Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Recommend me a trail running shoe
  • Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

Pounding the pavement doesn’t appeal, but it’s fairly easy to get out to the woods and byways from my house, so I was thinking of giving trail running a bash.

I’m not a regular runner and suffer from coggly ankles (I think the technical term is “pronation”) so I gather I’d be better off with a structured shoe. Might well hate it with a passion, so something cheap-ish preferred. Any pointers before I hit up Go Outdoors?

I’ve got a pair of Adidas adizero. Comfy, light and grippy.
    I also have various pairs of Salomon trainers and boots that all seem to fit me like a glove – so much so that I am prepared to order them online without trying on.
    Go to your local SweatShop (or similar) and try something on. They should chuck you on a running machine to analyse your gait for free and will be able to advise you of what would be best for you.
    I’ve used pod+ down here in Kent and have not had problems…

have a look on the fell runners forum, loads of similar threads.

been looking myself, i also over pronate.

depends what you are looking to pay, me not a lot, and at the lower end rated shoes seem to be more miles cheviot and adidas kanadia.

sportsdirect have loads of new balance, adidas and puma trail shoes cheap. also their own brand karimor, but i did’nt like them when i looked at a pair in my local shop.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Karrimor are shit (of course) but the New Balance from Sports Direct should be worth a punt. Some of them are “exclusive” models (foreign imports I think) but they are a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

re: the pronation issue. If you can solve it yourself (by learning to point your feet forwards when you walk/run) then just do that. Took me about 2 weeks of hard concentration, now it comes naturally. A better idea than a fancy shoe IMO.

alanf

I would say it depends if your are going fully off road or a mix of trial/offroad and road?

Maybe a hybrid type shoe would be more appropriate which doesn’t compromise one or the other too much.

As far as the structured shoe/pronation, this isn’t such an issue off road as you wont be getting a consistent foot strike.

I would recommend going to a running shop and getting some advice and trying different shoes on.

An internet bargain will only be a bargain if its a good fit for you.

FWIW I’m using Brooks Cascadia 7’s which I find really comfortable and give good grip off road.

Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

I’d argue most pronaters don’t want a structured trail shoe, they want something that moulds to the ground, rather than trying to snap your foot into the right position. Depends on your trails, but I’d get something pretty simple and low to the ground, rather than those that look like road shoes with a bit more tread. FWIW I’ve had good luck with Roclite 295, Wave Harriers and NB101 (cheap).

Barefoot. Just to get it out of the way 🙂

boxbuster

I run in and around the woods three times a day with my dogs, I’ve got a pair of Inov-8 Talon X 190’s, most grip I’ve ever had when running off road.

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

I’m thinking of getting a pair of these More Mile Cheviots after recommendations I’ve read (on here as well as elsewhere). Does anyone know how they size up? Price certainly seems OK.
    Cheers.

Premier Icon StuF
    Subscriber

some useful stuff here [/url]

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

I really really like my New Balance 101’s, so much so I stocked up on some when Sports Pursuit were doing them for £22! You can find them cheap online – £35 straight from new balance. They’re a discontinued product though unfortunately 🙁

They are very light, flexible, but not harsh like many minimalist shoes.

If you have narrow feet, they probably aren’t for you.

Also if you heel strike, they might get a bit uncomfortable (as most lightweight running shoes really).

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Barefoot. Just to get it out of the way

Now that someone else has said it, the shoe I do all my running in (trail, pavement, a fair bit of snow/ice this morning) is the Merrell Trail Glove which I find incredibly comfortable and excellent in all conditions except mud. Not particularly cheap though unfortunately.

gonzy

try the adidas kanadia tr4 gtx.
    they’re very comfy with an aggressive and grippy tread. they also have the added bonus of being gore tex lined. if you hunt around you can probably find a pair for under £50.
    the alternative is the asics gel lahar 4 gtx, again at a similar price

GaryLake

Ant: I have no idea on these things myself, but Fi made me buy some Salomon Speedcross 2s and I really like them so far. Horrific colours are available too which you might be interested in.

