Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Replacement vehicle key
  • olddog

Looks like I’ve lost one of the keys for my van. Where’s best to get a new one – I’m guessing main dealership is expensive. Any recommendations for Leeds/Bradford area?

olddog

duncancallum

I got one from timpsons

porter_jamie

until you have the cost of one from the dealer, you dont know if one from somewhere else is good value or not.
    got one for my merc van and it wasnt half as bad as i had feared.

steveh

Depending what van, a guy called craig nettleton does a lot.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/270275792987687/

rickmeister

If its a VW, from a dealer, new key and coding circa £150 all done.

jairaj

I used a mobile auto-locksmith type person a few years ago when my Renault Traffic key fob button broke.

He drove out to my work place, used the old key to cut a new one and program the key fob and about 20mins later it was all done.

I think he charged about £90.

Just used one of the “recommend a trades person” websites and choose someone with a good rating.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

As above, Craig Nettleton is mobile but based Huddersfield I think.

olddog

cheers – It’s £220 main dealership priced.

I’ll pay that if I need to as I need the key to fully function including remote locking as that’s how the deadlocks are activated. And once it is deadlocked it can only be unlocked remotely

olddog

I’ve got a Timpsons just down the road – I’ll give them a go next, it says they do remote keys

CountZero

cheers – It’s £220 main dealership priced.

Many modern keys also carry all of the vehicles service history, they don’t just operate and lock it, which is why they’re pricy; it’s about £250 for us if a key for a VAG, BMW, Merc, etc go missing, or so I’ve been told.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got one from Timpsons for £25, got a chip in it which does the immobiliser and things, works fine apart from no remote which doesn’t bother me at all. They do need one to copy though.
    When I lost the one for my Mondeo it cost me £200 for a locksmith to come out and open it and then make me one, but TBF it did take him ages to get into it.

footflaps

Many modern keys also carry all of the vehicles service history, they don’t just operate and lock it, which is why they’re pricy

The key probably costs about $2 to make, memory is dirt cheap.

The main cost is labour cutting it and reprogramming it (the programmer probably costs a few £k to buy).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Replacement vehicle key’ is closed to new replies.