Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • repairing/filling interface between walls & floor in old garage
  • zilog6128

We have an old (predates house!) detached garage which I’m currently converting into a workshop/mancave. Got some PVC floor tiles to lay down but think I need to sort out where the walls meet the floor first!

There clearly used to be some kind of mortar or something here but it’s pretty much all gone, the crack is between about 0.5-1.5 inches all the way round. Is this something I need to worry about, or can I just get some kind of product from Screwfix (sealant or something?) and just whiz round and fill the gap? If so what?

(Yes need to clean up all the dead spiders & cobwebs and probably paint the wall at some point too 😃)

duncancallum

Internal or external?

I’d rake it out and if external point it with a chamfer on it.

Internal I’d still point it but just flat n flush

zilog6128

@duncancallum yes internal.

Internal I’d still point it but just flat n flush

you may have to explain in less “buildery” terms 🤣

Use something like this, applied with a trowel, to fill in the gap & form an internal right angle?
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-mortar-repair-dark-grey-310ml/806JP?tc=GB4&ds_kid=92700058024393120&ds_rl=1249407&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9veWwsmH7wIVAeztCh2TfA95EAQYASABEgL9kPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

zilog6128

would an internal corner trowel like this be the right thing to use?
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/ragni-internal-corner-trowel-4/670fv

nickjb
    Free Member

Looks like there might be a damp proof course there. You don’t want to bridge across that ideally. I’d just clean out the loose bits, push some mortar in (or that ready mix stuff, never tried it though), then smooth it back with a pointing trowel or a gloved finger. No need to fill the whole corner. Basically you are just trying to replace that bottom 10mm or so with new mortar.

Although tbh it’s not going anywhere. If it isn’t letting water in you can probably ignore it for another 10 years. Seen far worse still standing.

zilog6128

@nickjb so basically just try to repair the wall a bit rather than re-join it to the floor? i.e. use a regular shaped trowel rather than the right angled one? (or just leave it lol) No it’s not letting in any water as far as I can see!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘repairing/filling interface between walls & floor in old garage’ is closed to new replies.