Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Replacing front shifter on old hardtail
  • hankt81
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have an old GT hardtail 3×9 (Early 2000 aggressor 2.0 with Rockshock judy and cable disc) which I’m looking to dust off and use for kid duty.
    All seems ok, but the front shimano deore shifter has packed up.
    Looking on eBay, there are lots of second hand 3×9 shifters to choose from.
    1. Are they all compatible?
    2. Are any much better than others given that they all look affordable (£20ish second hand)?
    I cant see that the frame is good enough to warrant upgrading the bike with modern bits and trying to make a “good” bike out of it.

thols2

1. Are they all compatible?

Yes.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Edit – as Matt notes below, I read that as front deraillier for some reason. Nothing I’ve written here relates to a shifter.

1. Depends on the routing of the cable. Some front mechs are top pull, others are bottom pull, the useful ones work both ways.

2. There are differences in quality but they all get filled with mud during winter rides and bend if struck by rocks. You should be able to do better than £20 secondhand.

ianpv
    Free Member

I’d stick a wanted ad on here – many people will have a few kicking around for a lot less than £20!

Yak

Or get a new microshift shifter set. They make them for old 3×9. I’ve just done that to revive a paper-round bike. £15 from wiggle.

IHN

Where are you? I’ve got some decent 3×9 bits you can have for nowt if you’re local (Stockport/Peak)

matt_outandabout

front shimano deore shifter

Are we speaking about the front mech or the left hand shifter?

What’s ‘packed in’ – cable changes can solve seized up things on occasion.

wheelsonfire1

If it’s the shifter and not the mech (I misread it too!), they sometimes stick after a period with no use, the grease hardens and the tiny pawls stick. If you carefully undo the tiny screws holding the cover on (use lots of downward pressure and a tight fitting screwdriver) you should be able to see what’s happening, or not. Lubricate well with TF2 or similar and if the pawls are sticking then use a sharp pick to move them and allow the lube into the pivots. This usually works but if not I’d not recommend dismantling further, not worth the effort! Any replacement 8, 9 or 10 speed will work. If it’s the mech, they’re not all the same, they’re different shapes depending on speed, number of teeth and seat tube angle. I should be able to sort you out with anything you need if you direct message me.
    Hope this helps.

coatesy
    Free Member

Was just about to recommend the same as wheelsonfire, nothing to lose, and generally fixes the problem.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mech – seizes up and often needs replaced

Shifter/STI – the internal grease can dry up which is solved with WD40, otherwise fairly indestructible

hankt81
    Free Member

Thank you all.
    I am talking about the shifter (trigger).
    The leavers move, but dont seem to engage (dried up grease would fit with this). I took the top off but obviously need to take a better look in better light.
    Sounds like Ive every chance of resuscitating it. Thank you.

dyna-ti

If it helps when you has sprayed in something like gt85. Take the bare wire cable in your hand, pull it tight then click through the gears keeping the wire taut.

It helps with the action especially coming back down through the gears.

keithb

I’ve a couple of SRAM Shifter for front mechs on 3×9.  Free, based Nottingham, could post.  PM me if you want one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Replacing front shifter on old hardtail’ is closed to new replies.