Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replacing an elderly rear shock
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Goodness knows why but I am contemplating resurrecting my 06 Specialized Enduro that was slung in the shed in Dec 2010 as the shock was knackered and MTBs got in the way of my TT’s. The shock isn’t rebuildable as the inner shaft has snapped and even a couple of years ago wan’t available. Can anyone one actually tell me the dimensions for a shock for the thing. Also things have changed somewhat in the last decade and names come and go. Are any of the new budget shocks worth using? Bear in mind the limit of my off roading is my cross bike on the Verderers trail in the FoD so doubt big air will be needed. Ta

Tracey

Mine had a Fox DhX 5 air shock on it. Think it 216 x 57 but I can’t remember if it had a special linkage on the back.
    I know it was a fiddle to get it in and out.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Cheers. Think mine was a DHX 4. Still got both shuttles which I think played with the rear end.

mboy
    Free Member

A quick Google reveals 216×57 shock size… So Any 216mm length shock should fit (within reason), but you’ll have to get its stroke reduced to 57mm from 63mm or risk things happening that you don’t want to happen (tyre/seat tube interface I’m guessing) etc…

Do you want to go coil or air? Do you have a budget in mind?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Cheers. Wasn’t sure about other sizes.
    Budget. Bugger all as I bet I’ll ride it once and sling it back in the shed for 10 years.
    Coil or air. God knows. See above:)
    Probably more economic to turn the frame into washers I guess.

mildred

You could “short shock” it and stick a metric 210x55mm shock in there. It’d slacken the angles slightly (akin to offset bushings) and you’d get a smidge less travel, but it could open the doors for a variety of different shocks for sale out there.

cakeandcheese

I’m pretty sure I put a longer coil on mine with no negative effects. Probably the 216×63 option above.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Cheers

bigginge

There were a few different variants produced for the 2006 enduro and not all used the 216 x 57 shocks, some used a 222 x 63 (8.75” x 2.5”) and the SX Trail went up to 229 x 70 (9” x 2.75”) giving 170 mm travel (but with different shock shuttles).

PM me If it would be useful for me to send over a copy of the frame manual.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Replacing an elderly rear shock’ is closed to new replies.