Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Replacing a cast iron drainpipe with plastic – easy job?
  • DickBarton

My DIY skills don’t exist, but drainpipe on a bungalow has a 50p sized hole in it and I think it needs replaced.

However a job is it and what would I need?

In my ignorance I’m assuming I pry the holders open and can then remove old pipe. Put a plastic pipe in then close the holders again.

Holders is not the right term but I can’t think of the right one!

Or…what could I get to fix the hole? Needs to be idiot-proof as I have an amazing ability to put holes in things rather than fixing holes.

Downpipe at front of house and house was built 1870s…

Ta.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The holders you refer to I presume are downpipe brackets. They wont fit plastic downpipe and I would doubt very much that your connection at the gutter outlet will just marry up. I would look at patching the hole to be fair.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Repair wrap
    Possibly?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Also, cast iron pipe weighs an absolute ton, underestimate this at your peril.

kcal

Our rotted cast downpipes and gutters were replaced in our last house. Wasn’t too bad a job TBH but I didn’t do them – friendly roofer and his mate did. From memory, they used some kind of zinc that looked like cast iron but was a fraction of the weight, looked good too.

willjones
    Free Member

Just remodelled and upgraded one of our poo pipes. Easy, if mucky and I had some luck with the alignment with the back of the bog. It’s an easy, even fun job IF you don’t have to faff around with the drains and gutters or fabricating mounts to mount the U clips things on, or if you’re not 100 stories up. Slowly working through all our cast iron stuff and replacing with plastic (not sure the new stuff will last another 107 years though). And yes, weighs a ton, but easy enough to smash or grind it into bits. The plastic stuff is great to work with.

mariner
    Free Member

I second the weight warning.
    Found out the hard way and lived.

TheFlyingOx

Agree with above about weight. Not something I’d be doing if I were on my own and lacked faith in my DIY abilities. I’d be looking at a fiberglass patch – https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/fillers-preparation/davids-fastglass-glass-fibre-kit-small
    Or the repair wrap as per wrightyson. We use that kind of stuff (Technowrap) to fix pipes on oil rigs so I’m sure it’ll sort a drainpipe.

DickBarton

Had a nosey and the brackets (not holders!) are solid and hard set into the stone, so it’ll be a repair. Will take a nosey at the links and hopefully have it patched up, thanks.

simondbarnes

I’d use gaffer tape. My DIY skills are non existent.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a cast iron drainpipe with plastic – easy job?’ is closed to new replies.