Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Replacing window with french door
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

We’ve currently got a window in our kitchen and in order to allow more light we’d like make it into a french door. Is this as simple as I think it is or are there some hidden issues? (it’s a standard brick and block cavity wall below the window). Thanks.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Will the door be the same width as the window thats there just now?

wors

i did the same in my last house.
    Window out, cut down with stil saw, bash the old brick out. Put french doors in

Cover the cavity while you work, trying to retieve a hammer from one isn’t easy!

JEngledow
    Free Member

Will the door be the same width as the window thats there just now?

Yes, window opening is 1190mm wide, which appears to be a standard size 🙂

wwaswas

check local building regs and also think about what happens if you breach the damp proof course but I don’t think there’s any structural work needed to reinforce above the new door.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

are there some hidden issues?

Sufficient height under the lintel ? Water ingress via the threshold ? …….are you having a step up ?

spooky_b329

As long as the top of the window is high enough to be used as a doorway 🙂

Obviously you need to check things like plumbing that may be behind any kitchen units currently there, whether steps will be required outside etc. Also, in our situation it was a close thing with the new door hitting the gutter on our extension (which is a step down so the gutter is low.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hey – we want to replace a french door with a window. Want to swap? 🙂

JEngledow
    Free Member

We’ve currently go the back door approx 400mm and then the window, unfortunately they have two separate lintels. The top of the door and window are level and I’d take the window down to the same level as the door (directly above DPM). The inside wall is clear.

Initially we were looking to put a small extension onto the kitchen, but the quotes are far too high to make it worthwhile, so I’m just looking for a cheap(er) option to get more light in and allow us to see the garden (existing window sill is quite high). Thanks.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

in our situation it was a close thing with the new door hitting the gutter on our extension

In theory a french window/door should open inward, although it is unusual for glazed rear doors to open internally in the UK as it restricts available space for furniture.

Although personally I don’t like outward opening external doors as is it causes problems with the wind catching them (restrictors can be fitted but they have to be very securely fixed) And end grain can be exposed to the elements (fit drip/canopy above door) Also the hinges are prone to corrosion.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

did this last year on mine, fairly easy job

window out
    stil saw out down to required level
    tidy up edges
    fit new doors
    easy

only thing you really have to watch is internal / external levels you may need a step on the outside as your finished internal floor will be higher than outside

also as you are altering the external apperance of the house you will have to submit for a building warrant and pay the required fee

therag
    Free Member

If you are using a window company, they will be fensa registered which does away with YOU having to mess about with regs.
    I think we used to charged about £850 to supply & fit French doors and make opening using original lintel. That was a few years ago so may have gone up but should be under £1k

ransos
    Free Member

We had this done last year. The door was installed just above the DPC with a step on the outside. The door is the same width as the window so the existing lintel was fine.

We fitted sturdy metal stays and a door stop to stop the doors swinging in the wind and causing damage.

avdave2

We were about to do the same when the bricklayer pointed out that the outer wall had no lintel and although that wasn’t a major problem he advised that if we were doing the work to stay long term rather than sell then he’d put a lintel in. Anyway the upshot of it was that as we decided to get the lintel done we decided also go from a 6′ opening to an 8′ one. It meant getting a structural engineer in and going through building regs but the end result is vastly better than what we would have had and well worth the extra cost involved.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Replacing window with french door’ is closed to new replies.