• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Phil_H.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Respray bike before sale?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Not a stealth add, definitely not at all.

I’m going to sell my 2007 Patriot and whilst it hasn’t had much use at all over the years it was white, and is now pretty grubby with some bad cable rub. Hopefully someone with a lust for the retro will take it off my hands, but I’m wondering if it’s worth chucking on a few cans of spray.bike on it first? I’m fairly confident with it having done one frame already. The bike probably has more nostalgic appeal than to be actually ridden so I think it might be worth it

kelvin

Absolutely not. That stuff is great for making a bike your own. Buying second hand, I’d assume it was covering up worse than cable rub, and pass.

ogden
    Free Member

100% put me off buying it if I was after one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok. It’s very clearly not been thrashed given the state of all the original kit on it.

walleater

It’s a Hard No from me. I’d just think it’s been done to hide cracks, or I’d think it was stolen.

dhrider
    Free Member

Agree with above, would make me think your hiding something.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

No way. I’d be very surprised if you would make the money back on all the paint, plus the time.
    If someone really likes the frame they will get it resprayed themselves.

cynic-al
    Free Member

T cut

mashr

Unless it was resprayed by the manufacturer I’d be avoiding with a barge pole. Don’t think Orange still do it, but even if they did it would mean spending hundreds that you wouldn’t see back, so a pointless exercise

trail_rat
    Free Member

A real respray possibly in the right circumstances given the age of it.

Bike.spray not a chance. That would remove value not add it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Alright thanks folks.

fatbrad
    Free Member

Not a stealth reply to your non stealth ad. But what size and how much? I’m not far from you and work in Cardiff anyway.

tall_martin

I’ve got 50p and a mars bar.

Not a stealth offer 🙂

I’ve realised I’ve bought two bikes painted in hammerite black. In hindsight they were probably stolen. It’s taken me a while to realise this!

You would probably get your money back on a tin of hammerite. I wouldn’t be buying a repainted old bike. I’d assume it was cracked.

Phil_H

This.

I wouldn’t be buying a repainted old bike. I’d assume it was cracked.

Orange will repaint it but I’d leave that up to the new owner.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.