Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Replacing physical office information screens?
  • mrsheen
    Free Member

We had senior managers enthusiastically suggest wider roll out of wall mounted TV screens which continually display vital HR information. Someone quite rightly opposed on energy saving grounds.

Is there an alternative to this which is widely available on windows 10 laptops? I was thinking some kind of teams based pop ups rather than another email. Granted pop up are annoying too!

StuF

Page on the corp intranet?

kilo

Not bothering as it sounds like bullshit bingo corporate ****?

poly
    Free Member

Is there an alternative to this which is widely available on windows 10 laptops? I was thinking some kind of teams based pop ups rather than another email.

It wouldn’t be rocket science to automate a teams message going out at a set time each day with the points you want to highlight.  Like all such comms they will quickly be ignored as “noise” once people get used to them.

Page on the corp intranet?

Setting the home page of your browser to your Intranet “message of the day” is probably how most places do it.

phil5556

You know those little windows they put in doors to make sure you don’t smack the door into someone coming the other way?

Put posters over them, that’s what they did at my place, right infront of your face as you go through the door. Can’t miss them. 😁

🙄

tomnavman
    Free Member

I have seen a lot of companies changing the desktop background on users machines for this purpose, and other basic training / reminders – phishing awareness campaigns etc.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Thanks all. Maybe teams automatic message is the way forward.

willard

yeah, or maybe seeing if you can put MOTD on the Windows screensaver, that way _every_ lock PC becomes an information screen!

zilog6128

or maybe seeing if you can put MOTD on the Windows screensaver, that way _every_ lock PC becomes an information screen!

again though, terrible idea environmentally, screens should just shut off if not being used rather than run a screensaver!

What info do they actually want to display, and why? Would it actually be helpful to anyone? You can get quite large e-Paper screens now – like a Kindle – they only actually consume power when updating so perfect for “always on” displays. Could run it off a small mini-PC or would make a great Pi project!

Cougar

What exactly is “vital HR information”?

First define the issue / request / requirement, then worry about a solution.

IdleJon

What exactly is “vital HR information”?

Deaths since 2022 – 5 6

simon_g

If you use Teams then this does exactly that: https://github.com/OfficeDev/microsoft-teams-apps-company-communicator

NHS seem to use the screensaver for news / awareness stuff.

We use announcements in Yammer quite a bit, which inevitably means you get an email notification for it too. As said, this stuff really needs to be used sparingly, there’s some big orgs I work with that have tight rules on how often you can email/message/whatever staff about your project or migration or news because too much and it’s just noise.

tthew

seeing if you can put MOTD on the Windows screensaver,

And the TdF out if season? Maybe Darts for people not right keen on sport.

willard

Chapeau @tthew, very well done.

joshvegas
    Free Member

So a big digital poster that says “Joshvegas has been fired, see him to the door”

Traditional empty cardboard box on the desk does that

slowoldman

Ah an expensive notice board for the staff to ignore rather than a cheap one.

We had TVs set up in the last place I worked in (bank call centre) which would switch between call stats and announcements. They could also be switch to show actual telly when some “important” footy was on. Never got the TdF though. I could however hook up my iPad to the client wifi and fire up Eurosport.

oikeith

The company I work for now puts HR style info on the screensaver which shows when users lock their devices to go to the loo or lunch.

jca

Whiteboard…

bikesandboots

I was thinking some kind of teams based pop ups rather than another email. Granted pop up are annoying too!

Why not another email? Less annoying than a popup. If people are ignoring company emails, fix that instead of escalating to more intrusive methods.

MoreCashThanDash

We get these messages as our screen savers at work. If the civil service can figure it out….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.