• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by cp.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Repairing tyre gashes on tyres – tubeless content
  • cp

Newbie to tubeless tyres, and despite best efforts, the sealant hasn’t been succedful in a long-term seal in a sidewall gash. How do folk repair them? Does an inner tube patch on the inside of the tyre work with vulcanizing solution in the same way as an inner tube?

mboy
    Free Member

Proper Tubeless Tyre patch kit is required… Bit heavier duty and bigger patches than a normal tube patch kit.

Something like this for instance…

Reminds me, I need to order one for myself given the screw I had embedded in my tyre at the weekend!

el_boufador

Stick old inner tube over internally with contact adhesive (thicker the inner tube the better). Then to prevent bulging use a sewing kit to stitch the gash and reinforce the tube.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Stick old inner tube over internally with contact adhesive (thicker the inner tube the better). Then to prevent bulging use a sewing kit to stitch the gash and reinforce the tube.

+1 this is what I did to mine and it seems* to be holding up fine. Although I used dental floss as thread, remember someone recommend this instead of cotton due to it being stronger.
    * I now await the kiss of death when I’m miles away from civilisation *

Bolt

Have repaired quite a few successfully by using the sidewall cut from an old tyre for the patch, stuck with normal tube glue.

Bolt

P.s stuck on the inside!

lornholio
    Free Member

I fixed a 5mm cut on the top surface of my tyre (not sidewall). Normal tube patch on the inside, then Seam Grip over the edges of the patch, then Gorilla super glue in the cut on the outside of the tyre. No issues since.

cp

Well the park website recommends bog standard patches and vulcanizing solution, so I’ll try that first 🙂

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/tubeless-tire-mounting-and-repair

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Repairing tyre gashes on tyres – tubeless content’ is closed to new replies.