Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Replacement bearings for Hope XC hubs
  • IHN

The rear's are on their way out (after seven years!). Are there 'good' replacement ones that I should look out for?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

So, Fred, sorry, Elf, which of thopse on that page are the ones I should use? I know they're all the same size, so what's the difference?

funkynick

martyc… they are the wrong size, the OP is after bearings for an XC hub! But the second set is correct, and expensive!

IHN… any of those on that page will be fine. You may find them cheaper at a local bearing supplier though. You just need 6001 2RS bearings… they are a standard size.

IHN

Cheers Nick.

Are SKF 'better'?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well stainless ones are going to be corrosion proof, of course, and possibly slightly harder steel or sumfink, but the 'budget' ones, at that price, are probably fine really. I suspect the originals are just basic ones from what I've seen in Hope hubs. My XC rear hub is 6 years old and still has the originals and they're perfect.

You could get ceramic ones in that size but I think they're like £50 per bearing or something daft.

Don't bother with owt from a 'bike parts' place. They'll charge double or more. Rip off bastards.

uplink
    Free Member
    funkynick

Well yes, SKF are generally thought of as being one of the better bearing manufacturers, but am not sure there is a great deal in it at that end of the market between SKF and the budget ones on that page.

As Elf says, am not sure that Hope would use anything but the basic ones, and mine are lasting just fine. I have about 4 sets of XC hubs and I think I have changed 2 bearings in all the time I have had those…

IHN

Smashing. Cheers chaps.

uplink
    Free Member

The last Hope packaged ones I got were FAG – which is another well regarded manufacturer

clubber
    Free Member

Well stainless ones are going to be more corrosion proof[b]resistant[/b]

Fixed it 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

SKF – Air max Jordan 50-cent limited editions '95

FAG, INA etc – Converse All stars

Budget – M&S training shoes

Just bought some hideously expensive SKF's for my BB to see how long they last.

nickc

I've changed mine from the original Hope installed ones after 5 or so years, when they last that long, it doesn't matter really.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

got a set of 10 for a tenner from these guys

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/xtremesportandleisure-uk

i can't imagine that top name bearings will last as many times as long as their extra cost would require (given the originals lasted years).

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Speak to Cheltenham Cycles – they've got all the spares.

DaveGr
    Free Member

That xtremesportandleisure seller on Ebay seems far to cheap !!!! Ten * stainless steel for £18.50 delivered 😯

Andy

Elf, PM me. I have a bag of Hope bearings in the garage for an XC hub.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Top man! 😀

Are they ceramic? Ooh I do hope(!) they're ceramic….

(Toddles off to discover what goodies Andy has for him…)

nbt

Munqe-chick – Member

got a set of 10 for a tenner from these guys

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/xtremesportandleisure-uk

i can't imagine that top name bearings will last as many times as long as their extra cost would require (given the originals lasted years).

I got a set of 10 off ebay for a tenner or so. I reasoned that even if they lasted half as long, as ten cost me less than 3 "full price" then I'd be quids in.

The set in the rear hub lasted about three weeks before they collapsed. The inner ring was stuck on the axle and the outer race was stuck at the bottom of the freehub. Cost me a damn sight more to replace them than I saved. I go to the same local bearing supplier that my bike shop use now, costs me about a fiver per bearing I think, but they last so long I'm not sure as it's a few years since I've had to change any…

Andy

What make of bearing are you buying for a fiver nbt?

nbt

ermmm – dunno, off hand. They're in the toolkit at home. Maybe SKF? they some in a plastic blister package. Might have been more than a fiver, as I said it's three or four years since I last had to buy any, but I'm pretty sure it was about £20 for a rear wheel's worth.

rickvalentine
    Free Member

Ermm, of the top of my head in not too sure, You Should try R&M Bearings in Scotland, they have everything needed in the way on bearings. http://www.rmbearings.co.uk

foxyrider
    Free Member

TBH – buy cheap buy twice for most things 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Replacement bearings for Hope XC hubs’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts