• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • renting out a house (In Sheffield) Any tips at agencies etc.
  • GEDA
    Free Member

We need to start renting our house out in Sheffield. Before a friend lived in it. We live in Sweden but still have quite a few friends in Sheffield. Do we go the agency route, like the idea of them sorting out any issues but the question is if they would, anybody know any good ones? How easy is it to rent a large house out in the west of the city? Does it matter if some of the furniture is left? I also have a few big paintings of mine. Don’t know if I should move them.

andyxxx
    Free Member

Sounds like you don’t have any options other than renting it via an Agent (unless u have any more mates wanting to rent)

I have heard loads of horror stories about most of the big agents.

However large houses on the West side of Sheffield rent fairly easily. If you like your paintings – move them.

GEDA
    Free Member

That fills me with confidence. The other option was a mate to be the agent.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickhart
    Free Member

West of the city will rent easily, a friend of mine rented his out in walkley and ended up with long term tennants which worked for him. I think he used elr as renting agents. We used 2roost to sell ours and they were fantastic, not sure but i think they do renting too.
    As for the contents, like has been said if the paintings are precious to you then shift them, big yellow storage? But you could put an insurance clause into your contract.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anywhere near the uni? When I was there they had clauses where if you didn’t pay your rent (even for private landlords) then they could withold your degree.

colande
    Free Member

GEDA – Member
    …. The other option was a mate to be the agent.

how much would it cost to use a agent?
    If it was a trustworthy friend then I would much prefer to give the money to a mate to look after.
    All agents I’ve dealt with as a tenant and also as a landlord have been rubbish. It’s not their property so they move prefer slowly if something goes wrong.

GEDA
    Free Member

Will give a few a ring then. Renting here in sweden is so much better than owning somewhere.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Do NOT rent using Your Move. We’ve had a horrible experience with them in Sheff, as has our neighbour downstairs. they left our sign up for about 3 months before I decided to just bin it. They are unhelpful, expensive (both for us and our landlord) and, amazingly, cannot operate word processing software.

Other than that, I dunno.

simonbowns
    Free Member

When I rented off Hunter’s Bar, Spencers on Ecclesall Road were very good – sorted a couple of problems very quickly.

I’m that side of Sheffield – don’t think you’ll struggle to rent it out.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I live abroad and rent my house in sheffield. We used Blundells to find the tennant, do the credit check, the contract and hold the deposit. we manage the rest ourselves.
    if anything goes wrong, blundells will just call a tradesman. Something you can do just as easily from Sweden.
    It would help though if one of your mates has the keys to the house. just in case.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Blundells and ELR are pretty decent to deal with – professional if a bit pricey. Given you’re in Sweden, I’d suggest paying the premium and having a reasonable size outfit to shout at…

Jamie
    Free Member

*Renton to the thread.*

andyxxx
    Free Member

Anywhere near the uni? When I was there they had clauses where if you didn’t pay your rent (even for private landlords) then they could withold your degree.

Sorry but that is not true and never has been.

Pook

tinas – that was a halls rumour.

Avoid Lewis Wordsworth like the plague. Awful, awful company.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘renting out a house (In Sheffield) Any tips at agencies etc.’ is closed to new replies.