Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Replacement headset for a Cannondale Lefty
  • monkeyp

The headset on my Rush is pretty much shagged and is beyond just replacing the bearings. Where the hell can I get a replacement? Absolutely no luck in searching for 'cannondale headset' on Google – only links to replacement bearings. I can't even find anywhere that sells the Cannondale SI headset.

Are there any other aftermarket headsets that will fit?

Cheers

Davy
    Free Member

Theoretically, a normal 1.5 headset should work, although there's a fair chance that it would need to be a specific depth for cannondale. I'm just speculating though…

bananaworld
    Free Member

Gotta be Cannondale, sadly. Try BETD for bearings (maybe…) but if not a Connondale dealer can order them for you (though Cannondale are astonishingly rubbish at sending stuff out so be prepared for a wait).

monkeyp

I can get hold of the bearings – it's the whole headset unit I want to replace.

Basically, on top of the headset is a rubber coated steel seal/washer. This has somehow got completely chewed up (probably from the last time I replaced the bearings as the fit was incredibly tight and took 3 hours of swearing to get the whole lot back together). You don't get a spare one of these with a set of bearings, but I am guessing you do with a new headset.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Ah, the fabled SI headset top washer!!

We keep one or two of these frankly priceless articles secreted in secret spots in the workshop as they are often needed when a feckless Cannondale-owner (no offence) thinks it'll be clever to try and work on their bike themselves.

Again, a Cannondale dealer can order one for you, but as they are often too stoned to answer the phone at Cannondale Europe, there'll be a wait…

dale
    Free Member

try Noah's Ark for the washer they have often posted hard to find cannondale bits,BETD for bearings

monkeyp

No offence taken – so what is the trick for re-assembling the headset without resorting to violence? It's such a damn tight fit – grease? magic? KY Jelly?

lovewookie

block of wood and a hammer normally works for me. The top seal then slides over the steerer.

It's getting old ones out that's the problem normally. I've had the inner race come out before, leaving the outer race stuck flush with the headset cup.

Ended up having to dremel a couple of slots in the outer race and cup. Cup still holds bearings fine though, which is nice.

z1ppy

just to clear up Davy's comments, you cannot use a 1.5 headset with a lefty/headshok, they are completely different to the cannondale 'lefty' headsets.
    The 1.5 is a newer std than the lefty, which actually measures 1.56.

"Basically, on top of the headset is a rubber coated steel seal/washer."
    I've never thought of it as part of the headset as such, more part of the lefty fitting kit. I may well be 'offically' wrong, but I've only ever seen the headsets sold on their own, and the washers with the 'lefty'.
    I believe I have a spare which I might part with if you can't locate one easily with a dealer. Though you now have me worried that I might have damaged mine when I fitted it last (with liberal use of force)

Andyhilton
    Free Member

To echo a couple of others in here. I had a similar problem about 18 months ago. I'm afraid you need to get a cannondale dealer to order you one. Mine was about £60 I think. A standard 1.5 will not fit as the headtube is 1.56.

z1ppy

£60 for the whole headset including washer AH?
    Either way ouch.

monkeyp

"the top seal then slides over the steerer"

mmm – for me it was more like – "the top seal slides half way on, gets stuck and then gets mangled trying to remove it". I had a mare getting this last bit in. This is a bonded Lefty, so you can't move the two crowns apart to get everything together.

Another Q – will a normal headset press work on the lefty bearings? Maybe I didn't whack them in enough on my last attempt?

Thanks all for the help!

disco_stu
    Free Member

if you just need the bearings and seals contact ThumbPrint Tuning only £26 on their website

Andyhilton
    Free Member

z1ppy. yup. whole headset. Ordered from Ken Fosters' in Chorlton.

Took about 10 days to get I think. You can order parts but as someone else said Cannondale Europe are rubbish.

I bought a headset off here as well (before the crash) for £25 or something similar.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Replacement headset for a Cannondale Lefty’ is closed to new replies.