• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rs.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Response to local planning application for new housing
  • poolman
    Free Member

I have been asked to respond to a local planning application, 300 new flats in a 14 story building about 100m from a flat i own. Mine is unaffected as i deliberately bought a south facing, upper level with good open outlook

So i am neutral, actually support any new housing and it has to be built somewhere. But some parts of the developement i m on will be seriously blighted, lack of light, traffic, noise etc.

What would you do?

A. Nothing, probably seen as supportive
    B. Respond in support
    C. Respond supporting developement but on a smaller scale

Or am i kidding myself that local opposition to planning actually achieves something

Richie_B

Objections to planning applications have a big effect as long as they make reasoned and justifiable points in planning terms (lack of adequate infrastructure to support the development (roads, schools etc), genuine right to light issues (which are fairly tightly defined) the list goes on.

What doesn’t work is a generalised nimby complaint that doesn’t make specific points or a general assertion that the design is grim (unless the planning officers agree with you).

A valid objection will at least insure that the application is dealt with by the full planning committee, although a development of the size your talking about isn’t going to be passed as a delegated issue.

If you feel strongly about the proposal either way write, just don’t use green ink

poolman
    Free Member

Ok thanks, the community directors have drafted a response letter citing exactly those points, traffic, pollution, right to light etc.

My actual flat is not affected though, sadly one side of the block is, but not the remaining 75% of the flats.

I m undecided whether to agree to the objection letter. New houses have to go somewhere, this is sw london so a massive housing shortage.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What Richie_B said.

You can write in to highlight points that have to be considered, you can’t just NIMBY it.

I’ve done it twice now (applications to turn a local shop into a takeaway), it’s quite straightforward if you want to write a good letter just keep emotions out out it and stick to pointing out how the proposed development is contrary to the planning department’s guidance. Basicly all you can do is do their job for them.

poolman
    Free Member

Thanks again, will my letter be available for neighbours to see? My parents once objected to a local plan and the chap submitting it saw the complaint letter…havent spoken for 10 years….

sharkbait
    Free Member

In my [fairly limited] experience…

Or am i kidding myself that local opposition to planning actually achieves something

I would imagine that objections on the grounds of traffic and pollution will cut no mustard in SW London.

Richie_B

will my letter be available for neighbours to see

Yes, among other reasons relating to accountability, unfortunately its not unknown for people to send letters in other peoples names so it has to be open to give people a chance to refute these letters.

nickjb
    Free Member

will my letter be available for neighbours to see?

Its all online now. Anyone can search the council planning site and read all related documents including objections.

rs
    Free Member

Presumably your building added traffic and blocked someones light. I saw a letter citing similar things in a local newspaper which i’m sure is from one of my neighbours in our 2 year old condo building adjacent to single family homes and which replaced single family homes, complaining about the construction site next door and the eventual new condo building their unit faces. Oh the hypocrisy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Response to local planning application for new housing’ is closed to new replies.