• This topic has 330 replies, 123 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by yunki.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 331 total)
  • Residents who think they own the road they live on,parking issues
  • project
    Free Member

are they suddenly becoming a majority or where they always there under the kerb.

Had bread thrown over car, for birds to peck at, had eggs thrown at windscreen, had angry men and women telling me its their space, theyre going to call the police, etc,had idiots parking with 6 inches of rear door, or knocking at the house im working at, to say theyre having an invisible item of furniture delivered that never arrives, or best of all, being told to move my car, when i didnt even have one on the street that day, as i cycled to the job.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I do love the parks within 6 inches clowns

I adopt paris parking rules in those cases. Generally i am not gonna come off too bad i have black bumpers. Often they are made of steel,

I was on the opposite side though . Had a lad in a golf park up between my drive and the road end. Told him not to park there got told . I pay my taxes ill, park where ever i want.

Farmer then dragged his trailer down it turning into the street.

I got the blame despite the only car on my property being a rolling chassis. – and it had been the whole day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The world has always been full of nobbers who think they own the space outside their house
    More cars/fewer spaces may be making this worse.

garage-dweller

My good lady wife got a load of foul mouthed abuse from someone who told her she wasnt allowed to park outside her house to go to Tesco Express when it’s car park was full.

Wrong woman to pick on. She firmly pointed out the absence of parking restrictions and made sure she wasted a few extra minutes in there.

I’ve noticed an isolated few places where residents have put “no parking in road outside this house” signs on houses. Bonkers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I got my car keyed once actually outside a friends house in pitlochry, there was a no parking sign in the hedge.

I saw the curtains twitch when i got back…..

Tbh you would think that all the panels on the car having a dent or a big scratch in would show how much i care…..,,

Irs just a car.

maccruiskeen

had angry men and women telling me its their space, theyre going to call the police, etc,

tell them to call the police.

project
    Free Member

sheltered accomodation complex, eg granny flats, old biddie and her mates shouted like a choir from the windows, we dont allow vans to park on our car park, to which i responded get someone else to fix your neighbours broken door then, their neighbour want happy to have no joiner to fix her door.

GrahamS

I had an angry note left on my car saying that they knew I wasn’t a local resident and if I parked there again they would call the police.

Some people are just bellends. WTF do they actually think the police will do?

“Hello officer, I’d like to report a car parked legally on the road outside my house.”

It’s hard enough to find a spare polis to investigate actual crimes without making new ones up!

jam-bo

My dad does actually own the road outside his house (non-adopted,private road, more pothole than road)

I still get snotty notes from one of his neighbours when I go to visit and park outside his house.

johndoh
    Free Member

I got my car keyed once actually outside a friends house…

Me too last year. Since then her daughter has also dented the same panels and my daughter dragged her bike handlebars down it. I’m gonna be hammered when I hand it back to the lease company..,

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’ve got residents parking scheme as of this week, but I live slap bang in the middle of town, and expected issues when we bought the house. Worst thing is the folk that leave their car for a week whilst they go and get bladdered in Spain for a week.

I try not to let it bother me, as it could easily spiral, and I could see myself getting too involved, life’s too short.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

People who park their car right over the kerb, so much so I and others have to walk along the middle of the road because the pavement is blocked, do my nut in!

Think of the pensioners and the parents with kids (possibly in pram, maybe on kids bike)!!

Haze

Still not sure this wasn’t my mate taking the piss when I picked the car up next day…

Better than driving home with a skinful.

cbike
    Free Member

I get hassle when I visit the gf especially if I’m in a van.

There are 12 end on spaces outside and as it’s cooncil there are no assigned spaces. Two of the flats own 1 car each and even those who don’t own a car complain. It is always empty.

