Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Replacing windows laptop with iPad Pro/Air2, sensible move ?
  • jimdubleyou

Which is why, my question was regarding the differences between buying a MacBook and an iPad Pro/Air
    And wether an iPad would work as a substitute for a MacBook for her useage.

Get a Macbook of your favoured flavour / budget then.

The ipad (pro or otherwise) won’t add anything but pain to any school based workflow.

kelvin

If she’s dead set on a Mac, go straight to http://www.virtualbox.org

And to try it out quickly: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

iPad wise, convince yourself it’ll do it all if you want, but doubt your other half will thank you within a term… great as a second device for her… my other half has a work laptop she swears at daily, but can access everything the school throws at her, but also has a school iPad that is great for school videos and making all creation tasks simpler.

nealglover
    Free Member

iPad wise, convince yourself it’ll do it all if you want, but doubt your other half will thank you within a term

Seriously, I’m not trying to “convince myself” of anything.
    I’m asking the question and trying to find out the answer.
    I won’t be using whatever she buys, so it makes no odds to me on that front, but it would be nice for her not to “overbuy” if an iPad would do what she needs it to.

kelvin

It won’t. Which is a shame. Why not borrow one and see if she can get to Easter without failing to access school resources? Experience of the teacher in this house is that she won’t get to Friday…

jimdubleyou

I will add: Mrs Dubs got given an iPad for school work. It lasted about a term and she uses our shared Macbook Pro now…

nealglover
    Free Member

Why not borrow one

That would be ideal, but I don’t know anyone who has one that they don’t use.
    From what I can see, all the school stuff seems to accessed via a browser (to get to the school network)
    All her own resources are either stored locally or on a memory stick/cloud based.

It sounds like a MacBook is possibly the best option though?

How easy to use is the virtualbox thing linked earlier ?
    Do you need licences for anything you run in “virtual” bit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All her own resources are either stored locally or on a memory stick/cloud based.

So next question how are you using the memory stick with the Ipad?

jimdubleyou

Just a wild stab in the dark – is all her work stuff a nightmare because of the new Edge browser in windows 10?

I don’t have a Win 10 machine myself, but whenever I use the in-laws one it’s a frustrating mix of two different browsers.

nealglover
    Free Member

So next question how are you using the memory stick with the Ipad?

She wouldn’t (obviously) which is why I included Cloud based in the same sentence.
    Hardly a difficult thing to work around is it ?

nealglover
    Free Member

Just a wild stab in the dark – is all her work stuff a nightmare because of the new Edge browser in windows 10?

Not 100% sure but I don’t think so, I’m pretty sure she uses Chrome browser.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not until you need to find something to plug the USB into to move it to the cloud or when somebody isn’t in the same cloud and has no idea how to share. Issues like this tend to become those really annoying things you were going on about before. (Like not being able to plug a USB stick into a macbook)

nealglover
    Free Member

Not until you need to find something to plug the USB into to move it to the cloud or when somebody isn’t in the same cloud and has no idea how to share. Issues like this tend to become those really annoying things you were going on about before. (Like not being able to plug a USB stick into a macbook)

She uses the memory stick now as it relevant to the kit she has.

She would use cloud based storage (more than she does already) if a memory stick wasn’t relevant to the kit she used.

Like I said. Not a difficult problem to solve.
    Hardly a problem at all really in her particular case. She would just stop using it.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Office 365 works fine on either and no difference at all to anything

Take these statements with a pinch of salt. I use Office 365 on my Mac daily and use Office something-or-other on my Windows 10 laptop and there are differences. Some are trivial, some are a PITA (for me). YMMV.

I read this thread and can’t help but think that an iPad Pro, even with keyboard and stylus, is the wrong tool. As some have said above, it’s not really clear what the problem is here other than your wife doesn’t like Windows. If it was me, I’d be digging a little deeper into the reasons. If it is simply that she desires an Apple device, that’s fine and I completely get that, but in my experience I’d recommend a MacBook rather than an iPad. Even within Apple’s own software suite there are differences in functionality between iOS and MacOS. For instance I bought a MacBook for my mobile device because the iOS version of Photos was lacking in some important functionality that was in the MacOS version.

{EDIT} – I regularly need to plug my device into HDMI for presentations, which is simply not possible with iPads and new MacBooks unless you have a dongle. Worth remembering.

seosamh77
    Free Member

If she hates windows, probably best just getting her computer lessons, teach her how to use a computer properly..

Cougar

Or who have never tried something. FFS… trollgrips, mikewindowssmith and Cougar. Guaranteed to piss themselves on a Mac thread. Every. ****. Time.

Seems fair given how many comments I’ve made on this thread.

I’ve nothing against Macs, it’s blind fanboyism I object to. And I think you’ll find it’s far, far more common the other way around. I firmly believe in using (and recommending) the right tool for the job.

