Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Restaurent recommendations in Middlesbrough
  • RustyMac

Afternoon all, I’m hoping some of the nice people on here can recommend some places to eat in Middlesbrough. I am down here for the next 2 nights with a couple of colleges on a training course. We are in the Thistle in the city centre so hopefully there will be some places we can get to in walking distance.
    But if we need to get a taxi that shouldn’t be too big a deal.

Cheers

Rusty Mac

smatkins1
    Free Member

You wanna find somewhere selling the local speciality, a Chicken Parmo.

midlifecrashes

Not much help either, but I always head for Y K Chow chippy on Oliver Street in Linthorpe village. Wonderful, though a quick thought tells me I’ve been going in for 38 years this year.

RustyMac

Just Googled that – Chicken Parmo, if that is the local speciality I better head to gym now before we head out for food.

midlifecrashes

Yep, Parmo was invented there, head for the bright lights of Southfield or Parliament Road for some prime examples.

RustyMac

Any recommendations for any of the following
    Pub grub
    Curry house
    Burger joint?

bigtimebones
    Free Member

Akbars on Linthorpe Road does a cracking curry.

Try Central Park for the Parmo or Burgers. Get a full parmo and I can guarantee you wont come out hungry.

La Pharmacie has a good rep but never eaten there myself. Plus its about five minutes from the hotel.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

Yarm is always a good shout. About a 15min taxi ride away and plenty of Bars and Restaurants.

Muse and Cena are very very good

duckers
    Free Member

La pharmacie or akbars, southfield road afterwards. Yarm is best on Tuesdays (grab a granny/grandad night), quiet other nights.

kinda666
    Free Member

Europa for a Parmo?? Last time i went in there a guy was asleep with his face in his Parmo.. 😀

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Just avoid the Bongo Club. (Yes, it’s real)

augustuswindsock

Cafe Lilly in Norton is about 10 mins away in a taxi, it’s great, outstanding food and great atmos, my personal fave. like others have posted I’d also recommend yarm as having some great options, Santoros springs to mind amongst others!

RustyMac

Just rolled in from a curry and a few beers at Akbars, oh me the naan breads, i think they serve them with their own postcodes they are that big.

will have a look online at some of the menu’s tomorrow and try and plan where we want to go to next.

Quick outsiders review of our meal for any one who is interested.
    Starters were great, mains lacked a little punch, all of us expected them a to be a little spicier than they were, portions were huge, price was very reasonable.

duckers
    Free Member

Out of interest who are you visiting?

RustyMac

Faraday center – Electrical protection tripping and switching

duckers
    Free Member

No worries, thought you may have been visiting my employer.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Chinese Restaurant on Newport Road is pretty good.Pizza Hut and Macdonalds near the Cinema.I live in the Town Centre if you need any pointers.PS,you could also check out ‘Bobbys bikes’ if your in need of a good laugh.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

If your eating before 5pm you could try ‘Grubbs’near the Bus Station.That would give you a flavour of the local culture!

sing1etrack

Pizza Hut and Macdonalds

Look, I know Middlesbrough isn’t the most sophisticated town in the world, but there’s better than Pizza Hut and Maccy D’s!

If you fancy curry again then Jamals is better than Akbars IMO – close to the Thistle too.

I haven’t been but have heard good things about this place – Hudson Quay.

muddodger
    Free Member

Having been to both Akbars and the Deli Lounge I can say I won’t be going back to Akbars.
    Rice wasn’t nice and the curry is reportedly reheated from being made at their kitchen elsewhere, Deli lounge though is excellent and regularly go with work.
    Deli lounge is 2 mins further down the road.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Singletrack,read the thread,he asked for a Burger joint.

RustyMac

Easy now lads, I’ll admit i had hoped for more than Maccy D’s and Pizza Hut as suggestions but no need to argue about it. Would really like to try stuff that we don’t have in Aberdeen.

Tonight it is looking likely that it will ether be Central Park, La Pharmacie or a wild card that someone on the course suggested of the Purple Pig.

Curry 2 nights in a row and i could fly myself home, Hudson Quay looks nice, maybe a little too nice for our food allowance budget.

lemonysam
    Free Member

For a burger, there’s this place:
    http://www.pixies-diner.co.uk/

Edit: Take a look at
    http://www.theprt.co.uk/index.php/reviews/restaurants

duckers
    Free Member

Hudson Quay is quite expensive, I should have mentioned that baker street in the town is worth a visit during the day, there’s a few indie shops doing coffee/cake/beer/micro breweries/etc.
    http://visitmiddlesbrough.com/venues/baker-street

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Rusty,have you enjoyed the Boro?

RustyMac

Monkeyseemonkeydo so far it has been grand, not like what I expected.

Just finished well half finished our meal n central park.

Any pubs to recommend on the walk back up Linthorpe Road?

Oh and I have tried the gourmet delight that is parmo…

stox
    Free Member

Good lad! Always better after ‘several’ pints 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

Now you are one of us.
    one of us
    one of us
    one of us

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Not much of a drinker mate.One on the corner of Linthorpe Road Southfield Road has a nice fire.Otherwise,that bit of Linthorpe Road is full of them.Maybe you could check out the new homely little pub on Baker Street.Watson.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Lol,its called Sherlocks and they do a selection of traditional Ales.White Rat anybody.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Did rusty survive what this place and the media describe as one of the worst towns in Britain?Lol.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Restaurent recommendations in Middlesbrough’ is closed to new replies.