Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Replacement for a Hightower V1 frame?
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

Bought my hightower v1 in 2019 in the sale and its been a frankly superb bike. But the constant hype around LLS is really niggling away in my mind as i ride bigger stuff (Stiniog etc).

I’ve got 150mm forks on so the HA is 66.5 with a reach of 450 in L (im a shade under 6ft).

Would i really notice much of a difference if i swapped to something 20mm longer and 2deg slacker?? Is it that big a deal?

I can access our C2W scheme but it has a cap at £3k so thinking a frame swap may be on the cards. I like the SCs lively feel so don’t want anything too porky or enduro. Anything out there i should consider?

joebristol

It definitely is noticeable – 20mm and a few degrees slacker on the headangle will make it more stable. You’ll also probably find you get a steeper and shorter seattube so will have a better pedalling position on steep uphills and be able to run a longer dropper.

I guess you’re in that longer travel trail bike / enduro light sort of area. A few ideas:

New Hightower
    Transition Sentinel (what I got in December – it’s ace – can’t believe how good it is)
    Privateer 141
    Ibis Ripmo
    Cotic Jeht

Or there’s that category slightly below with a bit less travel but still decent aggro geometry

Bird Aether 9
    Nukeproof Reactor
    Norco Optic
    Cotic Flaremax

Blackflag
    Free Member

Did you get the Sentinel alu or carbon? That does look like a good option.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pimpingimp
    Free Member

I loved my Hightower LT but it was too small (I mean properly too small, not that the geometry was wrong) because I bought the wrong size. The Aether 7 that replaced it a few years later is every bit as fun, active and poppy – presume the A9 is similar so I could totally recommend one of those.

The Hightower was a lot lighter mind, or at least it felt it, and I don’t think the Aether carbon is particularly light even so if you’re going like for like then it might not suit.

chakaping
    Free Member

Would i really notice much of a difference if i swapped to something 20mm longer and 2deg slacker?? Is it that big a deal?

Yeah you would.

But what’s the range of riding you need to cover?

joebristol

@blackflag

I got the sentinel alloy with the Fox float shock. It’s ‘robust’ as frames go. I thought it was about 34lbs fully built but actually I’ve just put a coil shock on it and weighed it and it’s 33.5lbs.

That’s with Lyriks / Codes / Xm481 rims on Hope rear and Bitex front hubs / butcher grid 2.3 front and exo dhr2 2.3 rear tyres) / XT 12 speed plus Sram carbon cranks / carbon bars / oneup dropper. I’m 5’9 on a medium and can fit the full 210mm dropper in with ease.

grantyboy
    Free Member

how about an angleset in the interim???

benos

I’ve just put a coil shock on it and weighed it and it’s 33.5lbs

This makes me wonder if my scales are accurate if my 9c with Pike/Deluxe Select & XMC1501 is 30.5lb 😂

nt80085

I went from a hightower v1 size large 150mm forks to a tallboy v4 XL 130mm forks, im 6′, the bike is amazingly capable even with reduced travel, the slacker front end but steeper seat tube makes all the difference. The extra length of the XL makes it even more stable and with a 35mm stem keeps steering quick. You really feel in the bike as opposed to be on it. Always felt the HT v1 wanted to throw me forward a bit.

Tallboy cc frame, dt swiss xm1501 25mm rim wheelset, xr4 tyres weighs in at 13.35kg on my cheapo luggage scales.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve got 150mm forks on so the HA is 66.5 with a reach of 450 in L (im a shade under 6ft).

470mm wouldn’t really be long…

My 140F/130R is nearer 490mm and 63 HA – and yes you would notice, especially in ‘difficult’ terrain.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies so far. If i did swap the frame for something around 64 deg HA would my current forks with 51mm offset/rake be an issue?

Fat-boy-fat

Currently considering a similar leap but from longer ago (mk2 5010 and mk1 Bronson to either a Tallboy or Hightower). Compared to “old” 650b bikes, is the climbing ability compromised with the shock orientation changing and the longer, lower, slacker thing? A lot of my riding involves winching up very steep ups to get to nice downs and I’d be properly annoyed if the front end of a new bike “wandered” when climbing.

I get that the seat tube angle is getting more steep again (which can only be a good thing as I have always had to buy too small bikes before resulting in me sitting almost over the rear axle on some bikes) but surely the slack head angle counteracts that.

I’d like to test ride XXL versions of both bikes but that seems about as rare as rocking horse poo at the moment.

chakaping
    Free Member

If i did swap the frame for something around 64 deg HA would my current forks with 51mm offset/rake be an issue?

I prefer shorter offset forks, but it’s a marginal difference in handling. You won’t die.

You mention C2W and a £3k limit, I don’t know if it’s possible to get Canyon on C2W – but this might be spot on for your needs…
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/spectral/29/spectral-29-al-6/3185.html?dwvar_3185_pv_rahmenfarbe=OG

oikeith

I went from a hightower v1 size large 150mm forks to a tallboy v4 XL 130mm forks, im 6′, the bike is amazingly capable even with reduced travel, the slacker front end but steeper seat tube makes all the difference. The extra length of the XL makes it even more stable and with a 35mm stem keeps steering quick. You really feel in the bike as opposed to be on it. Always felt the HT v1 wanted to throw me forward a bit.

I went from a large Spesh Enduro to a S5 Spesh Enduro (Essentially a XL) and this is exactly how I felt, more in the bike then on it and get far less being chucked over the front or peeled off the back now!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.