Got a 1990 Courier Comp and 1998 Kona Lava Dome.

parkesie
    Free Member

All my bikes from back then are complete scrap. Bent cracked worn through tubes exploded rims throwing star gears.

amedias
    Free Member

I ride plenty of things older, but not as a ‘main’ bike, but then I don’t have a ‘main bike as such…

jimw
    Free Member

2001 Litespeed Kitsuma regularly out and about, never been to a retrobike outing- does it qualify?, It is not my only bike

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

For years until Autumn last it was this:

SaxonRider

My brother rides my old 2001 Trek Fuel 90. It’s his only bike, and he loves it.

I have tried to get him to upgrade a number of times, but it’s actually not a bad bike. I think it even looks nice.

pitduck
    Free Member

don,t really have main bike,but ride 2005 5 spot,a 97 cinder cone,or a soul 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Trusty Rusty…….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eSmeff]Mk 8[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Built in 1990 from fillet brazed Tange Prestige & the only original tubes are the RH seat & chainstays. Even Triggers brush doesn’t have a look in.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m exclusively riding a 1998 Voodoo Erzulie at the moment.. all lovely skinny steel tubes and sexy headbadge

With a Singular fork the geo is quite Jonesy and it saves me dragging the Soul out from under all the clothes and toys in the kid’s bedroom 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

The mtb I ride the most is my 2003 enduro sx inc bpw afan etc
    Despite a modest 124mm rear travel it takes it all.

I do have other and newer bikes just this one seems to get used most

firestarter
    Free Member

I have a tourer/cx and a fatty but my only mtb and most ridden is my 95 cinder cone

kcal

have a GP (general purpose) and a road bike (2003 Allez, thanks Donald).
    But my two MTBs are a Kilauea 1995 (SS, rigid) and a Stumpie M2 1998 (geared, HT).

So, yes, whatever MTB I take out at the moment it’s a retro ride!
    They are both pretty good TBH – short blasts, the SS is very very good, and last week was out for 4 rides in total on the M2, it’s really quite quick when you want to hustle along. Hard work though..

beamers

Some nice bikes appearing on this thread.

Here’s my Sub 3:

crankboy
    Free Member

My main as in ridden most bike is a 1994? Orange p7 one of the first to have v brakes as standard. My main as in best bike is a 2003 bag of bits on a 2009 SantaCruz SL frame . all years vague .

Waderider
    Free Member

Have to say I am amazed reading this thread that I seem to win. My 1991 Orange Clockwork + later Pace RC30’s seems to win. Regularly seen on low level routes round Fort William.

kiwijohn

My summer best. 95 DBR Axis TT.

epicyclo

1998 1×1 for about 20% of my riding.

allan23
    Free Member

I still ride my 98 Zaskar, not done as much off road in the last year as a CX bike does for most of my local rides.

The Zaskar is good enough that I have wondered why the hell I was seduced by the lure of full suspension and I have considered getting rid of the FS.

core

One of the guys I ride with regularly is still on a 1994 Specialized Rockhopper complete with Pace forks. It’s been his only mtb since he had it new. Only concession are some modern tyres, Specialized ‘The Capatain’ I think.

Makes me feel a right tit, struggling to keep up on my dropper post’d Soul, 120mm forks, big tyres, wide bars etc……. Particularly when I keep looking at other bikes/frames chasing ‘progress’.

slowjo
    Free Member

Must say, I like the look of kiwijohn’s bike. Very nice.

amedias
    Free Member

Have to say I am amazed reading this thread that I seem to win. My 1991 Orange Clockwork + later Pace RC30’s seems to win

I could raise you a 1984 Mountain Klein but would have to concede that although ridable and ready to go it doesn’t get much use.

If we took the MTB requirement off then there’s a lot of much older bikes still being used, and I’m pretty sure Epicyclo would win hands down 😉

finbar
    Free Member

This is my only MTB at the moment. Been riding Parkwood Springs in Sheffield a lot on it recently.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My wife rides a Specialized Hardrock Ultra from 1992, all original bar the usual consumables.

mark90
    Free Member

Now I think about it my 1998 02 isn’t the oldest in regular use, my 1996 Halfords Carrera has recently been pressed back into service to fit a hamax child seat to. Still mostly original with 3×7 speed integrated shifters/brake levers, canti brakes. Back in the day used to ride that all round the Peak, everything from Tissington and High peak trails to Jacobs ladder, Hagg farm, etc.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ll be racing in SXC on a 2000 Scott hardtail. My other MTBs have frames from 2005/2006, and the odd part from earlier (2001 Z1’s that have outlasted 2 frames, for example).

It’s not a deliberate retro step, I’ve had 2 out of 3 of my MTBs since new.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Not sure of it qualified as retro yet, but Mrs W has a 2006 Horst Link Turner 5 spot as her only MTB. It gets ridden properly between pregnancies. Actually, she did one of Ed’s flow courses 3 month gone a few years ago. Don’t tell him though.

nedrapier

My most ridden bike (commuter, both ends of a train journey – would be pushing it to call it 4 rides a day, though!) is a 1991 Bontrager OR.

Regular ride is a 1999 Dekerf Generation. Recent paint job, disc tab added at the back, Philcentric BB/SS tensioner, Salsa Cromoto forks and a Hugo/3.0 knard up front, so it’s been kept in fancy bits. As brilliant to ride as ever.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Just split this week my Gary Fisher Paragon 1999. Was my main bike for last 6 months as sold one bike and another in bits. Split to sell as bought new road bike last week and making myself get my other mtb back together by splitting and selling the Fisher.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

94/95′ Diamondback Response Sport Tru Temper AVR steel.

01′ Zaskar Team.

Trek SU200 ’06.

Time for them to go but the hoarder in me says no!

dahedd
    Free Member

My bike for commuting is a 16/17 year old Gary Fisher Sugar full sus. Desperately needs a new headset but still goes & the front forks still work pretty well even though the rear had pretty much jammed up.

the-muffin-man

This is my only MTB – an original Ti Inbred. Doesn’t get used much though…

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

snap! (@muffin-man)

Original Tinbred in my car now for Swinley duties tonight, can’t really justify changing it TBH. Is still an excellent bike.

My proper retro bike is an Overbury’s Pioneer, but that’s in bits in my Mum’s garage at the moment, unfortunately.

kiwijohn

slowjo – Member
    Must say, I like the look of kiwijohn’s bike. Very nice.

Thanks Slowjo.

beamers

My proper retro bike is an Overbury’s Pioneer, but that’s in bits in my Mum’s garage at the moment, unfortunately.

Nice. Spent many hours looking at the Overbury’s Pioneer ad way back in the day.

marc
    Free Member

Still riding a 1993 Pace F2 from time to time.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Retro MTBs as your only bike (s) – anyone riding something older?’ is closed to new replies.