Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Replacement front door – buildings regs approval
  • sl2000

I’ve just had a new front door fitted to replace one broken in a burglary last month. The door has a window but is well under 50% glazed. I’m selling the house and the buyers’ solicitor is asking for a FENSA certificate. The door was made and installed by a small non-FENSA registered joiner. Googling gives hits saying that a FENSA certificate is required for doors with more than 50% glass. My looking at buildings regs suggests that I do need approval for installing a new door, so the buyers’ solicitor is probably right in that something is needed (even if that isn’t FENSA). Sale exchange is meant to be next week so I need to do something ASAP. I’d be much obliged for thoughts from any STW experts in the area.

nickjb
    Free Member

Its a complete non issue other then during a sale. You can either play hardball and ask the solicitor if the buyer is happy for the sale to fall through over this (they are probably just as keen for things to go through but it is a gamble) or you get a worthless indemnity insurance policy just to get you out this unnecessary mess

flicker
    Free Member

Had this a couple of years ago, I’d fitted my own for and frame.
    Two options, indemnity policy which costs buttons or arrange council bod to visit and sign off, bit more expensive but no real hassle.

IHN

I’d imagine building regs is needed if you’re cutting a hole for a new front door, rather than replacing an existing door in the existing hole.

In any case, it’s probably possible to buy and indemnity for about £40, usually easier than getting the right paperwork or arguing with solicitors.

flicker
    Free Member

Building regs needed for replacing doors or windows, being fensa registered allows you to self certify (and generally carry out sloppy sub standard work from my experience)

gobuchul
    Free Member

As above, worthless indemnity insurance policy is the answer.

jam-bo

Indemnity policy will get things moving.

but it does seem to be a big scam dreamt up by conveyancing solicitors to extract a bit more easy cash out of the house buying process. i wonder what kind of commission rates they are on.

wors

I need to replace a UpVC unit in my kitchen, i’ve done it before and its hardly the most ardous task, as long as the units are made by a quality outfit why do building regs have to get involved? Bloody nonsene!!

sl2000

Lovely thanks! Will ask my solicitor about arranging indemnity policy.

As long as the units are made by a quality outfit why do building regs have to get involved?

I couldn’t see the point initially, but having looked at the regs I can kind of see why. The idea is that if someone is having a door replaced to make sure it’s replaced with a well insulated one. Without building regs there’s nothing to force the change to better insulation.

But I agree in the situation you and I find ourselves in it’s a pain to have to prove compliance.

the-muffin-man

I’m dreading it if we sell our house later this year – don’t think we have a certificate for anything! 🙂

IHN

Or us, I just expect to pay about £200 for indemnity policies and have done with it

gobuchul
    Free Member

Or us, I just expect to pay about £200 for indemnity policies and have done with it

It cost me about £250 to cover a non-HETAS stove installation, new front door, internal wall modification and some issue about a patch of land in front of my driveway that had no clear ownership.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Replacement front door – buildings regs approval’ is closed to new replies.