• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Resin for carbon wheel repair?
  • bob_summers

Nothing severe – pulled a well-glued tubular off and it took the top layer of resin with it, leaving the carbon fibres exposed in one or two places. Can I just paint over it with something, and if so, what? Don’t want to make it even worse the next time I remove a tub.
    Corima rim, if that matters.

aracer
    Free Member

West Systems epoxy

bob_summers

like the 105 repair kit here?
    edit – the last one

aracer
    Free Member

Well you’ll just need the resin from what you’re saying – you can get a mini kit with a small amount of that which will probably be cheaper

bob_summers

I don’t need any filler, but for a couple of two-inch repairs I don’t really want to buy a litre of resin

fanatic278
    Free Member

I use Araldite for small repairs on windsurf boards. It’s quite gloopy though, so you will need to lay it on thin and do a bit of sanding.

aracer
    Free Member

Get whatever’s cheapest to get the resin then.

Normal epoxy will work a lot better than araldite for this.

richmars

The West stuff is nice and thin, but you can thin araldite with a bit of heat, but watch it doesn’t cure too quick.

bigdean

I bet you could get away with 5min epoxy from B&Q.

tillydog
    Free Member

If you do go with the West stuff (it’s good), the resin is very thin, which is good for soaking into exposed fibres, but you might want to get some colloidal silica to mix with it to thicken it up a little for the final layer if you need to build it up at all. They (West) used to do sachets of 105 resin/hardener that would be perfect for what you want, but I can’t seem to find them for sale anywhere at the moment.

I would give the area a good scrub with soapy water and dry thoroughly before doing the repair – repeat if you need to add a second layer of epoxy.

bob_summers

Shouldn’t need building up tillydog, basically I just want to avoid it getting worse next time I change a tub.
    Never had this problem until a riding mate convinced me to try Tufo tape btw… back to glue it is.

OK ta, I’ll order a repair kit.

BigJohn

There’s epoxy resin and there’s polyester resin. I know you shouldn’t use polyester on windsurf boards as it can dissolve the foam core. I don’t know if you have to use a compatible sort.

Dr ding might be your answer. Quick drying repair paste.

transition1
    Free Member

West is good used to use with glass fibre when repairing my windsurf boards. Final coat would use Gel coat which you could use on the rim

jonba
    Free Member

Araldite is normal epoxy. Most of these 2k glues are pretty simply bis A epoxies and polyamide curing agents. Araldite is and so is the West stuff looking at the MSDS.

Epoxy will work with polyester as it is normally solvent free. I don’t think you can easily get solvent free polyester resins without using loads of styrene. Styrene is bad mmmkay.

ANyway stick any old 2k epoxy glue on it. Just makes sure the area you are repairing is spotless clean and dry. A bit of light abrasion will give it a key to help adhesion.

Personally I’d use blue araldite.

dovebiker

Black epoxy repair filler I’ve used this to successfully repair carbon rims a few times and it polishes nice and smooth to be almost indistinguishable.

andyl
    Free Member

I’d go with an adhesive type epoxy for this as you want a good bond to existing material. Blue araldite is nothing exotic but pretty decent. A hair drier set quite a bit away to warm it gently will help the cure, don’t leave it unattended though in case it causes a fire ( hair drier not the epoxy)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Resin for carbon wheel repair?’ is closed to new replies.