Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Reporting a quarantine breaker?
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

Couple of local mountain bikers are being dicks (won’t go into details as they may be members on here but suffice to say it’s worse than just going out for a bike ride with one another when they shouldn’t). Is there a method to report this in Scotland? I can find online tools and a hotline number for some of the police forces in England but not for Police Scotland. Is it just a case of calling 101?

pigyn
    Free Member

Can’t help with your actual question sorry but the gossip monkey in me really wants to know what they are up to

survivor

Perhaps you could paint the star of David on their front doors. The local Gestapo will be round in no time and you’ll be rewarded for your service to Reich….

twistedpencil

Omar calling the po po? Man you’ve gone soft since leaving Bodymore…

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s 101 in Scotland too.

If you decide to phone, make sure you go the toilet first.

grim168
    Free Member

Omar’s coming

Del

Hobnob anyone?

sirromj

the gossip monkey in me really wants to know what they are up to

+1
    Oh no wait, I couldn’t care less.
    edit: shit, yes, I do want to know damn you.
    edit: arggh

sharkattack

DezB
    Free Member

won’t go into details as they may be members on here but suffice to say it’s worse than just going out for a bike ride

Are they making love, post-ride?

Poopscoop

Laying parallel cables across footpaths?

forked
    Free Member

suffice to say it’s worse than just going out for a bike ride with one another when they shouldn’t

It must probably be different in Scotland, but in England that’s been legal for over fifty years.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

In these times, what could possibly be worse than going out on your bike?

Moses

Are they spitting on every gatepost they see? Are they frotting each rambler they meet?
    If not, wind yer neck in.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Are they wearing full Lycra on an MTB with white socks and shoes ?

Drac

They’re riding E bikes aren’t they?

DezB
    Free Member

@funkydunc – come on, there’s no need to go that far! 😳

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Assume they should be self isolating due to someone in their house having symptoms? Dicks indeed if so.

Check your freezer for sausages. More fun than 101.

oldnpastit

Is there any actual evidence of people catching Coronavirus while cycling outside?

I think it must be incredibly unlikely, compared to (say) sitting in a meeting room or a crowded restaurant.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

It is 101 in Scotland but they are very busy so you may have to wait a bit. Don’t be tempted to phone 999 to skip the queue as some people are doing.

Del

Forked – bravo.

poly
    Free Member

Police Scotland are fairly busy dealing with dispersing house parties and increase domestic abuse cases (both of which could directly lead to serious harm) so think carefully before asking them to devote time to some mountainbikers. In particular ensure that what you are alleging is actually illegal not just discouraged; because police Scotland have been clear they won’t be enforcing anything other than the legislation unlike some of their English and Welsh counterparts.

Unless they’ve been running a secret uplift service or are hosting an underground race I’m struggling to imagine what they are doing that would make me think it worth the effort reporting!

poly
    Free Member

Is there any actual evidence of people catching Coronavirus while cycling outside?

In fairness the objective is not just to stop you catching it but to stop you spreading it. If, as is suspected, it is possible for someone to be asymptomatic and be shedding the virus, cyclists are able to spread the condition to others – which is far more concerning that a couple of healthy reasonably young people getting infected because they ignored the guidance.

colp

Whoa! They’re riding gravel bikes?

funkmasterp

Or road bikes 😱

somafunk

Riding a 26” bike?

kayak23

, it is possible for someone to be asymptomatic and be shedding shredding the virus,

Ftfy

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Oh god, eBikers!

willard

Yorkshire bikers in Scotland? That must be worth reporting

Pigface
    Free Member

Somafunk you take that back

fooman

Oh god, eBikers!

You shouldn’t see any during lockdown, it’s not like they can say they are out for exercise!

maddyutah

Omar
    I was told that i was fine on a tandem if wearing a mask i will stop immediately if that is not the case.

Watty

But teacher, they’re being naughty 😫

grahamt1980

Anyone else hearing the op title in the tune of the record breakers theme song?

epicyclo

poly
    …cyclists are able to spread the condition to others…

Assuming they are maintaining a reasonable distance, it does raise the question, how?

maccruiskeen

I was told that i was fine on a tandem if wearing a mask

a big hat, glasses, false beard. Any kind of disguise really if you want to keep your dignity.

poly
    Free Member

Assuming they are maintaining a reasonable distance, it does raise the question, how?

Presumably you wrote that within the confines of some sort of Whitehall bubble – anyone who’s been in the real world for the last 5 weeks knows simply setting a 2m rule is not a magic solution.

1. 2m is an arbitrary number which seems about right, had a little bit of science behind it, and is achievable to some degree. The risk isn’t zero at 2.01m.

2. People don’t/can’t always maintain 2m – they have to pass each other on narrow paths.

3. Some people are not very good as estimating or remembering 2m rule. May not be the cyclists fault but doesn’t mean he isn’t passing on infection if he is infected (and it turns out simply breathing on others is a real mode of transmission).

4. Opening gates, pushing buttons on traffic lights, touching a fence / railing whilst waiting at traffic lights, Etc. probably possible to go for a ride without touching anything but your handlebars but plenty will not.

5. Cycling hard involves breathing hard. If 2m is a limit for normal breathing in a supermarket queue heavy breathing is likely to increase it – all the more so if you open you mouth wide to exhale. Potentially coughing, I’ve seen plenty of spitting over the years.

6. There’s obviously a tiny fraction of people who go cycling who will have some sort of accident that then needs others to come to their aid. Could be mountain rescuers at the trail side, an ambulance crew at the roadside, A&E/minor injuries staff, a dentist, an optician etc.

Let me clear, I’m not in the “Just stay home” camp but I think believing that going for a ride is zero risk to yourself and others is misplaced. It may be very low risk, it may be lower risk than going for a walk on a busy route other people follow, it may be lower risk than going to Tesco for your weekly shop but it is not zero risk.

epicyclo

poly
    Presumably you wrote that within the confines of some sort of Whitehall bubble

No. Wrote it having been out on my bike (solo), but having observed other riders in pairs keeping a decent distance.

The whataboutery about fictitious/actual idiots or remote possibilities is treating responsible adults like primary children.

Moses

OK, Omar the OP.
    What were they actually doing that upset you so much?
    Or are you too busy curtain-twitching to let us know?

Trimix
    Free Member

Perhaps the OP is now out on his bike following the offenders and will be back with photo evidence for us to see.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Reporting a quarantine breaker?’ is closed to new replies.