Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Retiring carbon bars
  • tuboflard

I had a decent sized off in the summer on my singlespeed and gave my carbon bars a bit of a whack in the process. There’s a small gouge as a result out of the front of the bars about 5cm to the side of the stem. I’ve been riding them ever since but it’s always in the back of my mind and want to replace like for like (Chromag Cutlass).

But, what to do with the old bars? Don’t think I’ve ever had to dispose of a set of bars before especially not carbon ones. In the wheelie bin? To the tip for disposal? Or do bike shops take them and get them responsibly recycled?

chiefgrooveguru

Chop them up and throw them in the bin. They can’t be recycled properly. Alloy bars are good scrap and can be made into new bars.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wot he said.

bruneep

facebook market place…….

duncancallum

I fitted a couple pair of bar ends on an unused bar and stem combo
    and it’s now helmet and kit hanger in the garage.

walleater

Without seeing how bad the issue is…..you could just give them away? Might well be totally fine for a commuter etc. I can only remember seeing one carbon bar failing in recent times (which was a reputable brand that has a huge ‘fanboy’ following so was a bit of a surprise).

tuboflard

They’re not too bad (don’t have a photo to hand). They’d be fine on a commuter. If anyone wants them for nothing let me know in the next couple of weeks else they’re getting chopped up. 780mm Chromag Cutlass bars, around 5 years old I think.

cjr61

I’d love those tub…would be excellent on my baby carrier bike. Easy riding only! Top karma

tuboflard

PM me @cjr61 and we can work out how to get them to you.

ajantom

Only bars I’ve ever snapped were a set of carbon Renthals.

Actually, no not true. I destroyed a set of Xlite aluminium bars (and then the Ti replacements they gave me) in about 1992.

I know it’s a data set of one, but it has put me off carbon bars.

tuboflard

I’m sure these will be fine for pootling. Rode Devils Elbow (eastern Peak) on them yesterday so pretty confident in them but don’t want to push my luck too much. Damage was done falling off a stone clapper bridge on a solo ride. Would have been funny had it not been at the start of lockdown and hurt like hell.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Retiring carbon bars’ is closed to new replies.