Last time I was there in a long Luton and parked across three spaces to ensure access was clear. They went mental kicking the front door and shouting. We had to call police. Together we parked “properly” and access was greatly restricted. Bullying ****.

jekkyl

Morons over the road from us have 3 cars, room for all 3 on their drive side by side yet leave them parked outside other people’s houses and also leave the road directly outside of their house free of any car. Entitled much, inconsiderate arseholes. They seem to be growing in number. & don’t even get me started on the lazy bastards that can’t be arsed to park a few hundred metres from the school and walk in but then park on the pavements in the tiny school carpark so that people with pushchairs (me!) have to walk in the road to get to the gate avaoiding other lazy bastards trying to park and are late!

stevied
    Free Member

possibly in pram

I may have, accidentally, bumped a wing mirror or 2 trying to get past them when pushing the pram..

jimbobo
    Free Member

I used to live in a shared house with street parking. I cam home and there was no parking available on our street. none on the next street and none on the next street. Given that I was getting in at 8pm and going out again at 6am i parked in the back alley. Came back to a postcard inviting me to a meet and greet with a prominent tory politician of the time. I was a bit bemused, chucked it in the door pocket and carried on my merry way. A month later when i cleaned the car out I found it was an angry “don’t park here” note. People are odd.

zippykona

I’ve put little wood posts up to stop people parking on the grass verge. They get properly chewed up and look horrible.
    Park on the road outside my house if you like but not on the verge.
    Am I a bad person?

oldnpastit

Am I a bad person?

Maybe, but you’ll need to do better than that.

Speshpaul

“Am I a bad person?” Yes but not because of your wood.

wilburt
    Free Member

I park outside my own house to stop others parking there, it also slows down would be speeders and keep space on the drive free for visitors.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I park outside my own house to stop others parking there, it also slows down would be speeders and keep space on the drive free for visitors.

Christ.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

On

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bike

yunki
    Free Member

we have parking issues on our street 🙁

I’m one of the fortunate residents who owns a garage up the private lane next to our flats

I’m still bewildered by the neighbour who occasionally leaves a note on my windscreen telling me that I can’t park outside my own garage because there’s a ‘no parking’ sign on the garage door

I know!! I put the bloody sign there 🙂

I have another neighbour who’s got a death wish though……
    He’s a frail old bugger with a large double driveway and a double garage but he’s quite nonchalantly abandoned an old suzuki jeep up the lane and parks his other 4×4 there on a daily basis leaving his driveway and garages empty..

On the plus side they do put all their unwanted gear out on the street corner with a sign saying ‘free to a good home’ instead of taking it to the charity shop… I picked up quite a nice antique chinese rug the other day as a result of their community spirit 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ wilburt Why stop others using something that you dont use?

WHy not just park there when you have visitors?

bencooper
    Free Member

If you really want to wind up entitled car owners, try parking a cargo bike in a parking space. It’s hilarious. I’ve had people actually try to nudge me out of the way with their bumper.

mtbfix

Our road is blessed with a parking note writer. There are enough spaces, just, on most of the drives for folk’s cars. However a couple of blokes on the street have trades vans too. These have gotten somebody’s goat and a tit for tat passive aggressive note war is now underway.

I rather think life is too short for that nonsense but then we have 1 car fewer than we have spaces on our drive.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

All the ‘old’ houses on our street have driveways and room to park more cars than you could ever want, you could go get 9 on ours without touching the grass if you tried. The new builds have less or none.

Which is fine except when someone in the gated road next door has visitors staying, usually arriving in a great big Volvo 4×4 that blocks out the light of the sun and parks between our driveway and the gated road (they presumably don’t get enough remote keys) also blocking the view of anyone trying to get out of the road or our driveway.

You bought the sodding 600k house without a driveway, stop foisting your lack of foresight on me!

Not sure which is more annoying, the ones that do it blocking the pavement, or the ones that block the road.

Then there’s match day, we must be 2 miles at least, nearer 3 from the stadium, yet people will fill our road to avoid paying 50p for the park and ride half a mile away!

wilburt
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have option because someone else would be parked there.

I could remove some hedgerow and drop a section of curb giving extra space on my property and lose the street parking for anyone but that would cost both money and be the loss of a nice hedge without any real gain to me and loss to the public.
    So my method works and has the added advantage of slowing traffic which isn’t actually much the occasional delivery driver or stressed parent on a school run perhaps but definitely slowed.

