Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • repairing tyre punctures near the bead
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

seem to be going through a phase of ruining tyres with tiny little cuts right near the bead on the rear wheel. done it on both bikes recently and the latest being a pin hole puncture on a DD casing.

clearly i’ve put on a bit more timber than i thought and need to up my air pressures. however as i’t now getting a bit spendy, any way of repairing them? i normally take the view that if they are that close to the bead you’re never going to get a good repair for tubeless, but perhaps i’m missing something – any ideas before i shell out for yet another tyre?

would tyre inserts help with this and allow lower air pressures without trashing tyres?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

obligatory and possibly superfluous bump for visibility

1timmy1

You could try tubeless patches, they fixed a hole I had near the bead on my last tyre.

Yes inserts might help as it sounds you might be pinch flatting the tyre. Or more tyre pressure.

BearBack
    Free Member

Anchovies/bacon strips work just fine ime.
    I’ve several tires like this that have survived from a 1st ride pinch to tread is now worn out with a bead plug.

welshfarmer

^^^ yep. Have had great success with anchovies in that location. I think patches would be under too much flex to remain effective. I now tend to run a simple insert to help prevent this type of puncture with some success.

Tracey

Still running a couple like that, repaired with a mushroom plug from the inside and trimmed to the edge of the bead with a stich cutter.
    No problems running tubeless with them

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I’ve gone old school. Tyre worms are too expensive and dont really work well on linear punctures.

worked fine on two EXO+ Assguys and a DD high roller

rubber cement

patches

jimmy748

I’ve used internal mushroom patches on the bead and trimmed the patch and external part of the mushroom, which ended up sitting on the rim wall, went straight up and sealed fine.

andycs

As above, patch inside then I used super glue on the outside. Looks a bit crap where glue dries but seals up a treat.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve generally had success with anchovies, but I have to say that’s a neat job Jimmy.

More importantly though, I’ve stopped getting them now that I’ve put inserts in all my rear tyres.

Assuming you haven’t done that OP, I’d recommend it. Rimpact Pro are good.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

thanks all, will dig out some patches and give it a whirl with and extra layer f shoe-goo for good measure

@jimmy748
    and @Tracey – those mushroom patches, are they just standard motor bike ones? are they self adhesive or do you need glue or any special tools to use them? any particular brand to look out for or just whatever relevant size on amazon?

alpin
    Free Member

puncture on a DD casing.

Had this a couple of times using DD casing.

Tracey

Glue them on, various sizes on Ebay, our most used size is 3mm. Got a big tin of vulcanising glue rather than mess about with the little tubes. Once the metal end is inserted I pull through with a pair of pliers to ensure a good seal

jimmy748

I think mine were advertised as 4mm, and I use TipTop SC-BL cement (the blue really strong stuff)

james
    Free Member

Ordinary patches you’ll struggle with the orange band all the way round that could interfere with tyre seating, unsticking and being too close to the cut itself

Weldtite do ‘edgeless’ patch strips that you cut to whatever size. More flexible and seem to stick better than most patches. Only need a couple of inches square if that. Have run them for ages with no problems across various tyres
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254714183712?hash=item3b4e260020:g:M74AAOSwDjlfWO8f

intheborders
    Free Member

How narrow/wide are your rims?

Northwind

If there’s space for a mushroom, then I use a mushroom. But if it’s right at the bead then a standard vulcanised patch. Not a self-adhesive one, a proper one.

reeksy

I’ve just recently fixed one with a dynaplug having first read this: https://chainslapmag.com/2017/02/plugged-dynaplug-tyre-repair-system/

tabletop2

I was struggling to fix a pin hole on the bead with anchovies. Until I stopped trying to use the small anchovies and crammed a big fat one in. That worked instantly,

Now it doesn’t matter how small the hole is I will allways just put a big plug in the work so much better

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.