Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Repairable or an ex-frame?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

maccruiskeen can you post up a photo of the crack, let us have a look at it.

It’s all very well saying that frames should be replaced, but what if the OP can’t afford a new one?

As for me and my mates I’ve just spent 5 years buying and selling MTB frames, about 850 in all. I also service frames and full bikes as well as all the custom resprays I’ve done.

I know a good bit about frames from hands on experience, no I haven’t done a hundred years of reasearch 😯 . I have however come across a lot of cracks in frames and seen a lot of cracked frames ridden.

The chances of that frame snapping in two or the head tube sheering off are slim. The crack only effects about 20% of the top tube and none of the down tube.

I would think that you could ride it 8) but if it snapped in two it would be messy 😛 and I for one would be looking for a new frame 😀

Feel free to disagree, argue amongst yourselves, insult, or ramble on about nothing.

Below I have demonstrated the evolution of facial expressions from unhappy to happy, research that took me 100 seconds, enjoy!
    🙁 😳 😮 😀

hora
    Free Member

After every accident where I have hurt myself I’ve always said given the choice I wish I smashed or broke the frame/forks instead of me.

Rather loose money than my health.

I think thats your answer OP. Fix and chance or just stick it in the garage. It wont pay your mortgage if you fall off.

infidel
    Free Member

The crack only effects about 20% of the top tube and none of the down tube.

Sorry to be a pedant but it’s ‘affect’ not ‘effect’.

Standards please. Really…..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Looks like Kaesae’s going to keep digging that hole then….

There’s no way I’d keep riding that frame, matter of time before it fails, only question is how much time?

I don’t think he’s ever said otherwise, right from his first post he was saying ‘keep an eye on it’ and ‘it could get messy’
    Kaeses’s advice is sound. It’s just that some people can argue with their own shadows if they want to!

cynic-al
    Free Member

What my esteemed pal PP said.

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t think he’s ever said otherwise, right from his first post he was saying ‘keep an eye on it’ and ‘it could get messy’
    Kaeses’s advice is sound. It’s just that some people can argue with their own shadows if they want to!

Well despite what other things he said which are fine by me, he still planted (and reinforced above) the idea that it probably will not snap which I think is a dangerous thing to say to the OP who obviously wasn’t sure.I saw all of the rest of Kaesaes post and it was all perfectly safe and sound advice, apart from the statement that

Chances of it cracking in two are slim

which is why I only quoted that bit.

Sometimes people only hear what they want to hear, so they might have ignored the good bits of Kasaes advice and only acted on the bad bits. So imagine if the OP said “sod it well I’m just going to ride this because Kaesae with all his experience as a bike mechanic said it probably won’t snap” and then it went tits up. Well I chimed in to point out why that isn’t good advice, and why saying that when you don’t know anything about fatigue cracks, how they form, grow and ultimately fail is a dumb and dangerous thing to do.

TBH ever since all he has done is dug his own hole, you and yer bum chum Cynical Al can jump in too if you like.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

he still planted the idea that it probably will not snap

It probably won’t. I’d agree. As it is, it’s fine. I’d ride it, but I’d keep a careful eye on it as he suggests, and I’m only an XC rider, not a freerider/coach like Jedi. If I was JEDI, I wouldn’t ride it. Horses for courses….

I was riding this, albit unknowingly:

That’s a driveside chainstay, and that’s the only bit of metal holding it together you can see there….

IMG_5525 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

OK, alloy is different, but I reckon some people are too precious about stuff like this. Ride it until it’s dead I say! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Literally PP? For the sake of a say £200 for a different secondhand frame?

meesterbond

It’s an Intense Spider FRO – having done a bit of research, apparently the frame comes with a max rider weight of 180lbs.. fully laiden I reckon I’d be about 190-200lbs so was probably pushing it. That said, it was two very light rides (once round the park to set it up and once round Swinley) and one slightly tougher in the snow at Whinlatter at the weekend – no crashes though and I don’t think the wheels left the ground except to put it back on the car.

I value my teeth enough to retire this one and put it down to experience. Anyone want to buy a lightly used Fox RP23!

Might drop Intense a note and see if they do anything like the Turner new for old scheme?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey toys19 rough night was it?