There is ample free parking within 100 metres and not outside anyone’s house.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used to live on a terrace in the grim industial parts, had a van and car most of the time, whoever was last back had to hark around the corner or even at the back of the CoOp, not an issue. Later there was just me and the neighbours opposite now had 2 cars. They seemed to never leave the house at all, the only entry to the house was the front door through a gap in the wall. Had to ask loads of times for them to move so I could get things like a washing machine in. Their response – there was nowhere else to park – so pointed out all the places I used which were more than 50m from their door. Final straw one morning was bin day, they had parked within 6″ of the entrance hard enough to get me and my work bag out so I snapped and wrote the note of threats!!

Basically next time I can’t get my bin put out because of your crap parking I’ll not be so carful lifting it over your car.

milky1980
    Free Member

My parents live down a dead-end lane with a 180 degree turn at the bottom of a hill where you can park a small car without problem, the locals have done for years happily sharing it. A new family moved in from London to the house on the street with no parking whatsoever as it used to belong to an old guy who never drove so he had made his drive into a lovely rose garden. This new family have three big cars so rather than converting the drive back into use they have claimed the corner spot for their shiny ML, despite having to regularly move it to let the bin lorry and delivery drivers through. It’s not so shiny anymore!!
    I have had to deal with them a few times when visiting my parents and parking there, had the usual notes etc. It’s people like them that make me glad I live in a flat with a numbered parking bay.

twisty

porter_jamie

Never live anywhere without off road parking and never with shared parking. Life is too short

funkmasterp

We have a large section of pavement outside our house with double yellows of the road. It’s not the parking that annoys me. It’s more the leaving engine running, blasting out music and parking am inch from my door that gets me. The mentality of “oh doubled yellow lines. Best park on the pavement then” is also unbelievable.

I’ve been out and had words more times than I can remember. I’ve even developed a technique! Leave by back door and approach car from back, then wrap on the window and watch driver jump. Calmly explain that if they don’t turn music down / engine off / give me reasonable access to my own front door, I’ll go upstairs and drop something heavy out of the window directly above their vehicles.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Our road is blessed with a parking note writer. There are enough spaces, just, on most of the drives for folk’s cars. However a couple of blokes on the street have trades vans too. These have gotten somebody’s goat and a tit for tat passive aggressive note war is now underway.

I’m surprised that you hve similar problems over in the States.
    Our streets offer free parking for workers and shoppers, some of these people think that they can rant at residents when we don’t free up parking spaces for them. 🙄

houndlegs
    Free Member

Not parking but still note related. A street near me, has a bus stop outside someones house, not a fancy covered stop, just a post with bus stop on it. The person whose house it is outside has put a notice in the window telling people not to wait at the bus stop outside the house. The notice is the side of a big cardboard box and just about fills the window 😯

funkmasterp

I’m seriously considering renting out half our drive. We are down to one car, but have parking for two. Might offer it to the next person who parks an inch from my front door. Never understood note writing, scratching cars etc. If there’s a genuine issue and it’s not just people thinking they own the road, just go talk to the person.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

funkmasterp – Member

I’m seriously considering renting out half our drive. We are down to one car, but have parking for two. Might offer it to the next person who parks an inch from my front door. Never understood note writing, scratching cars etc. If there’s a genuine issue and it’s not just people thinking they own the road, just go talk to the person.

Less risk involved to leave a note, actual physical confrontation can lead down a scary path given previous media coverage of events where people have been killed. You never know how the other person will react.

Back to the topic though, this is exactly why I would never buy a house without my own parking space/drive. We waited longer to save up for a detached house with a big drive on a cul de sac nowhere near anything for anyone to have a need to park outside ours, for the very reasons stated in this thread. Hell even the places we rented before buying had that as a clear requirement. Can’t be doing with the hassle of terraced street housing and fighting to park outside your own house etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 331 total)

The topic ‘Residents who think they own the road they live on,parking issues’ is closed to new replies.