• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Repairing (Altura) chamois
  • jimmy

*someone* put my Altura night vision tights through a 60c wash and the chamois pad has separated into 2 layers. It looks like the kind of iron-on glue you’d use for your 80’s school trousers turn-ups. Has anyone done this before or know what “glue” is best to use?

BadlyWiredDog

Lamination and bonding in clothing is just a heat-activated adhesive, so you’re pretty much right. You could dry some Wundaweb – yes, the stuff used for turning up trousers and similar – or there’s a powder form heat-activated adhesive called Supermend that you could try. I’ve used the latter for some basic patching and it works pretty well ime.

I’ve never tried fixing a delaminated chamois, but I suspect the main issue will be getting enough heat to the adhesive without damaging the fabrics. I’d start with a low temperature, follow the instructions – bear in mind that the temp settings on your iron may be wrong – and do some practice runs first on scraps of fabric. Use some cotton rag to stop the iron directly contacting the material of the tights/chamois and melting it.

Esme
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll be able to fix the pad. How about carefully removing it, and using the tights with some new undershorts?

eg Endura short liner

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Repairing (Altura) chamois’ is closed to new replies.