Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Replacement for my Rab Microlite jacket
  • Premier Icon welshfarmer

So my Rab microlight jacket is just over 6 years old and showing its’ age. And now Mrs WF has decided it will make a great work jacket for her! Looks like it is replacement time. So insulated, lightweight , multi-functional jacket around the £150 mark? I could buy the same again, though I did find the cut a bit tight under the arms and the zips were crap and caused me a lot of bother, so not sure I would go for Rab again. Haglof and Montane have similar offerings in synthetic rather than down which may fit the bill. Mountain Equipment have a nice down jacket that is reduced to the same price point. And then there is the Arc’tyrex Atom LT which my local shop has on offer for £140. This is currently my front runner. So Rab, Haglof, Montane, Mountain Equipment or Arc’tyrex. All in the same ballpark price-wise, probably similar performance in reality? Any experiences or preferences that might make my decision easier?… Any other brands I should be considering?

Preference is for jacket without hood, though I would compromise and have a hooded jacket if that was the only offering.

Thanks for any input

Premier Icon ElShalimo

Also look at the Marmot Featherless kit. I’ve got the Avant vest and it’s incredibly warm for synthetic. It’s really impressive.

Premier Icon bikerevivesheffield

I’d replace mine with a Montane prism again, had one before and lost it, replaced with a Rab, the prism was better in every way

Premier Icon prettygreenparrot

The Patagonia nano puff might fit the bill. Alternatively, Alpkit’s Kanyo.

Premier Icon toomba
    Free Member

Montane prism, much better than my Rab

Premier Icon sofaboy73
    Free Member

I’d very much second the Patagonia nano puff. I’m a bit of a jacket magpie and out of the many different insulated jackets I own the nano puff is the one that gets used most in the widest variety of situations – from out on the hills to down the pub.

I’ve got a prism as well but prefer the Patagonia as it’s warmer (60 gsm of primaloft gold vs 40 gsm of primaloft silver in the prism) but I also find it breathes better when your working harder. The prism is great when your out on the hills generating heat but its cold enough to want some insulation, but it’s not warm enough for me for day to day mooching around duties. I also find that it breathes poorly if you put under a hard shell in bad weather – stays warm but fully wets out with sweat.

ultimately both jackets with very similar intended uses – insulated mid layer for the worst weather or additional warmth that’s not too warm when your working harder, however i find the nano puff just does it a bit better. i also like that you can have it without a hood. given the price difference between the two isn’t a big as it used to be either if you shop around

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

I have the Montane Icarus which is great. Looks very smart in the orange colour.

The also do the Icarus stretch which is a bit lighter and closer fitting – probably a better choice if you want more of a midlayer than an outer layer.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have a look at Mountain kit WF – Montanes discount site. I’ve had a few bargains off there, good folk to deal with too.

Premier Icon mildred
    Free Member

Montane or Buffalo smock fit your bill, and remain warmer in damp/wet weather.

I don’t understand the love for Montane Prizm. I’ve had two and though the 1st lasted well and still remains wearable, the 2nd is not anywhere near as well made nor has it lasted very well. Average at best.

I’ve also got a reboot/reissue Rab Kinder smock which is lasting well, though it doesn’t cope with wet weather that well.

The jacket I own that has lasted best is my Montane Smock. A bit thicker and bulkier than Buffalo but a slightly better fit for active wear.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

@welshfarmer – did you find anything to suit?

I was thinking earlier, if it’s for an outer layer and if warmth the most important thing, then the Keela Belay is great cheap coat – max warmth per £

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/1120-Keela-Belay-Pro-Jacket-Black/

On the other hand, I bought my Mum a Haglofs Sarna recently. It’s ideal as a mid-layer or an outer layer when it’s not ridiculously cold. No hood so might suit

https://tinyurl.com/yxpqdenv

Premier Icon welshfarmer

Cheers ElShalimo and everyone else who has replied to this thread. Great advice as usual. Big problem is of course not being able to walk into a store and try any of them on! I am also keen to support my local shop (Trekkit) which is still owned and run by 2 brothers that I was in venture scouts with when their dad opened the first Trekkit shop in Abergavenny! Unfortunately they don’t stock some of the brands recommended above. To be fair I wore that old Rab jacket 365 days of the year regardless of the task in hand. Very rarely as anything other than an outer jacket. So over several layers in winter and over a t-shirt on cool summer evenings. Anyway, I have taken on board all the comments here and will continue my research and hope to make a decision soon.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

Trekitt are great and always available to help over the phone if you can’t visit.

Premier Icon mrl

A few good deals on sport pursuit of you fancy online. Agree with local if you can but right now it is not possible sadly.

Premier Icon dropoff

I’ve recently bought a Musto primaloft jacket after having a conscience issue about using down and its brilliant. Very light warm wet or dry and just chuck it in the tumble dryer when needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.