I’d say you are digging a hole just as big as Kaesae, who I am usually dishing out some well deserved pwn-age to (along with PP, yourself, and many others).

toys19
    Free Member

Well there is a bit of difference in terms of how they fail. Typically the final bit between passing the elastic limit and total failure in steels is quite large – ie they can absorb a lot of energy and your pic above shows this. But that chainstay was still going to fail sooner or later (this is why steels are used for damage tolerant structures) . A good measure of this is what’s called fracture toughness – for something like 4130 steels it varies between 50 MPa m-1/2 to, in heat treated condition, 230 MPa m-1/2 whereas in 6061 t6 its never going to be much better than about 30 MPa m-1/2. (Bigger is better)

PS – Al it makes more sense to shout at Kaesae rather than my friends or family, isn’t this why we come onto forums? Anyway I don’t really need to defend myself, I’m not trying to be “right”. I am RIGHT. I’m not trying to pwn anyone, I just didn’t want the OP to think it was a good idea to ride it. Given his responses he has taken the safe route. Happy Days.

j_me
    Free Member

probably just pining for the fjords.

kaesae
    Free Member

toys19 yet again you alter what was said to fit your own argument, you are not correct or accurate, you only believe that you are right. I did not say that the frame would not snap, I said that the chances of it snapping in two where slim.

I also asked if the frame was an Intense, long before the OP confirmed that it was.

I would also be looking for a new frame, is it an intense?

I have seen quite a few cracks on Intense frames in that same possition and other possitions and they have been fine to ride. I would not ride them and I would not advise people to ride them, however if they did the chances of the frames cracking would be slim.

Yes you will no doubt have a lot of big words that will impress certain individuals, but most people will look at what I said and see that it makes sense.

You could ride the frame as it is and the chances of it cracking in two are slim, however if it does the outcome could be messy, I would be looking for a new frame.

One last thing toys19 buggy, dummy, out! 18 toys left!

cynic-al
    Free Member

PS – Al it makes more sense to shout at Kaesae rather than my friends or family, isn’t this why we come onto forums?

😛

toys19
    Free Member

Making a lame joke about my user name doesn’t make you any less of a pillock. I repeat my advice, go to college, you seem persistent, if you could channel that into some study you might make a decent engineer.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

As for me and my mates I’ve just spent 5 years buying and selling MTB frames, about 850 in all. I also service frames and full bikes as well as all the custom resprays I’ve done.

I know a good bit about frames from hands on experience, no I haven’t done a hundred years of reasearch . I have however come across a lot of cracks in frames and seen a lot of cracked frames ridden.

Makes you sound like a second hand car dealer selling cut & shut cars. “Sold plenty, never had a complaint yet….” Just because it is done, doesn’t mean it is right.

kaesae
    Free Member

Now! now!! wouldn’t want to have any less toys to play with. Where’s my rattle, AAHH buggy, rattle, out!

kaesae
    Free Member

missingfrontallobe – Member

I know a good bit about frames from hands on experience, no I haven’t done a hundred years of reasearch . I have however come across a lot of cracks in frames and seen a lot of cracked frames ridden.

Makes you sound like a second hand car dealer selling cut & shut cars. “Sold plenty, never had a complaint yet….” Just because it is done, doesn’t mean it is right.

We’re talking about cars now are we, let’s not stick to bikes that would get confusing. If I service a bike and it works, then I know what I’m talking about. If I service one and it doesn’t then I don’t.

I happen to have a good amount of experience with the Intense frames, How much do you have and try to stay on topic and not too let your imagination run away with you!

Trimix
    Free Member

Stop arguing you two, instead, take the bike to the top of Cwn Carn and ride the DH course, that will sort out who is right and wrong.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

I’m with toys – seeing a small crack like that on a guys bike who “just rode it anyway” (albeit over a decent sized jump on a bmx track) and then seeing the front end snap off – and then seeing the nick of his face shows how quickly a little crack can turn into a big snap.

Anyone whos says just to ride that is not the brightest. sorry.

kaesae
    Free Member

ChristoGinger can you offer any photographic or testimonial evidence to support your claims? Or collaborate that your story actually took place?

toys19
    Free Member

ChristoGinger can you offer any photographic or testimonial evidence to support your claims? Or collaborate that your story actually took place?

Can you?

So you are just calling ChristoGinger a liar then? Which is funny because no-one on here has questioned your experience, I just questioned the validity and meaning of extrapolating from that.

It seems that you are insinuating that this type of thing is rare?

635 bits of evidence on snapped frames here

kaesae
    Free Member

Yet again! toys19 you have taken what I have said and altered it to fit your argument, I have not at any point said that these incidents are rare!

I have however come across a lot of cracks in frames and seen a lot of cracked frames ridden.

I did not call anyone a liar, yet again your need to fabricate facts is a sign of your desperate need to be correct.

I am simply ensuring that scientific procedures are adhered too and that this does not become an exercise in name calling and childishness.

