Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Retro HIFI-ists – what CD player / amp combo’s are you running?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m running a basic system: Onkyo CD7030 and a Yamaha RS-202D; mainly listening through some Philips Fidelio X2HR/00.

Do higher end CD players and amps make a HUGE difference? I’m not talking £5k+ but stuff from Cyrus, Roksan etc.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Have you tried an external DAC?

I have a CA Dac Magic and a Topping D30. The Topping was about £80 when I got it a couple of years ago and you can tell difference.

Topping D30 £90

cinnamon_girl

Never thought of myself as retro! Early 80’s (retro) Duel amp with Rega CD player using B&W bookshelf speakers. Happy with that.

restlessshawn
    Free Member

Nad 312 i bought new in the 90s
    Marantz CD63-SE
    Gale 2i speakers on the wall

I like the sound so no plan to change really…

AdamT

Dunno if it counts, but I’m listening to a Rotel RCD 965bx and pioneer a300x. ’92 I think.

whatgoesup

In traditional STW fashion I’ll recommend what I’ve got….
    No CD player – a Raspberry Pi with external DAC (not so retro), Quad 405 amp (pretty retro) and some 1980’s Snell speakers (pretty retro). It all sounds good.

I think that the speakers being suitable for the room is by far the most important thing – get that right and the rest is straightforward, assuming a good quality amp.

Just my 2p worth of course.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve got a Technics PG490 CD player which cost a £100 about 20 years ago. A few years later I decided to upgrade to a NAD 521(??) which cost £200. Couldn’t tell the difference and the NAD packed up after a couple of years.

plop-pants
    Free Member

Arcam Delta 60 amp and Delta 90.2 CD player. Have to turn the volume up and down on the amp a few times when using it before both channels kick in (dunno why, maybe someone can help with that) but otherwise works ok and the sound is still pretty damn good.

cyclelife
    Free Member

NAD 621cd
    Musical Fidelity A1 as power & Pre amp and 2 x monoblocks running Dali Royal Menuet 2’s – Bi amped.

andykirk
    Free Member

Derek – yes, they can. The source is the most important piece of equipment.

As stated above room acoustics make a huge difference.

As do power supplies.

Best ever hifi I heard was a record player though.

howarthp

Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista M3 amp and Linn Ikemi CD (although mostly stream Tidal via Linn Akurate DS)

stevemorg2

Linn Klassik integrated amp/tuner/CD – lovely sound and even better with my Rega Planar playing through it

tartanscarf

Mix of old and new here:

Rega Planar 3 turntable and Mordant Short speakers. Must be 30 years old at least.

Demon TU260 tuner and Technics 490 CD player, probably 12 years old.

New Onkyo A9110 amp as my old Creek amp gave up the ghost recently.

Arcam Bluetooth dongle to connect my phone to the amp – new.

Awesome sound all round in my opinion. First upgrade when I have cash will be a better CD player, amp after that then new speakers.

TS.

andykirk
    Free Member

Ancient Sony Cd Player
    Yamaha Tape Deck
    Naim Nac82 Pre Amp
    Naim Hicap Power Supply
    Naim Nap180 Power Amp
    JMLabs Speakers
    ..and it is just fabulous, but was more fabulous with a Naim CDX CD player, which I sold.

failedengineer

Nothing special on paper, but sounds pretty damn good compared to other people’s streaming systems: Dual Cs-505-2; Cambridge Audio amp; Rega phono amp; NAD CD player and Kef Cresta speakers on stands.

joelowden

Linn Karik cd player
    Mission Cyrus 2 with PSX
    Tannoy Eyris speakers.
    Does sound really good but…..have started listening to vinyl and it is better than cd any day.

simondbarnes

Marantz PM-66se KI sig

Marantz CD-63 mkii KI sig

Mission 773e

All getting on for 25 years old now but still love the sound. My turntable gets a lot more use than the cd player though.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Musical Fidelity A1 amp and Marantz CD65II currently, the more modern system is a Linn Classik. Plus a Linn Axis turntable and Marantz ST4000 tuner. Ruark Prelude speakers. Nothing is younger than 20 years.
    One day I will upgrade…

peteimpreza

Arcam Alpha 7 CD player

Rotel Pre-amp

Feeding 4 x Rotel RB850 power amps all running as mono-blocs

Which power a pair of Kef IQ 90 speakers

All second hand off eBay

Sound quality is out of this world and the power delivers frightening sound levels

csb

I’m not convinced that cd players adhere to the ‘spend more on your source’ rule.

Ive had a few, kenwood in the 80s (120 quid), jvc dvd in 90s (100 quid), cyrus in the 2000s (1000 quid), now on an Arcam (400 quid) and there really hasn’t been much difference between them.

The cyrus was a total disappointment as its capacitor leaked inside and rendered it unfixable after 10 years.

I’d focus on getting the right speakers for your room size and shape.

redstripe
    Free Member

All 90’s Technics A class separates inc. 1210 turntable (never gone wrong, still sounds good, touch wood) with newer Dali bookshelf speakers & one of those cheap Esinkin bluetooth adaptors, does the job

whatgoesup

I’m not convinced that cd players adhere to the ‘spend more on your source’ rule.

I agree. I think that the “spend more on your source” idea came from turntables, which are a fundamentally challenging method of reproducing music and hence need a lot of effort hence expense to sound good. (Despite which – I still want a really nice one one day when I can justify it.)

I’d focus on getting the right speakers for your room size and shape.

I fully agree with this – start with the speaker / room / personal preference bit and then work backwards from there.

