Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Restoring sofas…
  • footflaps

Our two sofas are looking rather worse for wear.

We have to use throws to cover up the various holes eg..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kRomk9]Cat scratching pad[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

They’re 20 years old from Sofa workshop direct and we have four cats, who use them as scratching pads and for projectile vomit target practice eg I have two cushion covers in the wash for the second time this week!!!

However, they’re still comfy and structurally intact and the cushions are in good shape, so I am loathe to throw them in landfill.

However, I suspect having new removable covers made will cost more than just replacing them.

Thoughts?

If new we’d need very hard wearing with removable covers, which restricts the choice quite a bit.

stumpy01

My parents had their sofa re-upholstered by a friend who does it for a business & gave them mates rates.
    I think it cost more than our new sofa cost, and that was at mates rates. Apparently they chose one of the most expensive fabrics that the woman uses, but even so it seemed a lot of money to me.
    It does look good though.

If you find the sofa comfortable, it might be worth doing? No harm in getting a price, although I’d be annoyed to get it done & find the cats trashing it.

midlifecrashes
    5plusn8
    Free Member

check ebay or the web for the model as sometimes covers are on ebay, sometimes there are cover manufacturers that will have done your sofa already.
    Sofa workshop and ikea covers are quite common on ebay.

footflaps

Durable, semi-custom loose covers

Well played!

BillMC

We’ve just bought the fabric (9m) to cover an arm chair, £200. I would ditch it and scan Ebay for your next cat comforter.

martin_t
    Free Member

It might look pretty fly with some contrasting patches sewn on for that shabby chic look (or it could look shit)

Hohum
    Free Member

We used to have 2 sofas from Sofa Workshop as well and two springs broke on one of them.

The fabric was also looking quite tired, so we looked into having them repaired and recovered.

The price was slightly more than two new ones from M&S!

So, we went with the new ones and sold the old two for spares or repair. The woman who bought them was going to refurbish them herself.

footflaps

The price was slightly more than two new ones from M&S!

Just had a look, not removable covers unfortunately…

FB-ATB

Weren’t they a wedding present from your dearly departed parents and they have lots of happy memories? Practice crying on demand & get down to the Repair Shop & they’ll do them for free.

footflaps

Weren’t they a wedding present from your dearly departed parents and they have lots of happy memories?

Yes, the last thing they said to me on their deathbed was ‘make sure you keep the covers in good condition’……

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Restoring sofas…’ is closed to new replies.