Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Replacing ebike battery?
  • Premier Icon oldnpastit

After 5 years of use the battery for my wife’s ebike (a Scott commuter) is pretty worn out. It will do about 20 miles on a charge now.

I’ve never replaced one of these.

Where do I get them from, and what do I do with the old one (dumping it into landfill seems like the wrong answer).

Premier Icon tomhoward

Where do I get them from, and what do I do with the old one (dumping it into landfill seems like the wrong answer).

The shop you bought the bike from, they might even take the old one off you.

Premier Icon jameso

they might even take the old one off you.

There’s a legal requirement that they do and the importer/distributor takes responsibility for recycling or disposal.

Premier Icon tjagain

The other option is to find someone who can recell the battery. They all contain the same cells. I think there are folk who can do this. would be cheaper but leave you without a battery while it was done

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

There was a thing on ebay where someone was recelling makita batteries.
    Surely there has to be a business in this, ebikes cost loads and if they die after 5 years because they can’t get a battery its not very environmentally friendly.

Premier Icon kayak23

Yes there are folks doing battery refurbishing out there if you have a search.

They’ll usually do any sort of battery. Ebikes, power tools whatever.

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

A quick google brings this and a lot of others.
    https://www.electricbikeworld.net/batteries

I guess what the OP is looking for is a recommendation from the community/hive mind?

Premier Icon doomanic

What brand is it?

Premier Icon oldnpastit

It’s a Bosch 400Wh (?)

I will give the bike shop a call on Monday (Rutland, local one has closed down but they still have some other branches).

Premier Icon andywoods
    Free Member

I use a company called overlander for my model requirements,they do all kinds of batteries and custom made packs, may be worth an look at their website and possibly an email.

Premier Icon doomanic

The Bosch BMS is tricky. If it loses voltage completely it’s bricked. I did a quick google earlier and none of the battery refurbishers listed Bosch. I’m not saying it’s impossible but it is difficult. A 400Wh battery should be fairly easy to find at a reasonable price new these days.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.