Or….. endlessly swap and tinker which is quite good fun in its own right and if it’s second hand gear doesn’t cost anything (can even make a profit).

tenfoot

I have my Dad’s old Cyrus amp, power supply and CD player connected to some Systym speakers. I also have a Planar 3 deck which is currently in my wardrobe.

Next week I should be taking delivery of a Naim QB2 and the HiFi will be going up in the loft as “it takes up too much room” but I can’t bear to part with it as it was my Dad’s and we went around numerous HiFi shops debuting different systems and combinations , deciding this one sounded best.

parkesie
    Free Member

Marantz cd52mk2se and a Cyrus 1 amp here making noise through some b&w 601 speakers. I really like the sound. Amp is in need of a refurb really but still works.

lorax

Naim 72/140 with a Rega Planar 3. All well over 25 years old, and sounds fantastic.
    If anyone want to buy a Naim CDi or an Onix BWD1 FM tuner let me know!

crouisk
    Free Member

arcam alpa CD 1987
    audiolab 8000A 1989
    audiolab 8000p 1990
    rega planer 3 / rb300 1989
    tannoy dc6tse 2007
    wharfdale sw150 sub 2020
    Rpi 3 / allo digione
    music fidelity v-dac

all good 😁

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Marantz CD80
    Musical Fidelity A3
    Linx Stratos Monoblocs
    Monitor Audio R300

stumpy01

My hi-fi is a right old Richer Sounds love fest…

NAD 3020i amp, which sounds good but could really do with some more grunt. It’s fine but a conservative 20w per channel.

Luxman D322 cd player

TDL RTL MkII floorstanders, which i love. They’re relatively compact, but with a ton of oomph when needed.
    I used to have KEF Coda 9s, but while i preferred the sound and they were very sensitive so easy for the amp to drive, the quality control was shocking. I had 4 pairs with loose front baffles before giving up on them.

RustySpanner

Do higher end CD players and amps make a HUGE difference? I’m not talking £5k+ but stuff from Cyrus, Roksan etc.

Yes.

But before price kicks in, you have to work out which company produces products that you prefer the sound of.

I like Marantz and Creek amps.
    To me, Arcam and NAD are a bit dull and closed in, whilst Cyrus are way too forward.

Same with speakers – I like the house sound of Tannoy – Monitor Audio not so much.

Older Technics CD players and Rega/Pink Triangle turntables work for me. Linn not so much.

Pick a sound you like – spending more within that brand will give incremental improvements but won’t fundamentally change the tone.

Basically, do voices sound like real voices?
    Do simple instruments like brass, guitar and piano sound like the real thing?
    Can you hear the bass? Is it distinct and does it go as low as it should?
    Can you tell acoustic bass from electric?

You’re more than welcome to pop round and have a listen.

Rega 3 turntable with a Denon cartridge.
    Marantz PM66KI amp (If you can find one, buy it).
    Technics SLPG CD player.
    Tannoy DC6T floorstanders.

Could not be happier.

bazzer
    Free Member

Thorens TD160 Turntable.
    Arcam Alpha 10 integrated Amp
    Arcam Alpha 10 Power amp (bi-amping speakers)
    Arcam alpha 8 CD player
    Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC
    Denon DRM-700 cassette player.
    Monitor Audio GR20 floor standers

My Arcam Alpha 10 Power amp has developed a fault so currently trying to sort that out. So only running on one amp at the moment.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My old Technics cd player is a bit temperamental these days. Is it worth looking on eBay for a replacement or would that be a waste of time and money?

redmex
    Free Member

Marantz 50 se from 1991, I have two of them never missed a beat. Sony Ta-fe 370 amp does the job and speakers Aegis are my favourites

jim25

I have an Arcam A19 connected to a Naim CD5si playing in a set of B and W 603’s

perchypanther
    Free Member

Matsui midi hi-fi.

FM, 3 band graphic equaliser, high speed dubbing, the lot

budgierider67

Rega Planar 3 with PSU
    Meridian 556.24 CD player
    Meridian 501 preamp
    Meridian 556 power amp
    Royd Doublet speakers
    Apple Airport Express for connectivity to iPad/Spotify etc.

simon1975

The Matsui one where a 12″ record sticks out the side? Quality, but I had the 5-band equalizer…

Currently I have a NAD3020e eBay bargain but I replaced the 2 big capacitors with something modern. The pots are still clean, which is nice. Takes 10 minutes to warm up, real dirty bass at low volumes, I love it through my old-ish Aegis One speakers. No need for CDs these days.

johnners
    Free Member

FM, 3 band graphic equaliser, high speed dubbing, the lot

Swoons.

sadmadalan

ARCAM Alpha Amp
    Denon CD Player
    JPW P1 Speakers
    LINN Axis Turntable

The speakers really need replacing – and I’m tempted to upgraded the Amp as well.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Ho ho!

I wonder how much my thread is gong to cost you lot?

I bet the Richer Sounds’ website has had some traffic since.

I think I’ll stick with my current set-up as I’m not convinced my 51 year old ears would pick out the difference.

Can I just add that the Philips X2HRs I bought just this week are fantastic. Not just for the money (£127.28 AMZN) but in their own right.

Scapegoat

Bought with wedding present money back in February 1990:

Mission Cyrus One amp
    NAD CD player (drawer stopped opening a while back so it was replaced with an eBay bargain NAD C521BEE of indeterminate age, but sounds really very good)
    Dual 501 Audiophile series turntable.

Think I need to open up the Cyrus and blow some of the dust out of it…. it started blowing fuses if I move it so I suspect fluff ingress causing shorts, and the volume switch is a bit crunchy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Retro HIFI-ists – what CD player / amp combo’s are you running?’ is closed to new replies.