• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Replace hope BB bearings or buy 3xXT bottom brackets?
  • iain1775
    Free Member

At over £15 each for Hope bottom bracket bearings (which I believe are a bespoke size so not available from usual cheap bearing supply channels) I could get 3 brand new XT level bottom brackets (or save 2/3rds)
    It’s the ‘spare’ bike but it’s not going anywhere soon, ‘bling’ isn’t as important on it anymore like it once was
    The Hope bearings do last but not sure they last 3x the level of others when not used that often anyway

Which to go for?

creamegg
    Free Member

Live on the wild side and flip a coin?

chiefgrooveguru

What is your time changing them worth to you? How much do you care about throwing stuff away?

iain1775
    Free Member

Same time to swop a whole BB than bearings
    The bearings would get thrown away either option

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I get a really long life from my Hope BB’s so I’d go with swapping the bearings.

chiefgrooveguru

Same time to swop a whole BB than bearings
    The bearings would get thrown away either option

Missing the point! I’ve found Hope BB bearings last ages (over 4000 miles in all weathers on my hardtail and still fine). I’d expect to have to change a Shimano BB a few times by the time the Hope goes, so that’s extra servicing time. The last Shimano BB (SLX) I had managed about 500 miles of the same riding.

Each time you replace a BB you’re throwing stuff away. If you replace the cups too then you’re throwing more stuff away.

Same questions again?

teethgrinder

Gusset EXT24.

transporter13
    Free Member

Hope bb bearings are 24377 iirc… wychbearings.co.uk are who i use And are about £5each

damascus
    Free Member

I find that if you use the shimano BB all the time they last. It’s when it sits and rusts in place so if it’s on a 2nd bike I’d go hope.

I’ve got ceramic bearings on mine. From time to time I pop them out, degrease them and add a bit of grease and put them back. Done around 6 years on my main bike and well over 10000 miles.

The only problem I have is the plastic seal covers seem to loose their tight fit but they are only a couple of quid from my lbs.

Also make sure you don’t over tighten it. They are not designed to have a side load.

roverpig

Apologies if you’ve checked this already, but are you sure that the bearings have really gone. I thought the ones on my Hope BB were shot (even bought some new ones and the tool to fit them). Then I saw the Hope video about cleaning out the crap that can get under the seal. Turns out this was all that was needed

https://youtu.be/UAqAanDsAKA

iain1775
    Free Member

Same questions again?

It would be lucky of it got ridden 500 miles in the next 2/3 years, it’s not my every day go to bike
    I think I can live with throwing away a couple of BB cups once every 2/3 years
    Gone XT
    Anyone want to buy a Hope BB, with slightly worn bearings? 🙂

jeffl

I had one of those gusset BB’s in June last year, after hearing good things on here. Went to change the bearings last week only to find the top hat had eaten itself and separated at the shoulder. Not covered under warranty. So gone back to shimano. Cost me £21 for two.

The gusset was good, whilst it worked.

JohnnyPanic

I might. Is there play or just roughness?

iain1775
    Free Member

Just rough Steve, will strip it down this week and let you know

ajt123
    Free Member

Depends whether the hope really does last 3x as long.

If you have to change the bearings, albeit leave cups in place could well be as much faff.

Personally I hate maintenance- find it really stressful and worry about busting stuff because cack-handed.

Anything like the nightmare I’ve had with my BB the past 36 hours makes me think better to pony-up for fit and forget when truly fit and forget.

tillydog
    Free Member

Hope bb bearings are 24377 iirc… wychbearings.co.uk are who i use And are about £5each

I can see the plain steel ones for that price, but aren’t the Hope ones stainless?

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but there seems to be a disconnect between people buying Hope BBs because they last longer than most, and complaints that the replacement bearings are expensive. The two things might be linked…

iain1775
    Free Member

I bought mine because it was red 😉

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Can you really buy an XT level BB for a tenner these days ?

jeffl

Yep CRC

iain1775
    Free Member

Or Merlin or Ribble
    All £10.50

Daffy

I faced the same dilemma and bought a second hand CK bottom bracket instead. That was 2 years ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Replace hope BB bearings or buy 3xXT bottom brackets?’ is closed to new replies.