Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Repairing road tubeless tyres
  • damascus
    Free Member

My schwalbe one tyre punctured last week. Although the orange sealant sealed it at about 30 psi it would blow out when I put more air in.

When I got home I sanded the inside down and stuck a patch in it. Blew it back up and it held air. The hole was actually very small and I even struggled to find it.

Half way round my ride it blew again. When I checked it the patch had a small hole in it. Obviously the patch idea works but at high psi it doesn’t.

What are you using to repair road tubeless tyres? Are there any stronger patches I could use?

I’ve currently got a tube in it and I don’t want to give up on tubeless.

The jury is still out on road tubeless for me. When it works its great.

Has anyone had any better results using glitter in the sealant?

Thanks

scaredypants

When I checked it the patch had a small hole in it

That’s either outrageously bad luck / coincidental or there’s something in the tyre still
    (or you’re using 10,000 psi to force a glued-on patch through the carcass until it pops 😀 )

I’d re-patch it after supergluing the orignal hole (dig out any glass/flint first) – should be fine (could press on the patch by putting in an innertube overnight but if you’ve cleaned & applied it right should be no need)

chum3
    Free Member

+1 for wot scaredypants said…

I’ve used tube patches to fix road tubeless tyres without problems – some decent size holes too (4mm ish). I use the more chunky patches that are 1-2mm thick.

damascus
    Free Member

I couldnt see anything in the hole when I checked. I’ll double check.

It’s not even a big hole.

25mm and I’ve always run 90 to 100 psi

reggiegasket
    Free Member

did you use a normal innertube patch or a tubeless patch?

damascus
    Free Member

A normal patch. I’m now off to Google tubeless patch

damascus
    Free Member
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

I use the Weldtite one, but it’s probably the same. They are tougher than a tube patch, and glue is more like ‘cement’.

scaredypants

FWIW I’ve only ever used normal patches

(and your “failure” was re-holed, not adhesive failure or anything that a “special tubeless” one might address)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The tubeless glue is superglue (cyanoacrylate). On which note, I found I could glue MTB tyres back together with superglue if sealant didn’t fix the holes, no idea if that would work on a road tyre but might be worth a try.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve always struggled to fix tubeless road. The inside of road tyres are textured and the super glue stuff is too runny/watery. I suppose it depends on decent preparation, but I’ve never been able to get the patch to hold, even having sanded the inside of the tyre at the puncture site – unless I wanted to also glue my fingers to the arrangement too 😳

charlierevell
    Free Member
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

the weldtite tubeless glue isn’t like superglue. Well, it doesn’t look anything like it at any rate. It’s more like araldite consistency, and blue.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Repairing road tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.