Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Respray or Powdercoat?
  • rob731
    Free Member

Want to personalise my hardtail. Please could anyone explain the advantages/disadvantages of respray vs powdercoat, and possibly recommend a good one of either in the Notts/Derby area. Thanks

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Good sprayer is Vernon Barker in Dronfield (just outside Chesterfield) – about £100

Anthony
    Free Member

Powdercoat can be heavy, my Genesis gained nearly 5oz over it’s original wet paint.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

If its aluminium, how about anodising?

captain_spaulding
    Free Member

Powdercoat can be heavy, my Genesis gained nearly 5oz over it’s original wet paint.

And thats like carrying a small apple in your pocket.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Anthony – Member

PSML… 😀 😯 😐

You are joking??

Right?

greasystain
    Free Member

Anodising . . . where can you get that done? Is it expensive?

pauldowker
    Free Member

You could try Mercian Cycles in Derby. They are really helpful on the phone and i’ll be going there for a respray in the winter.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Apparently a decently done paint job can put 200g on a frame. which is what? 5-6 oz?

Northwind

Powdercoat’s phenomenally tough… But once it’s damaged, water tends to get under it and cause it to lift, which is pretty ugly. Still, it’d be my choice for a bike frame, Triple S are the coaters I usually use and they’re absolutely brilliant.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I’ve just had another frame done by my local guys (Yeovil, Somerset). They powder coat curtis bike frames for them and Talon who do MX stuff apparently get all their stuff powder coated there now as the MX boys were finding after a few jet washes the anodising was coming off – WTF!! He shot blasted and painted the frame for £35 which is crazy cheap so shop around as some places can be cheap!

When I was in there, someone had taken in their MTB wheels, taken out the hub internals and the guys had powder coated the whole wheels white, looked cool if white is your thing!

bruneep

They are really helpful on the phone and i’ll be going there for a respray in the winter.

Remember to “hold the apple proper now” 😉

AdamM
    Free Member

OK, that photo’s all wrong, you’re not supposed to get tan lines from a spray-tan… 😉

Oh, and back on topic, powdercoat is typically harder wearing, but if you are a serial resprayer it’s also more difficult to remove so you may be better off with paint.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Powdercoat can be heavy, my Genesis gained nearly 5oz over it’s original wet paint

Not if it is a red powdercoat though, obviously. Painting your bike red will actually make it lighter – and faster

oldgit
    Free Member

My last powdercoat was I think £50 for the etch coat, colour coat and top laquer.
    I’ve just found someone I think will do ‘what you want’ in a respray. Tempted but I’ve nothing to spray.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Respray or Powdercoat?’ is closed to new replies.