• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by P20.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Replacement for Nexus 7?
  • boblo
    Free Member

Sorry I know this comes up pretty often but (in theory) it’s a fast moving market.

I’m after a replacement for my 2nd gen Nexus 7 now the charging port is buggered. I’ve ordered another off evilBay, but need a spare tablet that is known to work OK. Similar size, 32gb ram and Bluetooth/wifi only, similar £££’s if possible.

Mainly used for email and website browsing so dunt need hyper performance or bells n whistles.

What good and what’s not please?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I thought I killed my Nexus 7 2013 last year, when cola flavoured drink drowned the charging port…

But I then discovered it has “Qi” charging, a USB lead connects it to my pc, I place Nexus on Qi pad and it charges up wirelessly, clever stuff! Cost me £15 from Ebay, plus the charging port came back to life a while later, happy days. 😀

Cougar

Nvidia Shield.

boblo
    Free Member

Oo I’ll get one of those QI whatsit’s as I can charge my phone with it as well.

Int the Nvidia whatsit a high end gaming tablet? I’m after something a bit more mid market (I think).

Cougar

It is. For £150.

boblo
    Free Member

Roigt ta. Is it still widely available? My Google is obv shite as I can’t see it still for sale.

trailwagger
    Free Member

You could do worse than an Amazon fire

Cougar

Roigt ta. Is it still widely available? My Google is obv shite as I can’t see it still for sale.

Ah, I don’t know. Maybe not. Sorry!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sat using a Samsung A10 here, good compromise size, works fine for me

boblo
    Free Member

Well I’ve pulled it apart like they do on Yew Toob and squeezed the port. Initially it wouldn’t take any charge at all despite it being a bit tighterer. After a bit of waggling, it’s just fully charged now though I’m a bit reluctant to unplug it in case it goes into sulk mode again.

I’ve a new port daughter board coming and one of those NFC chargers so the immediate panic is over.

Still need recommendations for a decent 7″ mid range tablet that isn’t £400 and is available now please?

P20

So the 2nd gen nexus charges via the QI pad without modification?? That would prolong ours for a bit after it’s wobbly charge port issues

stumpy01

I don’t know if you can still get them, but I really like my LG GPad 8.3

I think the updated one was 8″ and might have been a bit more basic, but I’d have another.
    My brother’s got an iPad, but was using my GPad a few weeks ago and mentioned how nice it was to use.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I have a smaller size Samsung Galaxy Tab S, which replaced my Nexus 7. Although I still don’t like the Samsung UI, the device is otherwise excellent – if you can pick one up cheap get that IMO.

boblo
    Free Member

P20 – Member
    So the 2nd gen nexus charges via the QI pad without modification?? That would prolong ours for a bit after it’s wobbly charge port issues

If that’s for me, yes, AIUI, NFC charging is standard for 2nd gen so I’ve ordered a QI charger. I’ve also ordered a new daughter board for the charging port. The vids makes it look pretty straightforward so that should extend its life.

Looks like the LG jobbie is unavailable.

The Samsung S2 8incher (oooerrrr) is looking favourite ATM. The S3 is just too many £££’s for my tastes.

P20

It was for anyone, but thanks for confirming boblo

P20

Qi charging pad thingy ordered

StirlingCrispin

If you’re doing email consider a Chromebook.
    (I know it’s not a tablet but stay with me….)

Good sized screen, excellent battery life and the keyboard makes it very useful for emails, forums etc. Has also outlasted all the tablets in this house.

If not, I’d go for an Amazon Fire because they’re cheap.

boblo
    Free Member

I use a PC for ‘serious’ emails and worky stuff and a tablet for trivial emails and Web/Internet.

P20

Update!
    I ordered this QI charger on ebay and it works!
    £5 and it’s prolonged the use of the Nexus. Way cheaper than replacing the charging board.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Replacement for Nexus 7?’ is closed to new replies.