Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Replicating SPD-SL cleat position to Look Keo cleats?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Just got some Keo cleats to put on my shoes, and want to replicate the position from the SPD-SL cleats that are on them.

Can’t see any fore/aft centreline markers on the new cleats to work from – any suggestions on where on the Keo cleat is above the pedal axle? Thanks in advance!

legend
    Free Member

Can you attach them to the shoe, clip it into the pedal and make a mark on the side of the cleat?

Just in case……. you have changed the pedals to Look too?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ha, good thinking – the slight complication I have is that I don’t have the bike in question, or in fact the pedals themselves, to hand… I’m riding a Look Keo equipped track bike at the Velopark next week, and it was as cheap to get some cleats and use my own lovely shoes with cleats as it would be to hire the shoes when I’m there, so I decided to add unnecessary complication to my life by going for that option. And now I’m committed to it so will see it through, goddamnit. 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Try the Keos but don’t buy any; the quality is terrible compared with SPD-SL.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ok, that’s what I’m anticipating… still need to get them set up, mind!

mike_p
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Keos… you just need to avoid the cheap plastic versions, which wear out quickly, and get the ones with the metal contact plate

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ok, I’m not in the market for any – I just need some help with the cleat positioning please!

TheGingerOne

I’d just draw round your current cleats with a marker pen to ensure you get them back in the right place and just attach the Look cleats to be as centrally spaced on your outline as possible.

For a few hours on an unfamiliar bike with the seat height, seat angle, handlebar height, handlebar width all different, cleat position is not going to be critical imho

theflatboy
    Free Member

TGO – ta, that actually sums up the loose thought process I’d been working on, it just occurred to me that if the Keos are significantly different forwards or backwards that approach might not work. But you’re right about the latter point. Cheers!

therevokid
    Free Member

Keos have a raised rib vertically on either side of the cleat
    indicating the center line.
    It’s just about level with the forward edge of the rear screw
    holes.

http://www.bikyle.com/cleatsrd.asp

Have a look at the image for the grip cleats

theflatboy
    Free Member

Gotcha, cheers that helps a lot!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Can’t you take your own pedals and swap them with the ones on the track bike? Only takes a few seconds.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Nope, it specifically says not.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, they used to let you back when Manchester opened, but 15-20 pedal swaps a week per bike, plus the odd cross threading or stripping meant they were (apparently) getting through cranks at a fair rate.

So they stopped it.

Makes sense i suppose.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Fair enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Replicating SPD-SL cleat position to Look Keo cleats?’ is closed to new replies.