Edit: they’re not horrible to run in on the road so if you have some asphalt before you get offroad, they’re fine too.

Premier Icon 49er_Jerry
    Subscriber

As already mentioned, it’s less likely that you’ll need an unstructured shoe. Get to a ‘good’ running shop. Where are you in this sceptered isle. There are some good ones and some less good ones.

The best shoe is the one that feels best on your foot. Simple as that. One good indicator of a good fit is that you can hardly hear your foot land on the treadmill at the running shop. Noise is wasted energy.

Trail and fell running benefits from having your foot as close to the ground as possible, within the bounds of comfort.

I use the NB MT101 for trails in winter, NB Minimus trail in summer (useless in slop), VivoBarefoot trails for fell / natural trails all year round.

You’ll find your ankles and feet get stronger over time using less structured shoes because your feet have to work. A warning though, don’t push it too hard too soon. Bones, ligaments, tendons and muscles need time to adapt.

It is fun. Very fun, and very addictive. Before you know it, you’ll be night running in the snow over the hills… 🙂

I got some Adidas Kanadia (spelling!?) which are nice, light and very grippy. Very pleased with them.

I was warned they won’t last long on tarmac, but I don’t run on tarmac.
    Hell I don’t ever run so they’ve lasted me ages 😉

I’ve got the Air Pegasus Trails.

Quote a bit of cushion in them but then again my trail runs also take in a lot of hard pack fire roads.

They seem to work fine for me but I’m not a terribly good runner!

Pieface

I’m trialling some Kanadia’s that I use as my everyday training shoe on trails. Cheap to boot.

Adidas Adizero XTs are an upgraded version of the Kanadia’s – i prefer these as they are lighter and lower profile than the Kanadia’s. They are a bit narrow so the general advice is to go up at least half a size but thats common to all Adidas shoes.
    http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/trolleyed/2/70/94/

Brooks Cascadia are nice but the grip isn’t very aggressive.

New Balance 101s are very good but minimalist so may cause issues with your ankles. I’m a neutral runner and normally run in fell shoes and found that I had to go through a period of ‘adaptation’ with these shoes until I stopped getting sore ankles after a run.

La Sportiva Speedcross are a very nice cushioend fell shoe but I got blisters at the bottom of my big toes.

Mizuno Wave Harriers are very nice but not great on wet rock (but ok) but I found the toe box a bit baggy and therefore painful descending or contouring steep ground.

The INov8 roclites or terroc’s may suit your needs.

Don’t worry about ‘structured’ shoes as even if you do believe the theory trails aren’t perfectly flat and firm so any structure will go out of the window every time you put your foot down.

Go Outdoors aren’t very good, Pete Bland Sports have a sale on at the moment –

Trail shoes http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/trolleyed/2/70/90/

surfer

I’ve got the Air Pegasus Trails

I’ve tried almost every brand over the years and at the moment Nike’s are my favourite. If you are looking for a “trail” shoe then the waffle sole will give you a good level of grip and the cushioning will help when you are on the hard pack and on the inevitable stretch of road too and from the “trail”
    If you are on “fells” proper then you may want a walsh/Inov8 type shoe but they are pretty useless on the road unless you go for one of the hybrid types.

gonzy

I got some Adidas Kanadia (spelling!?) which are nice, light and very grippy. Very pleased with them.

I was warned they won’t last long on tarmac, but I don’t run on tarmac.

its is true that they dont fare very well on tarmac…mine are about 15 months old and i have some flat spots on the tread of both shoes…but given that i paid £30 for them in the sales…they were an absolute bargain especially as the gore tex lining does its job perfectly…

I ran the “Newnham Stinger” last year in the Pegasus they seemed ok and stood up to the bog/hell/river running 3km last section…I’m considering getting something different perhaps a little racier as I’m a slightly stronger runner 12 months on, and the pegasus are to be fair looking pretty ropey now.

