Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Replacing a laptop screen – anyone done it?
  • woody2000

Screen on my laptop got cracked at the weekend so I’m going to have a crack at replacing it myself. Anyone done it, got any tips? Doesn’t look like too difficult a job, but I’ve said that before and lived to regret it 😉

VanMan
    Free Member

Not difficult, just fiddly, try not to break any cables and all should be fine.
    Have done hundreds, used to fix the things, never managed to destroy one through hamfistedness which amazed me 😛

VanMan
    Free Member

Should add that if you YouTube the make and model someone will have posted a tear down video

Junkyard
    Free Member

straightforward if a bit fiddly was my experience of it

Cougar

Id varies in complexity but as VanMan says it’s largely just a bit fiddly. See if you can get a service manual for it from the manufacturer’s website.

Take your time, keep track of which screws go where, and be methodical.

woody2000

Take your time, keep track of which screws go where, and be methodical.

That’s where I tend to go wrong!

aracer
    Free Member

Have done a couple. Not difficult, you just need to concentrate. Far easier than a screen on an iPad!

For keeping track of screws, take lots of photos, or use a GoPro or similar if you have one!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Easy to do. Some more fiddly than others.

As others have said try youtube.

Watchmakers screwdrivers are your friends.

Check there isn’t a screen protector on the new screen, don’t do what I did and ask on here and the suppliers tech support, why there was some numbers visible on the screen all the time after the new screen was fitted. 😳

samuri
    Free Member

As above, a bit fiddly in places but take your time and you’ll have no problems. I’ve replaced about 7 or 8 now for various people. Make sure you have some good watchmakers screwdrivers.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Replaced the back-light in my screen last year, easy enough to get the screen out, as above just keep track of the screws, some are not immediately visible but hidden under rubber pads, need to ping these off first to access the screws. Un-plug tho old one and plug in the new & re-assemble, about as difficult as fitting a new headset on your bike.

woody2000

Looks like I’ve got a job over the xmas hols then. Quick scan of youtube reveals it’s not quite as simple as I’d hoped, but still looks doable. I’ve got to take the screen out to find out exactly which one I need anyway.

bonchance
    Free Member

changed a few as a last resort. Quite satisfying – in no order..

-Get some decentish ‘jewellers’ drivers. Many are rough, soft or just badly made.
    -Get a pry tool for the pop latches. Mastercards might do.
    -Try and confirm the replacement screen is OEM or better quality (hard I know). I had some dire ones, hard to send back after fitting.
    -Get some card,matcbox/small containers. Number the card or container and keep the screws etc. together by section. Best of all roll out some plstacine/blutack and keep the screws etc. on it!

Beware hot melt glue-it needs more grunt than a pedal to break free! , and you might be grateful for some ds contact tape to hold any broken clips/panels together when you reassemble!

woody2000

Good tips bonchance, thanks 🙂

bonchance
    Free Member

good luck! if you can get the old one out first, you can find the OEM marked numbers – try and match these up with the ebay or whatever photo of replacement.

quite a few screens will be generics – and the same chromebook or whatever might have a few different versions or mnfrs.

Using Feedback selector (findit with Google) may help check it’s kosher (Assuming you get rplcmnt from Ebay of course)

Cougar

Get a pry tool for the pop latches. Mastercards might do.

They’re called “spudgers” for googling purposes if you want a proper one. But yeah, I generally use an old store points card or some such; basically a credit card without any embossing.

Cougar

quite a few screens will be generics – and the same chromebook or whatever might have a few different versions or mnfrs.

That’s a very good point actually. The Lenovo service manuals list FRUs – spare part codes – and there’s generally a a few different ones for any given model.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Replaced the one on my Sony a couple of months back, pretty straightforward. Have a look on Youtube for a how to demonstartion.

My top tip is to make sure it works before putting it all back togehter!

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Try ifixit.com for a breakdown. If not Youtube. Get a big piece of paper to tape all the little screws etc. to in the order they came out in.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

-Get some decentish ‘jewellers’ drivers. Many are rough, soft or just badly made.

This, don’t buy those stupid ‘watch makers’ little metal handle ones, you can’t get any purchase on them. just buy small normal screwdrivers with decent size plastic/rubber grippy handles.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

ifixit – yes

These may be of use:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/proskit-14-part-ratchet-precision-screwdriver-set-l95bq

Or any existing ones in good/sharp condition with genuine Cr-V blades.

leffeboy

I’ve done it a couple of times and it was fiddly but ok. The people who supplied the screen also included instructions but it’s always good to also check YouTube to get a bit of confidence in what you are doing. I think the site was something like laptopsdirect.co.uk but I’m not at work so can’t check – sorry

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a laptop screen – anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.