Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Replacing front Pro 2 bearings
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Got some play in my front wheel and the bearings are pretty old (probably over 2 years) so I’m guessing they’re worn. Firstly is there a good online guide that shows how to replace em, preferably with pictures? I can only find one for the rear hub.

Secondly are these bearings likely to be any good or should I get something a bit pricier (the official one from ukbikestore is twice the price)? http://www.onlinebearings.co.uk/hope-pro-2-hub-bearings-pr-16472.html

Doesn’t a STW’er sell bearings that are well regarded?

Oh and it’s a 20mm version, do they use the same bearings as the QR ones and is the process much different?

tazzymtb
    _tom_
    Free Member

I found that but it doesn’t show how to get the 20mm end caps off, doesn’t seem like they just pull off unless I’m not pulling hard enough ( 😆 )

Oh and I found cheaper bearings on ebay, is there really any point paying more?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kbrembo
    Free Member

It’s an easy Job
    There is a little circlip holding the covers…just slip a small screwdriver in and work around it.

Buy a drift to knock out old bearings…

Give everything a good clean

Smear grease round the new bearings..

I used the old bearings placed on top of the new bearings and gave them a smack with a rubber hammer…slipped in perfect!

Same size of bearings for the 20mm

I have tried expensive bearings and to be honest they did not last any longer…..

Don’t forget to put in the axle spacer…

Good Luck

RustyMac

kaesae from this forum has this shop on ebay selling the bearing i think you mentioned in your first post.

For the 20mm hub the adapters are held on with circlips on the end of the hub main shell. You will probably need a small flat head screw driver to lever under one end and run it around to pop the circlip off.

tazzymtb

from memory on the 20mm converter there is a small expanding metal ring/circlip that holds the caps in. whiz that out and it’s easy peasy.

nosedive
    Free Member

to get the 20mm end caps off you just need to get something under the circlip, if you look one end is slightly raised. If you push a pencil under it and push around the circlip it will pop out and you can lift the 20mm end caps off

Mugboo

The 20mm thingy is held in by an incomplete metal washer (no doubt it has a name).
    Just use a biro to get underneath it and ease it out.

tazzymtb

3 answers all agreeing with each other on singletrack this must be a first!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Heat the hub with a rag tied round it and pour boiling water over it. new bearings in the freezer – it helps

_tom_
    Free Member

Cheers everyone sounds easy enough 🙂

Anyone used those kaesae bearings and are they worth the money over those I could get for a couple of quid?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don’t use cheap bearings would be my answer

Any decent branded bearing will be fine SKF, FAG etc. No idea what kaesae uses but I know some folk on her have used them and never heard any complaints

RustyMac

I currently have some of keasae’s bearings in my suspension bearings. I’ve been very happy with them so am planning on buying some pro 2 bearings off him this weekend when i am back down in edinburgh.

I have seen how little grease some of the bearings come with then how he fills them to help keep the crap out. If his are fitted properly then in my oppinion they should last longer so i am willing to pay a bit more for them.

Northwind

Cheap bearings are a total lottery, some are fine, some are terrible. I got 5 the same from the same seller, 1 was half-seized, 2 were rough, but the other 2 are still going strong in the hub months later.

_tom_
    Free Member

Well I just ordered some from kaesae’s ebay shop 🙂 SKF and FAG are almost the same price and probably come with less grease/weatherproofing so it seemed worth it.

john-b
    Free Member

mbbearings you can get them from here good quality and fast next day delivery

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Replacing front Pro 2 bearings’ is closed to new replies.