I am aware that getting a new shoe a month before a race is perhaps a bit daft..not sure how long my feet take to get used to new shoes…might have a look at the running shop, although I hate to admit I do tend to go to Sports Soccer to buy most running as they are just cheap.

Jamie

My next shoe will be some Cheviot MK2s, as at £29.99, with free socks, they are worth a punt.

surfer

perhaps a little racier as I’m a slightly stronger runner 12 months on, and the pegasus are to be fair looking pretty ropey now

Nowt wrong with the Pegasus for faster stuff I ran 54 mins for 10 in a pair once!

surfer

They do look a bargain Jamie!

Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

I’m in Bristol, can anyone recommend a place to buy? We seem to have a branch of the aforementioned SweatShop.

Horrific colours are available too which you might be interested in.

Oy!

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Nowt wrong with the Pegasus for faster stuff I ran 54 mins for 10 in a pair once!

I’m going to assume you meant miles in which case that is damn good going in my book!

To be fair it is all about the runner IMO. A decent runner will be quick in (almost) any pair of shoes. I realise that won’t go down well on here though, where the only way to get faster is to drop another £3k on a new bike 😆

Jamie

They do look a bargain Jamie!

Innit? The MK1s are only £25. If I didn’t have some Merrell Aeroblocks and some, warranty replacement, Roclite 295s to get through first, I would have already bought some. As they look ideal for floodmageddon type scenarios.

Some views over on FRA, seem positive.

phil.w

I’m in Bristol, can anyone recommend a place to buy?

Moti on Whiteladies road know there stuff, this would be my first point of call. Also try Up&Running in Westbury Park.

And Easy Runner at the bottom of St Michaels hill, though I don’t remember them ever having many off-road shoes.

mikey74

Sorry for the slight hijack, but are Pete Bland usually slow with postage? I ordered my Inov8s last Friday and I’ve received nothing yet.

I had an e-mail on Wednesday saying they were posted on Tuesday, but they haven’t turned up. I assume they are sending them snail-mail.

It’s not a concern, just an observation really.

grantus

Cheviot sizing is spot on for me. I am an 8 in shoes. Needed an 8.5 in New Balance and a 9 in Kanadias. More Mile Cheviot 8 is a generous fit even with thick socks on.

I am impressed with them for 30 quid. Got free socks and a long sleeve micro fleece as well for that price.

The online pics make them look very clumpy but they are surprisingly light. The tread on them stick like shit to a blanket

grantus

the MT101’s fit like slippers. I also liked the NB 749 trail shoe which has a less aggressive tread than the 101 but that is discontinued also. Depending on your size, sport direct were selling MT110 (the replacement for the 101) for 25 quid. Had a size 8 in stock but not 8.5 unfortunately or i’d have gone for them. They’ve reduced the heel toe differential from 10mm in the 101 to 4mm which is comparable with the minimus 10 and 20 but with more cushioning and the upper looks a bit sturdier.

Perhaps the 10mm is what causes ankle soreness in 101 users when running offroad rather than a lack of cushioning??

will

I’ve got the Cheviot 2’s and they are really good. Very light, comfortable, fit well (Size 10 normally and bought a size 10)grip is impressive.

Don’t forget at Startfitness TRACKB2011 gets you 10% off.

mt

Inov8 do just what you are looking for. If you overpronate you need to be lower down and not be on a pair of platforms (loads of EVA). Think about how you run and avoid heel striking, its tough on the calf’s at first (so build it slow, short runs on daily basis) but it will save on your knees. Have fun, running on the soft stuff is really ace.

Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

I went for Kanadias in the end, they just had that bit more shock absorption than the Inov8s which is good as even living right on the edge of the city I need to pound a fair bit pavement to get to the trails.

They feel pretty good but struggle for grip in the proper gloop we have around here. Longest run so far was my first one, 4 miles, which turned out to be a bit more than I was comfortable with. The advice to start slow is definitely good!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a trail running shoe’ is closed to new replies.