If you can’t say what about Win 10 annoys you then how do you know a mac will fix it? That one is the consultant question. You can’t fix what you don’t understand.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Your OP states she uses Word and “speradsheets” so presumably Excel. Later you state that most of her work is done via a browser. Is she using a local copy of Office or is it all Office 365 online?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve not got an iPad pro (mines an Air) but find doing any real work on the iPad a pain. A separate keyboard would probably help but the versions of Office on the iPad are still rather limited. Likewise trying to use google docs on there is slow and frustrating. Great for consumption, but still not up to the mark for creation IME (and even for shopping – there are a surprising number of websites that will present un-fillable boxes or dialogs that can’t be cancelled on an iPad.

The MS Surface I’ve played with is a really nice piece of kit.

My experience of Excel on the Mac is that it’s fine (and I’m only on 2011 version). It might lack some of the complex functions but in normal use it’s never been a problem (and I was swapping fairly complex spreadsheets between windows and mac regularly a few years back.)

nealglover
    Free Member

Your OP states she uses Word and “speradsheets” so presumably Excel. Later you state that most of her work is done via a browser. Is she using a local copy of Office or is it all Office 365 online?

She uses Word and Excel on her Laptop.
    Most of the school resources are accessed online through a browser.
    Worksheets etc are downloaded from the School system to the Laptop, edited as required, then printed for classroom use.

it’s not really clear what the problem is here other than your wife doesn’t like Windows.

She hates windows10 specifically, as do millions of other people it seems (I googled “hate windows 10”)

If it was me, I’d be digging a little deeper into the reasons. If it is simply that she desires an Apple device, that’s fine and I completely get that, but in my experience I’d recommend a MacBook rather than an iPad

She’s way more knowledgable about Windows useage than I am so I can’t really dig any deeper I’m afraid.
    it is indeed looking like the MacBook will be a better option than the iPad.

If she hates windows, probably best just getting her computer lessons, teach her how to use a computer properly..

I just read this to her, she rolled her eyes, in that way that teachers of mouthy 6 year olds often do, and said “that forum has its fair share of ****s doesn’t it”

But thanks nonetheless 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

She hates windows10 specifically, as do millions of other people it seems (I googled “hate windows 10”

If you Google hate free cake and bike rides you’d probably get a similar confirmation. IMHO win 10 is easy to use, quick simple and straight forward. For basic office and web work it’s hard to beat, there must be something going wrong there but you don’t seem to be able to tell us. I’m sure once the cash is sunk on a mac you will have no problems at all, just make sure you get a full set of dongles.

nealglover
    Free Member

Mike, you may just have to come to terms with the fact that some people don’t like
    windows10, quite a few in fact.

You may like it, and that’s fine. But not everyone agrees with you. Hope that’s ok.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just read this to her, she rolled her eyes, in that way that teachers of mouthy 6 year olds often do, and said “that forum has its fair share of ****s doesn’t it”

I’ve spent a lot of time swimming upstream trying to stick with what I like, and I learned it’s a mug’s game. Some battles just aren’t worth it.

That’s my point, call me a **** if you like but it’s still good advice.

she rolled her eyes, in that way that teachers of mouthy 6 year olds often do

If we’re going to get into a slanging match, let me just comment that I hope she doesn’t roll her eyes at the kids!

rone

Use Windows 10 day in and out. I still think it’s a messy operating system with a confused personality. But it’s okay.

Isn’t this a tablet/hybrid v laptop debate anyway?

You get used to anything but I still find myself working at a decent desktop with a few monitors the best experience. Certainly for productivity.

A surface book may suit you.

nealglover
    Free Member

Try re reading my post and see who I quoted right before that comment, and who I was actually responding to.

[clue] it wasn’t you.

Cougar

Neal, you’re missing the point.

We’re not saying “hey, you don’t like Windows, you must be a freak / wrong,” we’re saying that if you can quantify why you don’t like something then we might be able to address that. Rather than, you know, spunking fifteen hundred quid on something shiny that may or may not be fit for purpose.

For example:

“I don’t like biryani” – why? – “well, I really don’t like peas” – ok, we’ll cook it without peas in future.

Cougar

Plus of course, Windows 10 is software, not hardware. If it’s specifically Windows 10 she dislikes but got on fine with previous versions you could flatten it and put Windows 7 on there. Or all manner of versions of Linux, if you were so inclined.

nealglover
    Free Member

Neal, you’re missing the point.

We’re not saying “hey, you don’t like Windows, you must be a freak / wrong,” we’re saying that if you can quantify why you don’t like something then we might be able to address that.

I get that.

But I also know that she’s more than likely made her mind up and won’t buy another windows machine.
    Being realistic, nobody will change her mind, so I’m not going to try.

I’m just trying to make sure she buys the right alternative.

