Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • replacing iphones.. with what?
  • z1ppy

Partner and I have iphones, and they’re really are squeaking along (4 just old and tired & 4S with the wifi and battery issues), we’ve had iphones since forever & love them really, but are struggling to justify the cost of a good new one..

So what to replace them with? I know I’ll just ‘adjust’ but she has a Samsung Galaxy S3 works phone, that she hates with a vengeance. Not adverse to spending a £2-300 (just not on a basic 8Gb iphone).
    What have ppl move on to?… a second hand 5C/S? 😀

kcal

I’ve picked up my recent iPhones second hand – on forums rather than open market TBF.

Has worked out well – get a decent phone I know for a good bit less, and confident of previous ownership.
    May be looking for s/h 5S as current 4S is creaking a bit w.r.t. battery.

leffeboy

If you use windows computers at home you might want to consider a Lumia

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    unovolo
    Free Member

Personally unless I was deeply entrenched in the whole Apple ecosystem I wouldnt pay the premium required to be running/owning a iphone compared to other higher end phones from other manufacturers.

Your partners Galaxy S3 is a fairly old phone too so I wouldnt put much credence into that , the newer Android phones are probably a world a way from that in hardware and software implementation.

Me I really like Windows-phones but realise not everyone feels the same so I’ll suggest the usual go to a shop and fondle/play with some real handsets to see what YOU like.

z1ppy

TBH having supported windows (as a job) for years, I’m not sold on the idea of having it on my phone, but never say never..
    Not so deeply entrenched in the apple eco-system I couldn’t dig us out & getting rid of itunes would be just brilliant!

So what actual handset’s would ppl suggest?

kevj
    Free Member

I have a Nokia Lumia with work and it is the worst of the lot. There is not a single aspect better than my personal phone.

I don’t have an IPhone, but do have a IPad mini.

So, what I’ll recommend is my phone as it is head and shoulders above the two platforms mentioned. HTC M8 (or the newer M9). I accept the iPad and phone are different, but the U/I is not as intuitive or quick as the HTC.

Android is also so much better for file transfer and sharing, specifically as you are not reliant on ITunes.

Another recommend what I have response.

duckers
    Free Member

Moto e 2nd gen, so cheap you wont care if it breaks

richmars

As duckers says, Moto e.
    I was given an Iphone 6 for work 2 weeks ago. It’s a lovely thing, I just don’t like it. Got a Pay as you go Moto e from Tesco, does everything I need in a phone (90% work emails, text and camera).

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My 5S battery sucks!

I changed the battery on my old 4 and gave it to the old man – it lasts so much longer but no more updates.

I guess if you use it like a computer like me it won’t last long.

use it as a phone and you’re sorted.

z1ppy

Hmm, that not good on the 5S battery front…
    I tend to use mine as a phone & basic very app’s but just finding it very slow now (no updates!), g/f’s isn’t even last the day & I’ve changed the battery already & the last update screwed the wifi.

What ebay seller did you use Frankenstein, as I may try changing it again

mboy
    Free Member

Got an iPhone 5 that I’ve been toying with the idea of upgrading for some time now…

Condition wise it’s probably an 8/10, and importantly the battery still lasts a decent amount of time.

Make me an offer, so I can buy a new iPhone 6 of WYSIWYG! 🙂

EDIT: Oh and Jess has a VGC 4S that she doesn’t use any more (she’s just upgraded to a 5C), battery lasts a long time still, condition is probably 9/10. Again, make me an offer!

grum
    Free Member

I just bought a 32gb gold 5S from a store on eBay for £299. You wouldn’t be able to tell it isn’t new and has a 12 month warranty. Very happy with it.

Battery seems fine BTW.

z1ppy

£5 each? Sounds about fair.. TBH I wouldn’t buy another 4S unless it was stupidly cheap.

Grum, is that store buzz_sale2011, as I’ve seen it & it is tempting.

zippykona

I hated android phones but needed something that had a swappable battery and could play scrabble.
    Got an s3 and now really like it. Im always looking for the back button when using an iPhone.

spooky_b329

I got a Sony Z3 Compact from Voda for £225 + £10 PAYG (which they waived as I had to wait and I told them of my plans) which was to unlock it for £18 and keep my current T Mobile Sim.

Love it, some great features on the camera such as the high frame rate slow mo (which I know isn’t unique) but clever that you can film a bike/horse/cat and then afterwards, slow down part of the clip complete with slow motion sound.

To be honest, work phones always feel a bit rubbish especially when you are limited in terms of apps etc. I’ve always preferred Android but have a 4s for work and it seems clunky and old fashioned.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP you’ll pay a bit less but get an inferior phone, by all means have a look around but if you are happy with the iOS environment I suggest you bite the bullet and get another iPhone. Batteries can be changed by Apple and worth the premium there if you have at least a 5. The 4S is really too old technology wise now (I have one as a backup but it’s painful to use)

mboy
    Free Member

£5 each? Sounds about fair.. TBH I wouldn’t buy another 4S unless it was stupidly cheap.

Was thinking a bit more than that mate, but hey ho!

Her 4S didn’t seem to suffer many of the problems I’ve seen 4s’ have. It is damned near immaculate too…

Mobile valuer suggests her 16GB 4S is worth £65 traded in, and my 32GB 5 is worth about £110. If either are worth that or more to you, let me know…

cp

I have a Nokia Lumia with work and it is the worst of the lot. There is not a single aspect better than my personal phone.

This x100 !!! Windows phone 8.1 is horrible. I have a 930 with work and it’s so so bad. It’s actually crap.

Forward an email, but edit the content? No, can’t do that. Same with replies.

Use a search engine other than bing? Nope.

Use Google maps through the browser when bing/nokia maps fails to find a bike shop you know exists somewhere close by? Works well on most other mobile device…. Windows phone?? Nope.

Save an email attachment? Not if it’s a format the phone can’t natively open.

Make a phone call? Theres a 50% chance it will fail in one of several ways.

voodoo_chile

Mboy.what network is the 5 on ?

mboy
    Free Member

The 5 is on 3… 4S is on EE…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just like beetlejuice, except you only have to say it once..

onewheelgood

I recently bought a Sony Z3 Compact (the day before Vodafone did that £225 deal!). I paid £280 sim-free and unlocked, and I think it is a brilliant phone. The reviews all said it was a bargain at £450, and I think they’re right.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I went from the iphone to the Sony Xperia Z2, three of them cracked on their own accord, O2 then offered me an LG G3, its much better, very happy with it.

(rooted running android stock 5.1.1)

takisawa2

Work gave me this iPhone 6 a few weeks ago.
    It works well enough I prefer my old HTC OneX+.
    Camera is good though.
    Not a fan if this IOS mullarkey.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘replacing iphones.. with what?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts