Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replacing laptop hard drive…..
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

(I’m not a computer geek so please use nomal words! 🙂 )

It seems my hard drive has packed up, or is about to at least.

Now, I’ve replaced one on a PC before: Open PC, plug in new drive, turn on, reinstall Windoze. Job done.

I’m hoping I can do the same on the laptop…. Any reason I can’t? It can’t be hard, can it?

retro83
    Free Member

it’s the same, just make sure you get the right type (SATA/PATA)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, is that written on the drive?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, and any recommendations on make? Western Digital, Samsung, Seagate…?

They’re all about £40…….

vinnyeh

There’s some variation in the height of laptop hard drives- 9.5mm was the standard, but some of them are 12.5 and 15mm in the larger capacities. Check before you buy.

Waderider
    Free Member

You laptop will have a model number or part number on the back, a quick visit to the manufacturers website will confirm the connector type. I’ve never come across the height issue myself.

It is generally as simple as a desktop. The old hard drive may be screwed into a tray or bracket for mounting in the laptop, don’t throw this out with the old HD, you need it for the new HD.

You could always put a better operating system on there than windows, but that is a whole different kettle of fish………

retro83
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Oh, and any recommendations on make? Western Digital, Samsung, Seagate…?

They’re all about £40…….

Those are all pretty good. I prefer Samsung, but there really is not a lot between those three brands.

vinnyeh – Member

There’s some variation in the height of laptop hard drives- 9.5mm was the standard, but some of them are 12.5 and 15mm in the larger capacities. Check before you buy.

Yes, that is true, but those drives seem pretty rare

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Right. Got it out. That was easy, didn’t even have to take the whole laptop apart, it just slots in the side.

It’s marked as a SATA, but it’s not quite the same as the on in the pic up there…… It’s got an extra set of pins and they’re all shielded….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh, no, my fault. It’s the same as the pics on ebay!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Replacing laptop hard drive…..’ is closed to new replies.