As for showing clips of riders doing nose dives on their bikes, panicking and pulling the front brake, yes I see how that could validate your argument 😯

You do not impress me toys19, your name calling is childish and dastardly and is simply a means to draw people’s attention away from your, week and poorly thought out arguments.

You are obviously getting desperate again and will resort to name calling again soon.

toys19
    Free Member

evidence to support your claims? Or collaborate corroborate that your story actually took place?

I think calling ChristoGingers experience

claims

and asking to

corroborate

that it took place amounts to calling him a liar.

As far as name calling goes: you’re an idiot and a fool.

kaesae
    Free Member

You see! exactly as I predicted, you cannot win with logic and reason or fair analysis so resort to character assasination instead.

toys19 – Member

evidence to support your claims? Or collaborate corroborate that your story actually took place?

I think calling ChristoGingers experience

claims
    and asking to
    corroborate
    that it took place amounts to calling him a liar.

As far as name calling goes: you’re an idiot and a fool.

Poor show old chap!

hillsplease

Is this the point on the forum where we gather in a circle around the protagonists and start chanting ‘fight, fight, fight’ and hope a dinner lady turns up to calm the baying mob?

Like most of the posters on here I’ve cracked a number of frames and stopped riding them. Having had one fail in a big way and walked away that was plenty for me. The OP has it right.

toys19
    Free Member

Kaesae I’m not trying to “win” anything, I’m merely being lazy and engaging in a bit of moron baiting and it’s currently providing much amusement.

toys19
    Free Member

Is this the point on the forum where we gather in a circle around the protagonists and start chanting ‘fight, fight, fight’ and hope a dinner lady turns up to calm the baying mob?

Nah I’d be cycling off on my uncracked frame and K would be lying on the floor bleeding after impaling himself with his own toptube.

kaesae
    Free Member

🙄

Trimix
    Free Member

You two need your own forum really.

walleater

Kaesae, are you a complete retard? I’ve personally seen head tubes snap off aluminium frames, and the frame in question is a For Racing Only frame from a manufacturer who always push the boundaries of lightness over over arguably more important factors. Of course it’s going to snap in two some time in the future! I can’t believe people are even arguing over this.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

well kaesee, I wish, wouldve made a fortune on youve been framed.

I saw the crack in his frame – admittedly with my own eyes.
    I saw him jump the bike and land o.k – then the front end of his bike came away from the back end of the bike – seen with my eyes again.

I also saw his face once he eventually got up – again with my eyes.

But sadly no photos. damn.

Basically your a muppet questioning my good honour. I witheld from questioning yours considering all the mince about you on t’internet.

Just felt a word of sanity would be helpful for the O.P’s safety and helping out a fellow mtbr.

Safety in what we do is paramount and a cracked head tube (welds around the headtube- before you say out) is pretty well dangerous on any bike regardless of material. If you would like to test the theory please get the ops bike and repeatedly jump it.

christo

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

oh and I’ve been doing bikes for over 15 years so top that 😉
    edit – crap its actually more than that 🙁

jedi

next to the rows of new frames they sell new faces too 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

So because one frame snapped all frames must snap 😯 ?

Yes I see your point, as for questioning your good honour, I was merely trying to determine the actual events.

Still here is my opinion on the facts, I would be looking for a new frame. I believe that the chances of the frame snapping in two are slim but that if it did, it would be messy.

I saw a bloke with a frame that had more than 10 cracks in it using the frame for DH riding once and it didn’t snap in two 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

might be worth contacting Intense, worst that can happen is they say no, and Ibis have a rep for even supporting owners of used frames.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hang on munqe-chick 😯 where has the rest of your post gone?

The bit about hard science and my saying something along the lines of it won’t break mines didn’t.

Aah well live and let live I suppose. I still think the chances of that frame snapping in two are slim and would just like to say to the OP, what size of frame is that? 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

Christoginger I have no intention of having a go at you, I thought that what you said was a good point.

I’m just winding up toys19 for a laugh on my day off! he thinks it’s funny and so do I so everyone is a winner.

As for the OP, what size is the frame?

nonk
    Free Member

to the OP

the question of if your bike will snap or not has only one answer..

no one knows.

thats the problem with riding a bike with a crack in it.

kaesae
    Free Member

OP, meesterbond. How about I help you to source a new frame, I still have years of ebay trading under my belt and can find you something suitable.

If you’re interested my details are in my profile and I’m happy to help out 😀

Don’t worry I will not wind you up and I will make sure there are no hassles involved on your end if you choose to accept my help!

Ridefree!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Repairable or an ex-frame?’ is closed to new replies.