Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • Republic of North Britain
  • failedengineer

Some thing someone said on here the other day has got me thinking: A ‘Republic of North Britain’ could work! Scotland, Cumbria, Northumberland, Lancs and Yorks (old borders, of course). All those great cities – Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow & Edinburgh to name a few. Natural resources – North sea oil and gas, shale gas, water aplenty. Industrial centres. We could ask Northern Ireland if they’d like to join too, but I suspect that they would politely decline. What do you think?!

bencooper
    Free Member

You’re taking my “People’s Empire of the North, Ireland and Scotland” idea seriously? 😉

Harry_the_Spider

We could celebrate the birth of the new Southern monarch by collectively not giving a ####.

binners

Its a fine idea, but practically we’d all have a massive falling out with each other about where the capital was going to be. They’d reject Liverpool, Manchester, and Leeds, and Sheffield, Edinburgh and Glasgow so as not to upset anyone, and it’d end up being on an industrial estate by a series of roundabouts in Warrrington, between Ikea and M&S

And, as everyone knows, that is the very worst place in the entire world

LHS
    Free Member

I don’t think Scotland would want to be dragged down by the North of England, it would be economic suicide.

failedengineer

I wonder what accent we could all adopt? I favour a George Formby-esque one, But I am a Lancastrian. “Ey up, turned out nice again!”

Harry_the_Spider

Capital = Manchester
    Parliament = The Velodrome

The Etihad could be flattened and turned into a tank park.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

York or Edinburgh, both have historical claims.

I’d be in, sick of hearing Scots complain about Westminster ignoring them. Westminster ignores everything north of Watford Gap.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I don’t think Scotland would want to be dragged down by the North of England, it would be economic suicide.

Plenty of money in North Yorkshire. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hmm why would the north want to join in with Scotland?

LHS
    Free Member

It would become a nation where 99% of the population works in call centres and every sports team is sponsored by Asda or Morrisons.

cranberry
    Free Member

Plenty of money in North Yorkshire.

Aye, and it is staying there. Independence for Yorkshire!

binners

Could we move Cheshire a couple of hundred miles south, as part of the deal? Its there in Spirit anyway

The parliament would be sponsored by Sports Direct and Greggs

Harry_the_Spider

Could we move Cheshire a couple of hundred miles south, as part of the deal? Its there in Spirit anyway

Cleared and replaced with a mine field.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I think you’ll find this was my idea of swearing an oath to High Chancellor and Supreme Overlord Salmond of SnatPartier, and joining the kingdom of Greater Scotlandshire!

But we can bicker about the name later. Hell yeah I’m in!

Basically we would draw a line from the Humber to the Mersey (or dig a big channel to join them up, but that sounds like a lot of effort tbh).

I’d feel a bit bad leaving Wales stuck with the resulting land of DaanSouf though…

Aye, and it is staying there. Independence for Yorkshire!

No no no, think of the paper work! Can you be arsed with that, I can’t, this way the Scots do all the admin…

LHS
    Free Member

Basically we would draw a line from the humber to the Mersey

No dice, you have to take Stoke-on-Trent in the deal.

Harry_the_Spider

Turn it into a giant fee ball pool.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I see Stoke as becoming the new Berwick, only this time we both claim it belongs to the other… You could always keep your nuclear penis substitutes there, it would have newly formed coastal access with prime opporunities for developement.

GrahamS

hmm why would the north want to join in with Scotland?

Well my experience of living in Northumberland is that the folk here have a lot more in common with the Scots than they do with southerners.

I’d be all for it by the way (though slightly less keen on the republic bit).

York or Edinburgh, both have historical claims.

Well yeah, but then so does Dunfermline.

LHS
    Free Member

Faslane will stay English and it will grow into a land such as Monaco, a population of a few 1000 but where 40,000 odd commute to work every day!

CountZero

I’d feel a bit bad leaving Wales stuck with the resulting land of DaanSouf though…

We’re thinking about building a wall from the Severn up to North Wales and giving the Welsh passports if they want to travel past it. We can reinstate the castles along the Border Marches and have armed garrisons there, in case the Welsh get bolshey. 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Well yeah, but then so does Dunfermline.

Add it to the list!

speckledbob
    Free Member

Hang on that would effectively make Yorkshire the South. Im not being a southerner.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well my experience of living in Northumberland is that the folk here have a lot more in common with the Scots than they do with southerners.

I’d be all for it by the way (though slightly less keen on the republic bit).
    Thats only because a few too many came south…

allthepies
    Free Member

National costume of garish, shiny tracksuits.

gwaelod
    Free Member

steady on..there’d be no salt for the chips

FFS

bigrich

a great big wall, from Bristol to the Wash.

ThePinkster

does that mean that Crewe just about scrapes in?

failedengineer

How about Carlisle for the capital? It could do with a few quid spending on it. This won’t be popular, but let’s adopt the Euro, lose the Monarchy and do away an established religion. Next, we’ll nationalise the banks, the railways and the power producers and bring back Grammar Schools. All that lot’s going into my first presidential manifesto.

tomhoward

nuclear penis substitutes

😯 Ann Summers has really moved on eh?

I’m all for the independant nation of Yorkshire though.

Capital – York, obvs, with parliament being in the Minster.
    Financial centre – Harrogate, as thats where all the money is already.
    Primary export – Flat caps, Whippets, rhubarb and Yorkshire tea.
    Hale and Pace have already been hard at work promoting our national airline (youtube search Yorkshire airways)
    We’d be a great sporting nation, as the olympics showed. Plus we’ve got t’tour coming next year.
    We’d already have a national dish in Yorkshire pudding.
    Religion? Yep, got that. Everyone knows that Yorkshire is God’s country.

Frankly I’m struggling to spot a downside.

Vive t’revolution!

thepurist

We’d gladly trade you Basingstoke in exchange for Faslane. And if you have Birmingham we could make the M6 tolls into a border post.

binners

No need for political manifesto’s. Ricky Tomlinson has already been appointed PM. Deputy PM: Johnny Vegas

SnS
    Free Member

We’d need a flag of some kind.

Something like a pie munching sheep dressed in tartan.

MSP

bring back Grammar Schools

He’s a southerner trying to derail the plan before it even gets started, BURN HIM!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hora for minister for cultural affairs.

tomhoward

Binners for minister of pastry.

nickc

As a southerner, I’d vote for it.

jam-bo

As a southerner, I’d vote for it.

as a southwesterner i’d vote for the line to be drawn along the M4.

wrecker
    Free Member

a great big wall, from Bristol to the Wash.

Who is going to be the boss?
    If it’s Salmond, you can move that western border north to to Cheltenham.
    You can take our land but you’ll never take our CIIIIDEEEERRRRRR.

as a southwesterner i’d vote for the line to be drawn along the M4.

Are you from south Bristol? Want to divorce yourself from us south Gloucestershirians already? 🙁

RustySpanner

We’re annexing North Wales too.
    Just down to Coed Y Brennin.

And Marc E Smith for the Cultural Affairs job.

National Anthem?
    Hmmmmm.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Republic of North Britain’ is closed to new replies.