Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Repairing a tubeless tyre
  • mcboo
    Free Member

I slashed a tubeless ready Rocket Ron at the weekend, only a few mm across, at the base of a knobble near the edge. Have patched it and put a tube in. Is there any way to repair the actual hole? I tried my luck putting sealant in again but the patch just came off and the hole is just too big to seal with sealant.. Anything else to try?

captaindanger

Yes weldtite tubeless repair kit, around £5 from crc, I used it to repair a nail hole, worked a treat

mcboo
    Free Member

Ah cool will give it a try thanks

nosedive
    Free Member

hope it works for you, I couldnt get it to work, maybe not patient enough. all my damaged tyres ended up in the bin

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve used these with good effect before. Perfect for holes that are just that bit too big for the sealant to seal. Easy to repair from the outside, too. No good on anything more than 4-5mm..

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genuine-innovations/tubeless-tyre-repair-kit-ec028981#reviews

DrP

I’ve repaired a few 1cm long slashes in my tyres using patches cut from an old road tyre sidewall, and some über strong contact adhesive….

Still holding fast!

DrP

jedi

the weldtite kit is the nuts. brilliant bit of kit

messiah
    Free Member

If it’s really bad put a couple of stitches in it but otherwise a big lump of this on the back works for me… and with really bad ones I’ve doubled or trippled up the thickness and size to cover and reinforce large areas of tyre.

MadPierre

Another vote for Weldtite kit. Carry it with you and you can fix on the trail without even removing the tyre!

mattjg
    Free Member

Bit of old inner tube and some superglue. W4M.

Kahurangi

The Wledtite gluey-string kit has worked for me. For bigger slashes I would try one of those kits that look like oversized tube patches that you glue on.

mcboo
    Free Member

Thanks all..Messiah will that patch hold even when I pour in sealant?

Superglue and a bit of rubber I did think about too……

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Usually just use a normal inner tube patch on the inside of the tyre. You need to sandpaper the inside of the tyre fairly carefully to get a good bond.

Silicon sealant to fill the hole on the outside if necessary. Superglue dries hard so tends to just crack off IME.

mcboo
    Free Member

Jon…..you find that the patch stays on once you put in sealant? Am going to get one of those repair kits to carry on the trail but think the slash I have might be a bit too long for that, will need a patch of some kind.

messiah
    Free Member

Messiah will that patch hold even when I pour in sealant?

Take your time and make sure the vulcanising solution is good and dry before your remount the tyre and put in the sealant.

mcboo
    Free Member

And do you guys go equipped for all eventualities (tube, tyre repair kit, pump, co2 etc) or do you find you really do get a lot less punctures and therefore wing it with less kit? Big days out will stick everything in a pack but on most rides I’m using bottles and pockets so less is better.

mcboo
    Free Member

Weldtite kit was a winner btw…….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Repairing a tubeless tyre’ is closed to new replies.