Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Retro Computer (iMac G3) Diagnosis – Dead as a doornail or fixable?
  • beamers

Now this is going to be a longshot.

I’ve got an old iMac G3/400 which has been sat idle for some time. I was using it for pumping out choons in the garage (its got a Harmon Kardon designed sound system in it) and was quite good in that role. However, that garage was quite damp, through humidity rather than water coursing through it, and the Mac started to make a noise which could best be described as a sort of hissing and fizzing noise when it was switched on.

I’m not sure if the damp conditions were anything to do with it but the sensible thing to do would have been to take it into the house while it was still working to see if the noise stopped.

Naturally I didn’t do that and just continued to use it until one day there was the familiar fizzing noise when I turned it on following by silence and no activity at all.

Anyone have any ideas? I’ve tried changing the fuse in the plug but that didn’t fix it. Do they have fuses inside or do the symptoms I’ve described sound terminal and its time to turn into an iMacquarium?

Ta in advance.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Sounds like a power supply, I had an even older 2fx machine and the PS3 went Mekong a sort of buzzing fizzing sound.
    Unless you can find a replacement PSu I’d say dead. They’re not even pc psu’s. You could pull the plug and test the output on each. Might have a fuse in the back if the machine, can’t think from memory what my G3 had.

beamers

Cheers Mikey.

I’ve just tried powering it up again and there is some juice going into it as I can hear a very feint sound (static crackle) from the speakers when I press the power button.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Retro Computer (iMac G3) Diagnosis – Dead as a doornail or fixable?’ is closed to new replies.