Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Reporting a near miss
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Driving to work yesterday on the A3. Approaching an on road/slip road entry and was in the middle lane to allow traffic to join. Car joins and comes straight over into my lane almost into the side of me! I had to swerve out of the way and into the outside lane to avoid them. Couldn’t believe it and never had to take such evasive action before. I moved ahead and then inside lane (which the other car was now in) and slowed right down. Partly to get my bearings but also to get their license plate (which I did) They passed me in the middle lane mouthing ‘sorry’ but I never felt so close to being cleaned out in a car and had there been other traffic I honestly believe there would have been an accident. So should I report them? If so do I need to give a statement? Ta

hels
    Free Member

It’s a bit pointless, no witnesses, no contact, your word against theirs. There are a lot of assholes on the road, at least you got an apology. I’d take that !

bails

^+1

They don’t do anything when there’s actual contact and video evidence*, just let it go. At least they realised and apologised.

*Side swiped on the bike by a hit and run car, told by the police “no, we won’t even look at the footage because if you’re not seriously injured then the driver hasn’t done anything wrong”.

fontmoss
    Free Member

🙁 The shitty icing on a crap weekend then

stumpy01

Approaching an on road/slip road entry and was in the middle lane to allow traffic to join. Car joins and comes straight over into my lane almost into the side of me! I had to swerve out of the way and into the outside lane to avoid them. Couldn’t believe it and never had to take such evasive action before.

Seems to be the normal ‘joining from slip road’ manouevre of late. The number of people who ‘just join’ massively outweighs the people who ‘attempt to merge’.

Often you can’t move over as cars are passing on the outside, but these moron drivers still continue on their attempt to get alongside you and just move out, rather than slot into the gap behind or put their foot down and get cleanly ahead.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I was pretty stunned tbh, no one in the inside lane so plenty of space for them to join and no one to hold them up ahead – they basically just tried to cut across 2 lanes for no reason. Terrifying

Brown
    Free Member

Genuine mistake followed by apology?

fontmoss
    Free Member

Hell of a mistake to cut over 2 lanes as you enter a 3 lane road?

FuzzyWuzzy

I had a mini-bus pull out on me on the M4 as I was over-taking it, despite my panicked horn-sounding I had to emergency brake and go half-way onto the shitty stuff in the middle before the armco. It was the most scared and angry I’ve ever been in a car, I seriously think if I’d have had a gun I’d have shot at him. Nothing I could have done though regarding the police so just had to let it go.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I want one of those cameras…

DezB
    Free Member

Hell of a mistake to cut over 2 lanes as you enter a 3 lane road?

Just what people do these days isn’t it? Get out of the lorry lane* soon as they can – I’ve even seen coppers do it.

*No, that’s not what I think it is – I spend most of my time in it.

It’s a bit like sitting in the middle lane because there’s a slip road approaching 5 miles or so up the m’way. Just what people do.

hels
    Free Member

Since my latest near miss on a motorway on the motorbike, I have a theory that everyone should have to pass the advanced driving test before they drive a car. You can have 6 months on a learner. All the other fatties can catch the bus or walk. Think how much nicer the roads would be in the morning ? Think of how much better it will be for the environment ? Bus companies will make a killing, and you will be able to pick up some awesome second hand cars dead cheap. Everybody wins.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Reporting a near miss’ is closed to new replies.