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t this a tablet/hybrid v laptop debate anyway?

Well yes, but it’s a trade-off that only exists in Apple land, hence the W10 comments. You can have both in Windows land.

nealglover
    Free Member

Molgrips. Did you read my reply above?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes.

I was responding to rone.

nealglover
    Free Member

7 posts above this one.

dragon
    Free Member

If its anything like the school I know then the kids bring in work on USB sticks to class, so having access to run them is essential.

Oh and don’t be skin flint if she wants a Macbook get her a flipping Macbook an ipad is sh*te for ‘proper’ work. (I still think a Win10 machine is the better optio nmind.)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sounds like we’re not going to get to the bottom of the anti Windows 10 thing. Instead, let me give you some MacBook experience.

I have a 2015 MacBook; the 12″ retina display one that is really light and small.
    Good stuff: it’s really light and small.
    Bad stuff: it’s really light and small.

As a portable device in laptop form factor it is fab! My brother in law had an iPad with clip on keyboard and my MacBook is lighter. However, I think it is too small and light to use for hours at a time sat in an office at a desk. Unless portability is hugely important, get something bigger.

nealglover
    Free Member

If its anything like the school I know then the kids bring in work on USB sticks to class, so having access to run them is essential.

Oh and don’t be skin flint if she wants a Macbook get her a flipping Macbook an ipad is sh*te for ‘proper’ work. (I still think a Win10 machine is the better optio nmind.)

The kids don’t bring in work on memory sticks (at least not the age she teaches), so that’s not an issue for her.

Oh and by the way, I’m not “getting her” anything ( #everydaysexism 😉 ) the little lady has her own money, and will be buying it herself.

And fwiw, I probably agree that Win10 is a better option, but she doesn’t, and as I said earlier it’s just not worth me trying to change her mind.

nealglover
    Free Member

As a portable device in laptop form factor it is fab! My brother in law had an iPad with clip on keyboard and my MacBook is lighter. However, I think it is too small and light to use for hours at a time sat in an office at a desk. Unless portability is hugely important, get something bigger.

Interesting that the MacBook is lighter than the iPad/keyboard combo, didn’t expect that.
    Small and light will be a bonus for her, she carries a mountain of stuff already.
    And it’s not in use for hours at a time like an office based worker would be doing.

Cougar

And fwiw, I probably agree that Win10 is a better option, but she doesn’t, and as I said earlier it’s just not worth me trying to change her mind.

In that case, your only safe option is “buy what you want, then.” Because otherwise, you’ll recommend something, it won’t do what she needs it to do, and it’ll all be your fault. Danger, Will Robinson. (-:

Sorry if this has been asked already but, has she used a Mac before? It might be worth seeing if she can borrow one, or go play with one in a Store, before parting with a lot of cash on something she could potentially either love or hate. (That said, they hold their value pretty well.)

nealglover
    Free Member

Just as dangerous to say “buy what you want”

Because then I’ll get blamed for not helping if it’s not perfect in every way.

Danger at every turn, Maybe I’ll just move.

It might be worth seeing if she can borrow one, or go play with one in a Store, before parting with a lot of cash

She’s at John Lewis right now. 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place Neal. Not sure any amount of advice on this thread is going to help you 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

It has though really. I now know that the MacBooks have more versatility than the iPad Pro/Air. So it’s a safer bet.
    The MacBook still may not be perfect, but then again, nothing ever is really.

(She may not like it after she’s had a play in store anyway, time will tell)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Care to point out any factual problems there? I use Windows 8-10 hours a day…

You’ve never used a Mac. You have absolutely no basis for comparative discussion. You have zero experience of something you rail against and you consistently and repeatedly troll threads where people ask for advice on Apple products. You’re like a bad smell; or a Windows update.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Let us know how she gets on

Toasty

Still a little puzzled by this thread. If she’s really set on a Mac, go get a Mac. You ask a question, get opinions, then read them out to your wife to provoke a response. Yet this is the posters being childish?

If she’s totally clued in and wants something to work in MS Office software, she wouldn’t be suggesting an iPad really would she.

I have a Macbook Air Pro, XPS 13 and iPad Air 2, before the above ridiculous argument comes back. I just find Mac OS convoluted, even just getting around the filesystem is more clunky, for no good reason. Even trivial stuff like quickly make a text document and shove some notes in it, 2 clicks in Windows. Add something to the environment variables, command line in MacOS, it just feels like Unix the second you go off the beaten track. If I wanted simple and fast I’d get a Chromebook, if I wanted fully featured I’d get Windows. Just my personal opinion.

Opinion probably depends on the angle you’re coming from, I’m a developer. Visual Studio is lovely, Xcode is utterly awful.

They do make nice high end laptops though! Lovely bits of kit.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Replacing windows laptop with iPad Pro/Air2, sensible move ?’ is closed to new replies.