Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Restaurant in Coventry- what’s good?
  • alwillis

In Coventry (at the arena) this week with work, and looking for somewhere for a team (4 of us) meal Tuesday evening.

Any locals recommend somewhere closeish? Don’t mind a short drive to get out of/into town. Ideally independent, reasonably priced (work are paying so can’t go crazy) and tasty!

spud-face

The standard sweet centre down in foleshill makes the best samosas you could ask for, and you can eat in, but it’s not particularly restauranty.  The Greyhound in Longford would be my choice, it’s walkable from the Ricoh along the canal and does very good food. https://www.thegreyhoundlongford.co.uk/

pk13

Shilton arms
    http://www.theroseandcastle.co.uk/ not bad food small so book.
    Nice Thai on London road also a Chinese nextdoor ish.
    If you want posh go to leam or Kenilworth.
    The cross is nice but maybe out of your works buget.
    Greyhound is ok small ish you can walk but
    +1 for the standard not sure it’s open late but for snacks it’s ace cake shop just further down too

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Thai Dusit at junc of London Road and Gulson Road and Turmeric Gold on Spon Street for Indian food.

doomanic

China Red in the centre for all you can eat Chinese with table service. Assuming it’s still there of course; I haven’t been for about 4 years.

EDIT: it’s still there and does Karaoke too…

Home

Singletrack MegaSack 2021 - Bloopers

Singletrack MegaSack 2021 - Bloopers
    Singletrack Video Archive: Singletrack MegaSack 2021 - Bloopers
    bails

Basement Browns – locally owned (there’s another branch in Leamington) pizza place.

7 bone burgers – hipster style burger place, very tasty but maybe not right for a work meal, depends on the people.

Mrs B has been to Turmeric Gold and couldn’t see what the fuss was about. My Dhabba (also Indian) on the same street is meant to be good though.

Sultan on Far Gosford street for cheap but tasty Turkish.

Esmies in Fargo village – independent Caribbean. Might be closed on Tuesdays though.

The Golden Cross by the cathedral. Decent pub food.

Metropolis, also near the cathedral. Veggie, vegan and carnivore versions of everything on the menu. In an interesting building as well. That would probably be my suggestion actually. It’s grown up enough for a work meal but a nice place to stay if you decide your want some drinks afterwards.

robbo1234biking

Not contributing to food but the Golden Cross when I was at uni (18 years ago) was a late night rock pub!

MoreCashThanDash

This is useful, Jnr is performing in Coventry in a few weeks and we were wondering where to eat

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Noodle bar in the bull yard in the city centre. A bit no thrills but food is excellent if Chinese / noodles is your thing.

onecheshirecat

Binley Mega Chippy?

pk13

NO FOR THE CHIPPY

bails

@robbo1234biking same when I was there, you were only a few years ahead of me! But it’s much mellower now.

Noodle bar is good for big portions of (apparently) fairly authentic Chinese food.

Not the mega chippy though!

lucien

Last time I was in Coventry for a meal, it was late, about 20 years ago, I was pissed and they made me and a mate pay up front for food.  It was an Indian……don’t remember much else.

alwillis

Booked the greyhound after putting it to a vote this morning. Will report back if I survive!

lb77

Greyhound is a decent pub, it’s my folks local boozer.

BigJohn

When I saw this thread I immediately thought of the Standard Sweet Centre but didn’t think of posting because I haven’t been to Coventry since 1995. This post makes me want to go back again.

pk13

Greyhound is fine.

alwillis

Just to update for future reference. The Greyhound was indeed a good traditional pub, with decent food and well priced drinks. Definitely a nice escape from chains and soulless expo halls and hotels.

My team were also well impressed at my “local knowledge” to find such a place, so thanks STW!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.