Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Replacing windows laptop with iPad Pro/Air2, sensible move ?
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Still a little puzzled by this thread. If she’s really set on a Mac, go get a Mac.

I wanted to find out if an iPad Pro/Air would be a suitable/cheaper replacement for a MacBook. It seems it isn’t.

You ask a question, get opinions, then read them out to your wife to provoke a response. Yet this is the posters being childish?

I read out ONE response to her.

The one that said “if she doesn’t like windows10 then buy her some computer lessons!”

If she’s totally clued in and wants something to work in MS Office software, she wouldn’t be suggesting an iPad really would she.

I never said, or even suggested she was “totally clued in” about Apple products.
    She wants something (among other things) to work on documents
    Sometimes those docs will need to be transferable to PC users.
    And also, she didn’t suggest an iPad. I enquired on here if it was suitable as it seemed on the surface at least, to be an alternative to a MacBook.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Toasty gives a nice summary actually, and reflects many of my opinions. I use an iMac, MacBook, iPhone and – occasionally – an iPad. I also use a Dell Windows 10 laptop and a Chromebook. Without a shadow of a doubt the Apple stuff is a joy to use and my preference, but not because of the OS necessarily; it’s just tasty hardware. The only one that has never given me any grief is the Chromebook. That’s the one that “just works”. I will also confirm that Apple stuff is as frustrating as hell when things don’t work as they should, which happens.

Toasty

I wanted to find out if an iPad Pro/Air would be a suitable/cheaper replacement for a MacBook. It seems it isn’t.

Ah, I see. I really think she’d bump into limitations with an iPad, even a Pro. Macbooks are lovely bits of kit though, things like the trackpad quality is right up there, I’ve not used a Windows one as good. I think it’s hard to advise them objectively, as you’ll always get better value with a cheap plastic Windows laptop, but you do get quality.

It’s a shame she’s not a fan of Windows, as something like the Surface would give both options (although they’re crap on your lap if you want the keyboard, if I’m honest).

Without a shadow of a doubt the Apple stuff is a joy to use and my preference, but not because of the OS necessarily; it’s just tasty hardware.

Indeed, I really find it a genuine shame that everyone else struggles to make laptops or tablets as high quality. The XPS feels like it’s trying too hard, carbon fibre interior ends up covered in fingerprints in seconds, the track pad just isn’t as good, dust gets down the side of the screen. It’s lovely, there’s just a few really obvious flaws, I can’t really fault my Macbook, I just don’t like the software as much 🙂

I’ve been to Google IO for the last few years, everything Android/Google/Chrome related obviously. Virtually all the developers had Macbooks.

kelvin

How easy to use is the virtualbox thing linked earlier ?

Very. No real learning overheads above the hassle of switching your brain between using different OS on the same hardware.

There are paid for alternatives as well, but I’ve linked you to the open source option to keep your other half’s costs down,

Do you need licences for anything you run in “virtual” bit.

Normally, yes,

Hence my second link… virtual machines that Microsoft let you use for 90days for free… so can test the idea out before spending money on a licence.

You need loads of disk space to uses these tools though, so consider that if she does buy a MacBook of any kind. She’d probably need a pro (older version via refurb is my suggestion).

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve not used a Windows one as good.

In the limited time I’ve spent with a Mac I reckon the Surface touchpad is as good – but only on the new style keyboards.

But then they are about as expensive as Macs so it ought to be.

You need loads of disk space to uses these tools though

W10 can be run in 32Gb if necessary.

hammyuk
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member
    Office 365 works fine on either and no difference at all to anything
    Take these statements with a pinch of salt. I use Office 365 on my Mac daily and use Office something-or-other on my Windows 10 laptop and there are differences. Some are trivial, some are a PITA (for me). YMMV.

You are comparing two different systems though.

I have a Macbook Pro, iPad Pro 12.9″ (with stylus), Vaio with W10 and an older iPad – they all run identically using 365 – no issues transferring files, using a central Onedrive, cross platform, etc.

I uninstalled Office from the Vaio because there were formatting issues from W10 to Mac – 365 stops this as it ensures compatibility.

Plus I can log into 365 from ANY browser ANYWHERE and access my docs regardless of the OS, saving them, distributing them, etc.

Yes using the screen can be a PITA – no denying it.
    However the Pro with keyboard/stylus is almost as good as the Mac keyboard and a similar size so removes that issue on the older iPad. But then so did the bluetooth keyboard before but without the larger footprint.

As for the comment above about not being able to plug in a USB stick – a non comment.
    Lovely adapter sat here that charges and takes your camera, USB, etc for file transfers.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You are comparing two different systems though.

Fair point

they all run identically using 365

Is that a fact (i.e. are there really no feature gaps between any of them) or is it just based on what you use? Genuinely curious. For instance, a few people at work use the voting feature in Outlook for Windows, but that’s not in Outlook for Mac as part of Office 365. Based on what you’re saying, that feature won’t be in Outlook 365 for Windows either, which is a step back from what was in Outlook for Windows before.

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Replacing windows laptop with iPad Pro/Air2, sensible move ?’ is closed to new replies.