Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replacing firebricks
  • imnotverygood

Anyone any idea of a ballpark figure for the cost of getting someone to replace the firebicks of a small open fire? Got one quote so far and the price seems rather steep.

alibongo001

its really not hard to do yourself!

What is the make and model of the fire? – google that and firebrick and see what comes up – usually there will be a complete set from Ebay.

Often there are online instructions

Ive done the ones on my Esse Ironheart in about 30 mins

imnotverygood

It’s an old victorian fire so there aren’t any specs that I can find.

redmex
    Free Member

It will probably be baby bricks bullnose and bevelled with fireclay to glue them together definitely not a 30 minute job. Sore on the knees and i wouldn’t suggest it was a diy job

sharkbait
    Free Member

Is it made up of individual bricks or a one piece fireback?

devbrix
    Free Member

Have used fire cement to fit/refurbish old fireplaces at home. You could probably make your own fairly easily. Easy to get hold of and very cheap https://www.toolstation.com/fire-cement/p38992?store=T4&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiqv1_e6S5wIVAuDtCh1HfAEREAQYAyABEgKMxvD_BwE

imnotverygood

It is made up of individual bricks

footflaps

It’s an old victorian fire so there aren’t any specs that I can find.

I looked into this when we swapped our Victorian fireplace for a wood burner. They were all custom fit and I figured making my own would be the simplest way, plaster cast mould (from the broken bits) then set custom fire brick material (TBD). Then I thought ‘I can’t be arsed’ and threw the whole thing in a neighbours skip. Some people of possible Romanian origin and no fixed abode then took it…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Replacing firebricks’ is closed to new replies.