Republic of North Britain

Home Forum Chat Forum Republic of North Britain

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Republic of North Britain
  • Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

Good idea from Mark Thomas’ manifesto, the Capital moves every 5 years, making all politicians live in the most deprived area of the nation, and so incentivised to improve things for the people. So long as we’re building a new nation, lets not fall into the old traps!

Ro5ey

I like the sound of this

With Man U/city out of the Prem …. Spurs would finally get a Champions League place

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Birmingham could be a fenced off game reserve where the Yarkshire rich can go hunting from the back of machine gun equipped Toyota pick-ups.

The Stockport hat industry could be revived by making trophies that they could wear on their heads.

fr0sty125

So what would the new republic’s national anthem be?

Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrjY6Q7bRcI[/video]

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_OkJaZFd4[/video]

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

So basically, we’ve got the Northern territories (Great Britain), the Southern (Little Britain) and Brum as the Neutral Zone. I like it.

Hey, we could wall it off and use it as a prison state?

I’m shocked that someone wanted to exclude Lancashire. Holland’s Pies, man. (And Clayton Park, who are superior but less well known).

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Oi!, who said we could lose Lancashire? Lancashire stays,

No Lancashire and Yorkshire are included

South Yorks could maybe be lost if the line goes from the Mersey to th’umber.

Where is Sheffield, that could be t’frontier

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Indeed cougar – You can’t exclude the county that gave the world Warburtons toastie loaf. Simply the best 2 slices of bread you can put a Hollands pie between

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Simply the best 2 slices of bread you can put a Hollands pie between

Technically correct, but by the same argument we need to keep Manchester for GH Sheldon’s Lancashire Oven Bottom Muffins. As any Wiganner will tell you, pies are best served in a bottom muffin baked in a Lancashire oven.

yunki

Sounds good to me..

Can we just get a big saw and cut off the SW peninsula while we’re at it so that we can finally be free from the lot of you..

this chart explains a few things too

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Can we just get a big saw and cut off the SW peninsula while we’re at it so that we can finally be free from the lot of you..

That’s a cracking idea, then we’ve got foreign holidays sorted.

Subscriber

Negotiate your own escape from Prime Minister Gove, this is our cunning plan…

hora

Erm before we get to this erm ‘State’, we have to discuss the sticky wicket of being/becoming freedom fighters…

bajsyckel

Well if we’re posting maps, I’d say all you southtrons are getting a little prematurely excited. Red= Northern Britain, yellow = South. (I also do logos and branding, thanks to MS paint). I feel a bit sorry for Wales, the SW and the midlands, but you can’t be too careful and this way keeps some acceptable neighbours as a buffer. As for the anthem? I’d take something from ‘Songs from Northern Britain’…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWFurzi5gpQ[/video]

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

This North/South divide is an entirely English thing.

In Wales we have our own entirely different North/South divide. As they do in Scotland I think.. and Ireland.. hmm.. and France, and Italy.. and Germany…

No fighting necessary, Hora. We’ll put it to the vote and win comfortably. I will be magnanimous in victory. No executions (well, not many). I tell you, this has legs ….

Junkyard

Bit harsh making the Isle of Mann Irish

could you do it by area – ie half above and half below by area?

wrecker

Happy with that! Gives us pasties, cider, loads of beaches, dartmoor, exmoor, mendips, FOD. So good riding, drink, food and the tankys, most of the navy and marines to defend it!

Subscriber

bajsyckel, you’ve missed the main thrust of the argument, Humber to Mersey gets you Leeds and Manchester (think taxes, nice populations densities), and a major sporting event in 2014…

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

By not posting a picture of Geoff Boycott with his bat raised as the 100th post you are banished.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Have you got a flag?

The flag (and the capital) will be major sticking points, I fear. I would be willing to go for Edinburgh to appease our ex-Scottish friends, but the flag? Red and blue stripes? A tartan rose?

Subscriber

I white cross of St. andrew behind the rose? reduce the rose in size so it doesn’t dominate.

Happy compromise. Capital moves about as per my previous post.

Next insummountable problem please…

Ecky-Thump

an as’t gonna be th’ed ot th’armed forces.

bajsyckel

Bit harsh making the Isle of Mann Irish

Yeah, my colouring in skills are about that level. The IOM can do their own thing, much as they seem to already (apologies to Shetlanders and Channel Islanders too).

bajsyckel, you’ve missed the main thrust of the argument, Humber to Mersey gets you Leeds and Manchester (think taxes, nice populations densities), and a major sporting event in 2014…

Nah, I’ve been giving this a lot of thought. This way Teeside becomes the new frontier. Think of it as smoggy Tijuana – a quick skip over the border for exotic petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals and chicken parmo. And putting the border here means Lancashire and Yorkshire don’t look so desperate in their claims of northernness – we’re doing you a favour. And Humber to Mersey “gets you”, as you say, Leeds (and Harrogate, a bit of Cheshire, Hull, Blackpool (and loses you most of the Peak, Sheffield)). No thanks.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Flag is easy. Tudor rose on top of the St Andrew’s Cross.

Subscriber

I was deliberately not mentioning Blackpool and Hull and hoping no-one would notice…

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I think we need a bit of blue-sky thinking here. Or grey sky thinking, as it’ll be taking place in Manchester

We can reject the traditional flag, with its outdated imperialist conortations. Let us throw off the shackles of convention, and adopt an item rich in symbolism, that perfectly espouses the very essence of just what it means to be northern….

Look, Lancs and Yorks are the mainstay of this country. No more ridiculousness, please. I’m liking the flag idea. Just remember that we are a secular republic, though, references to crosses and symbols of monarchy may be a bit decisive.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

If you’re fastened to a St Andrew’s cross, you’re in for a wholly different experience to the one you’d have on a crucifix. It absolutely stays.

gordimhor

We need a minister of food to decide what goes in a pie?
    For me it’s got to be mutton …the pie that is not the minister

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

We’re all having good fun here, but I wonder if the prospect of the North wanting to join in with an independent Scotland is the reason that the UK govt is running scared.

The propaganda they are pumping out about the consequences of independence are farcically untrue, and very similar to war time propaganda, eg trying to demonise Salmond etc.

How about a federation? So each component can be as independent as possible – eg the Federated Republic of Greater Britain. The capital to be Faslane as it is well defended. 🙂

We could all have our own flags then.

gordimhor

Actually I fear for the future of the secular Republic of North Britain due to a long sequence of food related civil wars

oliverd1981

As a Northerner I’m all for this, however we could just wait until London disppears up it’s own aft with a loud pop and takes the monarchy with it.

As an anthem I’m proposing the Coronation Street theme played on bagpipes.

Please can we repatriate Lauren Laverne as culture secretary?

The Sage in Gateshaead would make a good parliament – nice and central – good rail links. MP’s can get as many second houses as they want, probably for free.

A long sequence of food related civil wars

– we will be fine as long as every town has at least one type of baked good named after it.

Also the Northumbeland flag could be adapted into a QR link to a page that just say’s “fark you London” we could all get behind that.

Could southerners be charged twice as much to enter northern universities and to ride northern bike trails?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

oliverd1981 wrote:

As an anthem I’m proposing the Coronation Street theme played on bagpipes.

Wrong key.

Emmerdale might work 🙂

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

No no.

The theme to One Man and his Dog.

crikey

Although late to the party and hence not being arsed to read all that shit, I’d like to propose a theme for the state opening of t’Parliament, thusly:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Republic of North Britain’ is closed to new replies.